C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.6 rockers on aluminum heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM
caryb78
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1.6 rockers on aluminum heads

I saw some comments in a thread that said there could be some problems with 1.6 rockers on aluminum heads - what kind of problems? Would like to hear from some people that have installed 1.6 rockers on aluminum heads and how it worked out.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm on that other thread I started it.

Anyways I stopped by the shop tonight as my heads were just finished with the 1:6 ratio scorpion roller rockers and no issues from the machienist at the old race shop. They will go on this weekend and look really good on my cheap procomp China heads. I don't forsee any issues. This guy used to build my A MOD motors so I trust his work.

I was curious about your statement on the other thread and asked him about both my 1:6 and yours. I told him that I heard that 1:6 wouldn't work and he laughed and then showed me my heads with 1:6 RR on them. He asked where i heard that and I told him on the corvette forum and he stated well then I better start calling a bunch of people to let them know that the 1:6 won't work.

Moreover, we got to talking and more and more local racers are making the switch to procomp heads because they flow really well when reworked and machined. Plus when you blow them up they are only $800 to get a new set instead of well over $2500 for a set of brodix heads.

You should have ZERO issues with your 1:6 roller rockers. These guys race for a living and thier motors habitually place in the top 3.....so when they speak I listen.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got them on my car with alum heads, never had
any problems
Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
any problems
My wife's 78 has a ZZ4 crate motor with the stock GM 58cc aluminum heads. I installed the GM "hot cam" and GM 1:6 roller rockers that are recommended by GM for the engine. No problems in the last 7 years and the rockers do fit under the stock GM center bolt valve covers.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by caryb78
I saw some comments in a thread that said there could be some problems with 1.6 rockers on aluminum heads - what kind of problems? Would like to hear from some people that have installed 1.6 rockers on aluminum heads and how it worked out.
I thought everyone was using 1.6 on their alum heads. I've got ProFiler 195s (every bit as good as AFRs in the lift range that I use). I suspect someone may have had trouble using the 1.6 on stock iron heads, but those can usually be lightly modified for pushrod location.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
any problems
Same here.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Wether they are Aluminum or cast makes no difference.... I think most aftermarket heads now will accommodate a 1.6RR.... but this is not 100% in all cases. Some of the World heads will not, or at least used not to, accept any RR over 1.52 which is why Comp-cams made them.

And just because a head is Aluminum, does not make it preform any better than a cast... they are just lighter, and can handle another .5 compression bump... other than that, no difference.

A machine shop can fix this though, if needed.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Being a rookie.....I read that a few people had trouble with studs working loose in heads....maybe incorrect installation?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Being a rookie.....I read that a few people had trouble with studs working loose in heads....maybe incorrect installation?
I.6 rockers apply extra stress on the rocker stud, most stock heads have pressed in studs which may or may not take 1.6's. Another are of concern is to make sure the pushrod clears through out the entire lift cycle, if it doesn't the holes that the pushrods run through the head may need enlarging.

DO MA NEU!

Last edited by bluedawg; 02-26-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1.6 rockers on aluminum heads

Quick Reply: 1.6 rockers on aluminum heads