C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Lower radiator hose? 1972 SBC

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 AM
brennano1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Lower radiator hose? 1972 SBC

I ran into a little snag when ordering my new lower radiator hose.

I have a 1972 350 SBC:
4 spd manual
WITH factory air
Installing an Aluminum Radiator
and converting to dual Spal electric fans

I can't find a replacement lower hose that works with all my options. They are either for copper only radiators or 4spd cars without factory air. There's has to be a company selling one that matches the options with all the upgrading that occurs on the C3 radiators.

Thank you
Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If your Vette had factory C60 air conditioning it had a copper/brass radiator use the lower hose for an automatic transmission Corvette....it will be the right one. The continued use of the aluminum Harrison radiator on base engine 350 manual transmission Vettes can create some confusion on radiator hoses....only the low powered base motor Vettes without air conditioning and ultra rare ZR-1 road race package cars had the aluminum radiators ( the ZR-1 radiator is bigger than the base motor radiator )
Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b1,
I think you need to determine just how your new radiator is described (what radiator it's designed to replace) that should indicate which lower hose you should order. (the one for the radiator it's designed to replace.)
If it's just a '1 size fits all radiator' perhaps it'll need a flex hose.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-24-2014, 12:47 PM
brennano1
Advanced

I'm upgrading the cooling system from the stock copper radiator to one from Ecklers. I forget which one. All aluminum.

The flex hose isn't a bad idea. I will have to look into that.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi b1,
I think you need to determine just how your new radiator is described (what radiator it's designed to replace) that should indicate which lower hose you should order. (the one for the radiator it's designed to replace.)
If it's just a '1 size fits all radiator' perhaps it'll need a flex hose.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-24-2014, 03:03 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Since Ecklers is selling you the radiator they should know which hose works with which of their many aluminum radiators you purchased.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:22 PM
brennano1
Advanced

They apologized for not having one.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b1,
I offered the suggestion of a flex hose as a last resort.
When I see them in engine compartments I always think someone has taken the quick, easy, way out…. kinda the same as rubber fuel lines.
I think it would be worth the effort to try to determine the correct lower hose.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-25-2014, 02:16 PM
MelWff
Race Director

what about this hose 4spd with air, if your new radiator is a direct replacement for the copper one it should work, call them.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/cooli...1969-1972.html

Last edited by MelWff; 11-25-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:28 PM
brennano1
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
what about this hose 4spd with air, if your new radiator is a direct replacement for the copper one it should work, call them.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/cooli...1969-1972.html
It's meant for copper only radiator. That's the one I originally had. What I understand is you shouldn't mix the metals.

Fits 4-Speed With Air Conditioning (Copper Radiator)
Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 PM
thb72
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds as if your worried about galvanic action.Your ok here. Think of the rubber hose as a dielectric union.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 PM
brennano1
Advanced

Originally Posted by thb72
It sounds as if your worried about galvanic action.Your ok here. Think of the rubber hose as a dielectric union.
I think the issue is the coil inside the hose is meant to work with copper. The more I look into it it looks like I need to worry about the radiator being grounded well to prevent the galvanic action instead of the hose causing the issue.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Default copper versus aluminum

Originally Posted by brennano1
It's meant for copper only radiator. That's the one I originally had. What I understand is you shouldn't mix the metals.

Fits 4-Speed With Air Conditioning (Copper Radiator)
the difference is the shape of the radiator neck, it has nothing to do with whether the rubber hose has a metal coil, that can be removed, inside the hose
Old 11-26-2014, 01:30 PM
brennano1
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
the difference is the shape of the radiator neck, it has nothing to do with whether the rubber hose has a metal coil, that can be removed, inside the hose
The radiator is a direct fit so I know any of the hoses for the 4spd with air will work. My problem is I don't want to put a hose on the car that will cause issues with acidic coolant. From what I can tell I just need to make sure the radiator has a good ground to the frame to prevent electrolysis.

In the description for the hoses on ecklers website they specifically say to use certain hoses with specific radiator types. My issue is they don't sell a lower radiator hose for a SBC, 4spd with a/c utilizing an aluminum radiator.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Your question has already been answered many times, the copper/brass radiator on an air conditioned Vette is the same as a automatic transmission Vette. There isnt any reaction possible with a rubber hose unless you fill your radiator with gasoline or some similar substance. The radiator your planning on using is an aluminum " direct fit replacement " for a copper/brass style radiator....just because it is aluminum dosent mean it is in any way resembles a Harrison Corvette aluminum radiator which has a entirely different inlet outlet hose location from a copper/brass radiator requiring differently shaped hoses. Your not readily willing to accept suggestions from posters here that are trying to help you, might I suggest you sell your Vette and buy and air cooled VW to eliminate any questions/concerns you may have on water cooled motors and corrosion of that type of cooling system
Old 11-26-2014, 03:28 PM
brennano1
Advanced

[QUOTE=Solid LT1;1588351598]Your question has already been answered many times, the copper/brass radiator on an air conditioned Vette is the same as a automatic transmission Vette. There isnt any reaction possible with a rubber hose unless you fill your radiator with gasoline or some similar substance. The radiator your planning on using is an aluminum " direct fit replacement " for a copper/brass style radiator....just because it is aluminum dosent mean it is in any way resembles a Harrison Corvette aluminum radiator which has a entirely different inlet outlet hose location from a copper/brass radiator requiring differently shaped hoses. Your not readily willing to accept suggestions from posters here that are trying to help you, might I suggest you sell your Vette and buy and air cooled VW to eliminate any questions/concerns you may have on water cooled motors and corrosion of that type of cooling system[/QUOT

Just because it's a direct replacement for a copper/brass style radiator doesn't mean that it doesn't have different specifications for install. My question never was do you know one that will fit. I know of many that will fit. My question was do you know of one that was meant to use with my options and an aluminum radiator. I would imagine there is a reason why they state for copper/brass radiator only when purchasing. I would love to find one without the spring inside. Do you know where I can get one? That's the question.

Below are the descriptions of the hoses at Ecklers:
Part #: 25-10940
Replacement for OE #: 3917669
Price: $19.99 ea.
Availability:
In Stock
Fitment:1968 thru 1972
See applications below for exact details.
This part does not fit a '1972 CORVETTE STINGRAY'

DESCRIPTION
•Replacement
•With Aluminum Radiator
•Without Air Conditioning
•Manual Transmission
•Replaces GM #3917669
Don't need that GM part number stamped on your hose or the GM logo, then this high quality replacement by Eckler's Corvette fits the bill. Made to high standards without all the markings will give you many years of trouble free driving.

The 2nd description is:
Part #: 53126
Replacement for OE #: 3946854
Price: $17.99 ea.
Availability:
In Stock
Fitment:1969 thru 1972
See applications below for exact details.
This part fits a '1972 CORVETTE STINGRAY'
Add Items to CartQty:

DESCRIPTION
•Replacement Hose
•Fits All With Automatic Transmission
•Fits 4-Speed With Air Conditioning (Copper Radiator)
•Eckler's Select Series
This Corvette reproduction lower radiator hose has been manufactured to original factory specifications using today's modern manufacturing techniques. You will find the fit, finish and function will work superbly for your restoration. In addition, using a reproduction lower radiator hose from Eckler's will add authenticity and value to your Corvette.

As you can clearly see above Neither of these work with my options. I don't have a copper radiator and I do have AC. I've never mentioned a Harrison style radiator or different inlet types. If you would read the posts without responding with a smart A@% response you could see this. I want a hose that will not aid in electrolysis.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Lower radiator hose? 1972 SBC

Quick Reply: Which Lower radiator hose? 1972 SBC