Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying Roof..??? How? Electronics needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 09:38 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 493 Likes on 334 Posts

Default Flying Roof..??? How? Electronics needed?

Ok all you coupe deville people: Help me understand how we can forget to latch roof. My understanding the ONLY way to put the roof back in is to swivel OUT the latches for it to go in at all. If you lay it on roof with the latches in closed position it won't even look like the roof is on... SO, when you swing the latches out even if you forget to close it, its perpendicular to the windscreen and in your face...How can we miss that? Please tell me Im missing something as this IS scary... No, we don't need an electronic notice for the roof latches, GM has enough problems...
The following 5 users liked this post by V Vette:
Acpantera (04-28-2024), Ed Cordes (04-29-2024), jmeyer58 (04-29-2024), Kevin A Jones (04-28-2024), Ron78Z&66Vette (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 09:53 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,312 Posts

34-years driving Corvettes --- almost 1,000,000 miles -- flying roof? No way!
The following 5 users liked this post by 4thC4at60:
Acpantera (04-28-2024), Kevin A Jones (04-28-2024), Ron78Z&66Vette (04-29-2024), tadda (04-28-2024), V Vette (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 09:59 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

On my 8th Corvette and the closest to a flying roof was my C6 targa top flapping in the wind due to GM using the wrong glue on them.

Hard to explain how one could go flying otherwise.
The following 2 users liked this post by wayback:
Ron78Z&66Vette (04-29-2024), V Vette (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 09:59 AM
Acpantera
Pro

Received 526 Likes on 233 Posts

There is a dash warning that my phone is still in the charger, but I still leave it from time to time.
Wifes Genesis has a voice telling you left it in the charger. I don't think you can idiot proof everything.
The following 3 users liked this post by Acpantera:
Didier9 (04-28-2024), Lit (04-29-2024), V Vette (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:00 AM
Bluehinder
Drifting

Received 1,286 Likes on 528 Posts

Darwin awards.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehinder:
Acpantera (04-28-2024), Ed Cordes (04-29-2024), Ron78Z&66Vette (04-29-2024)
EvanD
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 199 Posts

It happens but like anything we have to think about the things we do. Like seeing a car with the fuel door open.
The following users liked this post:
Ron78Z&66Vette (04-29-2024)
Didier9
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Ok all you coupe deville people: Help me understand how we can forget to latch roof. My understanding the ONLY way to put the roof back in is to swivel OUT the latches for it to go in at all. If you lay it on roof with the latches in closed position it won't even look like the roof is on... SO, when you swing the latches out even if you forget to close it, its perpendicular to the windscreen and in your face...How can we miss that? Please tell me Im missing something as this IS scary... No, we don't need an electronic notice for the roof latches, GM has enough problems...
Here is the sequence of events for me.
1) when I remove the roof, I do not fold back the handles before stowing the roof, so the roof is ready to be put back on. That's the difference between what I did and what you assumed I did above. I would need 3 hands (at least) to push back the handles while holding the roof
2) when I put the roof back on the car, I slightly press on it from outside to make it go all the way down because at first I did not do it and when trying to turn the latches from inside if the roof is not completely in place, sometimes it would get stuck, and I had to go back outside to align it better. By pushing it down, I know it is ready to be latched.
3) as described in my original post, I was distracted and forgot to get back in the car to latch the roof after pushing it down. Since the roof was apparently in place when looking from outside, I went home.
4) when I got back in the car early in the morning, it was still somewhat dark outside and I did not notice the handles were not in position. Black handles against a black background with limited light, it is easy to miss. I missed it even though I had to click on the garage door opener to open the gate! That's the part that blows me the most because I had to look up to press the right button, and I did not notice the handles being sideways, not even 2 inches from the button I pressed.... I was as awake as one can be when going to work at 6:30 in the morning.

I have since put yellow tape on the handles, and before I get on the highway (where the speed goes from ~35 to ~65), I have caught myself looking at the handles. The yellow tape makes it easy to see if the handles are not in place, even without specifically looking so if I can keep up with that, I will be OK.
Anyhow, it is getting quite a bit warmer in NW Florida this time of year, so the roof probably won't come off until fall now.
dohabandit (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:02 AM
Didier9
Racer

Originally Posted by Acpantera
There is a dash warning that my phone is still in the charger, but I still leave it from time to time.
Wifes Genesis has a voice telling you left it in the charger. I don't think you can idiot proof everything.
and at one point or another, we have all been idiots... (no offence meant, just a fact of life. You can disagree but I won't change my mind)
The following 2 users liked this post by Didier9:
800steve (04-28-2024), Acpantera (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:05 AM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 160 Posts

I’m on my fifth corvette, all but one had a removable top. So far I’ve removed the top on the four, zero times. If I wanted an open air vehicle, I’d get a Harley. But I know I’m in the minority.
The following 3 users liked this post by dale fehrenbach:
Bluehinder (04-28-2024), Glen e (04-28-2024), Michael A (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:12 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dale fehrenbach
I’m on my fifth corvette, all but one had a removable top. So far I’ve removed the top on the four, zero times. If I wanted an open air vehicle, I’d get a Harley. But I know I’m in the minority.
You mean about the Hardly?
Old 04-28-2024, 10:14 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Didier9
Here is the sequence of events for me.
1) when I remove the roof, I do not fold back the handles before stowing the roof, so the roof is ready to be put back on. That's the difference between what I did and what you assumed I did above. I would need 3 hands (at least) to push back the handles while holding the roof
2) when I put the roof back on the car, I slightly press on it from outside to make it go all the way down because at first I did not do it and when trying to turn the latches from inside if the roof is not completely in place, sometimes it would get stuck, and I had to go back outside to align it better. By pushing it down, I know it is ready to be latched.
3) as described in my original post, I was distracted and forgot to get back in the car to latch the roof after pushing it down. Since the roof was apparently in place when looking from outside, I went home.
4) when I got back in the car early in the morning, it was still somewhat dark outside and I did not notice the handles were not in position. Black handles against a black background with limited light, it is easy to miss. I missed it even though I had to click on the garage door opener to open the gate! That's the part that blows me the most because I had to look up to press the right button, and I did not notice the handles being sideways, not even 2 inches from the button I pressed.... I was as awake as one can be when going to work at 6:30 in the morning.

