C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 vette Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 AM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 79 vette Brake light switch

Just a quick question. The brake light switch on my 79 has 2 two spade connectors. The forward connector is for the brake lights, circuit closed when brake depressed. The back set of connectors, circuit open when brake depressed. I do have cruise on the car which is not working, but also has it's own switch. Could someone tell me what the back connector is for. The pink wire leading to it has 12v on it with the key on. I was thinking about using the back connector to disengage my lock up solenoid when I break.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

if you look at vendor sites the manual transmission brake switch in 79 had only one set of spades, the switch for cruise control on automatics had your type of switch. You dont have the wiring diagrams?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:03 AM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by MelWff
if you look at vendor sites the manual transmission brake switch in 79 had only one set of spades, the switch for cruise control on automatics had your type of switch. You dont have the wiring diagrams?
I do have a wiring diagram, but it only shows 2 wires to the stop light switch. I am thinking to just tap into the wiring harness that attaches to the back of the break switch and take my switched 12v from there. That way, when the brake is depressed, the converter will unlock. Was just wondering what the second set of contactors operate.
Thanks
Clyde
Old 01-15-2015, 12:07 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

the second set of contacts is for the cruise control. power fed from fuse box 20A by a pink wire. i used that set of contacts for converter unlock on my 2004R.... since my CC didnt work either.
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune.../index21.shtml
Old 01-15-2015, 04:46 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by speedreed8
the second set of contacts is for the cruise control. power fed from fuse box 20A by a pink wire. i used that set of contacts for converter unlock on my 2004R.... since my CC didnt work either.
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune.../index21.shtml
Thanks speedreed8, I tapped into the red wire which is hot when the switch is depressed or brakes off and has no power when the brake is depressed. Bench testing shows everything working as should. I left the connector hooked up just in case I decide to trouble shoot the CC. Now to find the port for the 4 gear pressure switch. My 4th gear pressure switch is 2 wire and is plumbed into the transmission with a piece of copper tubing. TCI sent me a new one with an 1/8" NPT thread which they recommend using.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 vette Brake light switch

Quick Reply: 79 vette Brake light switch