C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have any Problems with VBP Adj Poly Strut Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Default Anyone Have any Problems with VBP Adj Poly Strut Rods?

Working on the car yesterday and noticed the rear wheels had a noticeable increase of negative camber. After raising the car up. I see pieces of the bushing under the car. I put a steel bar under the drivers wheel and lift and pieces fall out of the rod where it connects under the rear.
Bought and installed about 7 years ago when I went through the TA's, brakes etc.
I thought poly was supposed to last longer than rubber. No oil or anything on them. Called VBP and no warranty or any explanations. Have a nice day! So not sure which direction to go. Replace with another like set, or upgrade to rods with heim end or go back to stock.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did VBP offer to sell you new bushings?
Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 PM
TROPIC_THUNDER
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my car in storage for 3 years. I jacked the car up and every freaking bushing underneath did that same exact thing. VB&P said it was a texas weather thing.. Not f@#K*ng funny. all were bought from them. every freaking bushing. I had to pay to replace them. They advertise better and last longer then rubber BULLS$#T!!!!! your not the only one.. Even the front trailing arm bushing broke. I had to pull every suspension part back off.. :smas h::sm ash:

this was 2 month ago. I took pictures of everything. Funny thing is mine were about 7 years old also..

Last edited by TROPIC_THUNDER; 03-21-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:39 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I better check on my suspension as well. It's all VB&P. I'm in California, so no excuses!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 AM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Did VBP offer to sell you new bushings?
No, only solution was to replace the strut rods!!
Glad the rest of my suspension is oem style rubber!!
Not like there was a lot of wear. I've put less than 4,000 miles in 9 years that i have owned the car.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:19 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Something is not right here obviously…not all poly bushings are the same..different quality like everything else in life….tires are all round but the rubber in a Michelin is going to be superior to a chinese made tire.

I had poly bushings in my stock strut rods for 20 years and replaced them a few years ago with the Competition adjustable heim joint struts. The poly was perfect in the strut rods but they did squeak…annoying….The Comp Struts are SUPERIOR to all the other struts…no bushings to flex, quiet, really plants the rear suspension with little to no loss in ride quality.

I also have poly upper and lower control arm bushings-perfect. Replaced the front poly sway bar end links last year…30 years old.

All my poly are/were from different vendors, not from VBP….surprised they did not help you out...
Old 03-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Poly bushings will DIE! with age, rubber might rot but, it is a slower process to the failure of Poly parts. They can also fail because if you look at the movement of the suspension, the outer strut rod ends move in a different arc than the inner ends...something has to give! I find the pre 1974 model year strut rods work quite well in street/performance applications, I have even used stock in some autocross applications. They need to make a strut rod with a " Johnnny Joint " style end to allow for the roation of the outer end or you can do like one old guy told me....leave one locking nut off when you run them....NOT ME!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Same thing happed to me, went with heim joints instead.....damned trailing arm bushings did the same thing, went back with poly like a fool. They gave me some story about climate too....climate on an impervious material?? I don't think so.... I think they had a batch if cheap Chinese crap, I hope if they did, they learned their lesson. I bought new trailing arm bushing from them because I didn't learn my lesson??? No, I trusted that they were now selling the good stuff and they couldn't simply say they were at one time selling junk.....we'll see. They have been a good company to deal with in the past.
Jim
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed that this has been coming up quite often in the past 4 months or so... lots of people reporting failures and/or unexpected deterioration of poly bushings anywhere and everywhere on the car, but especially on suspension components. So at least you know you're not the only one having this problem.

This is part of the reason I decided to go with stock rubber each time I need to replace bushings.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, looks like I just joined this club.
Noticed my rear camber was more negative.
Crawled under the rear end and I pulled half circle pieces of what I think is poly bushings. They just crumbled and are hard/brittle plastic feeling. They are VB&P adjustable strut rods.
Maybe 2000 miles and about 5 years old. Garage kept.
Took a mirror and flashlight I can see detoriation on both ends of each strut rod.
Same question applies... is this normal and what should I replace them with....?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you guys driving enough? I put the VBP rods w/ poly bushings in mine and love them. But I've only had them for about 1 year. The thing I am learning about these C3's is if you don't drive them, they will punish you when you finally do. They need lots of love. (kinda remind you of women in general). I drive mine almost everyday.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:37 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Note that squeaking poly is binding poly, which is never a good thing. YMMV, but poly really isn't all that well suited to use for components which inherently move in 3D (i.e., camber struts, TAs). I would highly recommend either upgrading to heim-jointed camber struts (preferably eliminating the eccentrics also) or just sticking with rubber; the latter being sufficient for those more concerned with rumors of additional cabin noise than handling.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't trash the rods it ends. You can out new bushings in those. If you go back with poly they slip right in.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:56 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you do decide to replace the bushings with new poly bushings, you might want to contact Prothane Suspension Parts at 888-406-2330 and see if they can supply you with exact replacement bushings in the correct size. They have been supplying polyurethane bushings for high performance applications for a very long time.

Poly bushings are like a lot of things, you get what you pay for and PST bushings are not the cheapest on the market.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

I got my new poly bushings from Prothane. Thanks Gusto for the tip. I hope they last longer than my VBP bushings. These new ones come with a lifetime warranty. Lifetime = less than 5 years...
Here are a few pics. I am pretty pissed that these basically disentagrated. It's like they were baked in a 1000* F oven, and they just crumble to the touch. Maybe 2000 miles, less than 5 years old.

I have a question: The right and left labels on these adjustable strut rods are a little confusing. I remember because of the geometry that they only seem to fit one way from side to side on my 82. I cannot remember if the knuckles were attached to the rods or not when I bought them. The driver side had the "right" label on the tire side and the "left" label on the diffy side. Before I pulled the strut rod, I noticed that the strut rod knuckle was basically metal on metal on the T/A mount on the back ear. Anyone advise on what to check on re-installation?
This is a weekend bruiser. No racing/auto crossing, etc.
What do you guys think of these pics. Normal... wear...

Old 07-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks for the follow up.
Are the bushing part # 71202?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Thanks for the follow up.
Are the bushing part # 71202?
Nope. I got 71203 75-82 yr model, 1 3/8 "

The prior years are 1 3/16".

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Have any Problems with VBP Adj Poly Strut Rods?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Well, looks like I just joined this club.
Noticed my rear camber was more negative.
Crawled under the rear end and I pulled half circle pieces of what I think is poly bushings. They just crumbled and are hard/brittle plastic feeling. They are VB&P adjustable strut rods.
Maybe 2000 miles and about 5 years old. Garage kept.
Took a mirror and flashlight I can see detoriation on both ends of each strut rod.
Same question applies... is this normal and what should I replace them with....?
After I bought a new set. I called VBP to complain about the struts and the poly on the composite spring. They sent me the pieces for the spring. They will sell you just the poly bushings for the struts. Never admitted any problem with their poly other than the "Florida Heat" is a problem for the poly. Amazing that I have some original rubber on my 72 that has outlasted the 7 year old poly, that is supposed to last longer!! LOL
Old 07-25-2015, 10:10 PM
waljr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be some alternatives
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...MobileSwitchNo
Old 07-25-2015, 10:14 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waljr
VBP makes a strut with the heim joints and no poly. Cost is almost double.

Quick Reply: Anyone Have any Problems with VBP Adj Poly Strut Rods?