I have since put yellow tape on the handles, and before I get on the highway (where the speed goes from ~35 to ~65), I have caught myself looking at the handles. The yellow tape makes it easy to see if the handles are not in place, even without specifically looking so if I can keep up with that, I will be OK.
Anyhow, it is getting quite a bit warmer in NW Florida this time of year, so the roof probably won't come off until fall now.
But like I mentioned , even if you don't fold the handles back, they are sticking in your face (they need to be opened all the way to get on) when your sitting.. you were driving with the handles sticking out at you ? That's how mine are if I don't close them... Maybe paint your handles RED?

Last edited by V Vette; 04-28-2024 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:47 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,222 Likes on 832 Posts

There isn't a living soul in this world who hasn't done something that is seeming impossible and certainly stupid to do....In fact Corvette drivers probably do more than their share of impossibly stupid things....... We might be a smidge better than mustang drivers...maybe, but I mean what other group of people will buy a 100k dollar car and sit in the garage swigging beer and looking at it but never drive it...

Come on corvette peeps keep your rocks in your pocket... **** HAPPENS.

I do agree should be a sensor to let you know if its unlatched....especially with what it could do flying off on a highway...
The following 2 users liked this post by hawkgfr:
92_383LT4 (04-28-2024), Acpantera (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 01:14 PM
Didier9
Racer

Originally Posted by dale fehrenbach
I never had a convertible, never wished for one. I had sun roofs in many previous cars, hardly ever used them. My wife is the "convertible" person in the family (she really enjoys the targa roof in her car). Yet, when I got my C8 last year, I found taking the roof off for short trips enjoyable, like coming home from work. Not so much for longer trips. But yes, I get a lot more air on my Yamaha FZ1
Old 04-28-2024, 01:18 PM
Didier9
Racer

Originally Posted by V Vette
But like I mentioned , even if you don't fold the handles back, they are sticking in your face (they need to be opened all the way to get on) when your sitting.. you were driving with the handles sticking out at you ? That's how mine are if I don't close them... Maybe paint your handles RED?
The handles do not stick out, they are flat against the roof. I am not short 5'11" and I have the seat pretty far back to be comfortable.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:49 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

The handles do not stick out, they are flat against the roof. I am not short 5'11" and I have the seat pretty far back to be comfortable.
You misunderstood....You have to "open" them up to install top, hence they stick (toward driver) out perpendicular to windscreen. Im 6'1" and If I put top on and do NOT close latches, they stick out and I clearly see them.. THE OP indicated "when I remove the roof, I do not fold back the handles before stowing the roof, so the roof is ready to be put back on"..... We all know **** happens and I thank the OP for alerting us all to this potential danger.

Last edited by V Vette; 04-28-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Acpantera (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 02:38 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 981 Likes on 510 Posts
Tech Contributor

I definitely think there are convertible people, and not convertible people… Put me in the not convertible category, I have never had my roof off on my C7 nor my C8, I just don’t like the buffeting and the potential that I could drop the roof when trying to do it by myself. it’s also a major production for me because I have my backend loaded with detailing supplies, additional crap, etc., etc. My brother is exactly the opposite. He’s got a 5.0 Mustang convertible and his top is down anytime he can possibly do it even if it causes him to get cold or hot in Philly…. to each his own…
Old 04-28-2024, 02:43 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Personally, not sure how it happens, but there are a lot of related posts, particularly w/the C7s. Nonetheless, there are door, hood, hatch… and even tailgate ajar sensors. Adding one to the roof is long overdue.

Get notified of new replies

To Flying Roof..??? How? Electronics needed?

Old 04-28-2024, 03:24 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,233 Likes on 3,421 Posts

There is already a sensor in the roof pin that shuts off the interior motion detector when the roof is removed on the 2LT/3LT cars. However that probably would still show that the roof is in place even if it was just set in place. It gets a little more complicated to verify the latches are in the closed position since they are on the roof. Not impossible, just more complicated.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:55 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 252 Posts

https://www.flyingroofs.com/
Acpantera (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 04:27 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,891 Likes on 5,663 Posts

and at one point or another, we have all been idiots... (no offence meant, just a fact of life. You can disagree but I won't change my mind)
I don't believe it's idiotic at all but more a matter of being responsible. You have to realize that you are preforming a task that if not done correctly could possibly kill someone of even an entire family and you can't allow yourself to be distracted until you are 100%s sure that you have secured your targa top safely.

Not sure what bothers me the most about this subject, that people allow it to happen or so many thinking it 's a joke/funny. "Flying Roof Club".

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 04-28-2024 at 04:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
saleen556 (04-28-2024), V Vette (04-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Flying Roof..??? How? Electronics needed?