C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spacer for Edlebrock air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:14 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default spacer for Edlebrock air cleaner

The air cleaner doesn't sit tight on the carb as the linkage on the left top of the carb interferes with the bottom pan of the air cleaner. Mind you, it's very slight but enough to cause a sealing issue. I bought the smallest riser for the air cleaner as I could knowing I had very little clearance to work with. However, the plastic ring will not fit around the carb. It fits to the bottom of the air cleaner, but not enough diameter to clear the carb linkage. Some of this linkage will overlap on the "inside" of the bottom air cleaner pan.

I only need about 1/8 inch rise. Or is there another air cleaner I can apply here such as the Tri-Flow. I don't know if I would have the same issue with it or not.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:48 PM
dprinter1
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnance
The air cleaner doesn't sit tight on the carb as the linkage on the left top of the carb interferes with the bottom pan of the air cleaner. Mind you, it's very slight but enough to cause a sealing issue. I bought the smallest riser for the air cleaner as I could knowing I had very little clearance to work with. However, the plastic ring will not fit around the carb. It fits to the bottom of the air cleaner, but not enough diameter to clear the carb linkage. Some of this linkage will overlap on the "inside" of the bottom air cleaner pan.

I only need about 1/8 inch rise. Or is there another air cleaner I can apply here such as the Tri-Flow. I don't know if I would have the same issue with it or not.
Have you thought about doing a "forming adjustment" to bottom of the pan? Forming adjustments in my regular line of work are also known as bending, or reshaping it with a hammer
Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

When I went from a Q-let to a spreadbore I had similar problem. Purchased a 1/4" spacer from 'Behlings' in Butler, Wisc. Under $10. Excellent piece, Aluminum with an o-ring on 1 side. If you need more info let me know and I'll dig it up 4 you. T
Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dprinter1
Have you thought about doing a "forming adjustment" to bottom of the pan? Forming adjustments in my regular line of work are also known as bending, or reshaping it with a hammer
I have re-clearanced, re-radiused, and often malletiized the part in question in these situations.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

I decided to take to the rubber mallet and reform it. Seems to have worked, can't tell since it's under the air filter.

The problem I was also having was a little run-on when turning the engine off. That appears to have quit now that there's no pressure on the carb linkage.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:29 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Just a quick question. With the way my mind works, I'd like to throw an idea for a slight spacer (and sealing) solution to my original problem. If I were to get a small diameter vacuum hose trim to fit exactly the same radius as the lip of the bottom pan of the air cleaner, slit it on one side and fit it,....wouldn't that create a slight "lift" and also seal the bottom pan to the carb?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Majoho
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you need only 1/8" more clearance, how about stacking a couple of extra air cleaner base gaskets?

Last edited by Majoho; 01-11-2015 at 03:11 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Majoho
If you need only 1/8" more clearance, how about stacking a couple of extra air cleaner base base gaskets?
This what I did until I found what I wanted.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 AM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Majoho
If you need only 1/8" more clearance, how about stacking a couple of extra air cleaner base gaskets?
I thought about that but the gasket that is there now is just a few hairs too large in diameter and the base of the air cleaner doesn't sit good on it. I don't know if the current gasket is just stretched but I figured the vacuum hose is a cheap method.

Get notified of new replies

To spacer for Edlebrock air cleaner

Quick Reply: spacer for Edlebrock air cleaner