C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical short & high voltage reading

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:44 PM
ajmiceli22
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical short & high voltage reading

I recently bought a 78 silver anniversary with an electrical short. The previous owner installed a simple knife switch on the positive side of the battery so the short doesn't drain the battery when not running. I replaced the old battery with a new one. Now at idle the voltage tac reads a little high but when I accelerate the voltage tac goes into the red and there is major static when the radio is on. When i come off the accelerator static clears but voltage tac still reads very high.
Could I have a bad ground somewhere? or a bad alternator?
Any advice would be helpful. I don't know where to begin looking for the problem
Thanks
Old 02-27-2015, 06:51 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Put a voltmeter between the case and output stud of the alternator. If that doesn't read around 14V with the car running then take the alternator off and get it tested.

Honestly, there really is no way to get a high voltage unless the alternator is bad. Basically, the regulator has gone bad and is stuck full-on all the time.

Don't keep driving it like it is because it'll just kill anything electronic and blow light bulbs.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 PM
ajmiceli22
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Put a voltmeter between the case and output stud of the alternator. If that doesn't read around 14V with the car running then take the alternator off and get it tested.

Honestly, there really is no way to get a high voltage unless the alternator is bad. Basically, the regulator has gone bad and is stuck full-on all the time.

Don't keep driving it like it is because it'll just kill anything electronic and blow light bulbs.
Thanks I'll start there.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

When my 69 first got here and I got it running ( modded, non bubba car ) it had a short that would drain the battery fast, I found it when I placed a hand on the non working wiper motor it was hot as hell..disconnected it and the battery didn't drain.

Then one day I was driving early even and thought damnnit man am I having an optical migraine, the dash , headlights etc got bright as hell and the amp gauge was whacking out...in my case like the other fellow said my alt had gone bad...I got lucky didn't toast anything.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

A bad regulator (inside the alternator) can cause a constant drain
Old 02-28-2015, 06:26 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The light delay timer is a famous fault that kills batteries
Old 03-01-2015, 12:40 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

A shorted regulator would explain both the battery drain and the voltage fluctuating with rpm so I'd start there before checking other things.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:05 PM
ajmiceli22
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
A shorted regulator would explain both the battery drain and the voltage fluctuating with rpm so I'd start there before checking other things.
thanks for the help. Tested the battery was reading 18 volt while running. pulled out the old alternator and replaced with a new one, retested and now working perfectly 14 volts. I appreciate all the info

Get notified of new replies

To electrical short & high voltage reading

Quick Reply: electrical short & high voltage reading