C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Grant steering wheel,and no horn!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:40 PM
bobs76stingray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Grant steering wheel,and no horn!!!!!!!!!!

I just installed a new Grant Steering wheel on my 76 Vette,and need to wire my horn up.The horn has never worked on her due to not having a steering wheel when I bought it.All the wiring has been replaced in my vette,Main dash harness,engine,forward lights,ect.Can anyone tell me what wires I need to use to connect to the 2 male prongs on the back of the Grant horn button?I've looked and looked online for answers,and realized if there was anyone who would know,it would be the guys on here.I thankyou in advance for any help you guys can give.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC, there is only one wire in the column for the horn, the other side of the OE horn switch is grounded through the column.

When I installed my Grant, I had to add a ground wire from the second prong to the adapter. Works perfectly.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM
bobs76stingray
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trae1976
IIRC, there is only one wire in the column for the horn, the other side of the OE horn switch is grounded through the column.

When I installed my Grant, I had to add a ground wire from the second prong to the adapter. Works perfectly.
Great,But which one of all those wires is the horn wire?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs76stingray
Great,But which one of all those wires is the horn wire?
How many loose wires do you have in your column?

I can pull out my wiring diagram and find the color of the OE wire. However, you mentioned that all of your wiring has been replaced, so that info may be irrelevant for you. I would suggest some checking with a multimeter - the connection at the horn is easy to get to, should be able to find the column end pretty quickly.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:23 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Shouldn't the harness wire be constantly hot that plugs into the column harness for the horn?
On my '68 there is a separate 2-prong connector just for the horn (one wire is constant HOT/the other wire is a frame ground)

If you have single wires dangling, Use your multimeter/voltmeter to find the constant HOT wire.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:52 PM
bobs76stingray
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Shouldn't the harness wire be constantly hot that plugs into the column harness for the horn?
On my '68 there is a separate 2-prong connector just for the horn (one wire is constant HOT/the other wire is a frame ground)

If you have single wires dangling, Use your multimeter/voltmeter to find the constant HOT wire.
Thats just it,there is only one wire to the horn that I've been able to find and it is a ground wire and part of the main wiring harness.Your setup is the way it should be on all vettes.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs76stingray
Thats just it,there is only one wire to the horn that I've been able to find and it is a ground wire and part of the main wiring harness.Your setup is the way it should be on all vettes.
Well....if you can't find the correct wire.....run a correct-color wire (according to the wiring diagram) from the horn relay terminal through the firewall to the column.....fishe it up to the horn contact at the top of the column where the horn button snaps on and connect it....

OR...........

find the horn fuse in the fuse box/panel........find the "output wire" that the fuse feeds.....connect THAT WIRE to the horn contact at the top of the column where the button snaps on.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

There isn't a 12 volt hot lead for the horn in your steering column. What you do have is a ground going through the column. I'd verify the problem is actually IN the column before digging in. Find the ground lead leading from the column and simply give it a good ground. If the horn blows, the issue IS in the column. If it doesn't blow, it isn't in the column

Get notified of new replies

To New Grant steering wheel,and no horn!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: New Grant steering wheel,and no horn!!!!!!!!!!