C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped Door Panel Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:01 PM
MBrianB
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Warped Door Panel Solution

My door panels have been off the car since the PO took them off in 1997. I just purchased the car this January.

They were warped when I tried to put them on. The top had bent upward so much that it would not overlap the metal tabs on the door and they had bowed so much that there was about four or more inched between the door and the panel when the top was generally where it should have been.

Looking at spending $500 plus for new panels and then swapping all the trim and carpet panels over I searched the forum for a possible solution. It seems that water and/or steam did not work for others.
I thought that there must have been some sort of plasticizer in the fiberboard on the backing material. Heat alone might do the trick.

I attached cargo straps around the panels putting tension on the top part that has the felt wiper. I set the heat gun on high and heated the back side moving back and forth along the crease and then alternately heating and tightening the straps and the backer material did actually soften and I was able to put a permanent bend in the top panel where it needed to be.

I test fit the panel and it still needed to have a slight bow in the wiper area to match the door as the tabs only connected in the front and the back. Back to the heat gun all along the top third of the panel and then while the panel was still hot and pliable I mounted it on the door and with a little persuasion with a rubber mallet I got it on and the door panel put in place.

It takes some time to do this and it would be better if I had some help and another heat gun to keep it hot in more places at once.

Also do this outside as the plasticisers in the fiberboard give off fumes. I had the get the fiberboard hot enough that it started to turn color to get it to be flexible enough to bend correctly.

As I had nothing to lose it might be worth a try for you also.
The following users liked this post:
drjture (03-10-2024)
Old 02-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi MBB,
Consider yourself fortunate to have door panels with fiberboard backing.
The originals were fiberboard, while most reproduction panels have black abs backing.
The reproduction panels (even NEW) offer serious challenges in installation too… again dealing with warps in the panels.
Some people would give various parts of their bodies for really nice original panels with fiberboard backing!!!!
Thanks for the installation hints!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nice work!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Alan, one of mine has a hole, back top with a screw and washer holding it to the door, otherwise nice are you saying that I should try to find an orginal panel, or even mend mine, it's only driver condition I am seeking...
Old 02-20-2015, 04:51 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Place the door panel on sawhorses with the trim-side facing up so the straps can be used where needed.....

then place a heat lamp on the garage floor facing upward at the back side of the panel for several hours allows the heat to soak in thoroughly.....

tighten the straps as needed to remove the warpage (I try to slightly over-correct the warped areas because when the panel cools, it distorts slightly)

just make sure the door panel does not overheat (as in smoke-melting of vinyl material)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:55 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I'll try that out next time I have the door panels off! That is a very common problem with these cars and mine are shaped like potato chips! I barely got the passenger side on, the last time I did this recently.

Get notified of new replies

To Warped Door Panel Solution

Quick Reply: Warped Door Panel Solution