C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody mounted seats directly to floor to gain headroom?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default Anybody mounted seats directly to floor to gain headroom?

Im 6'6 so Im not concerned about retaining the sliding function of the seats. Has anybody come up with a simple set of rails that will mount the seat frame directly to the floor to pick up an inch or two of headroom and mount them as far aft as possible?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 362 Likes on 250 Posts

I would just take out the T-Top insert
Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

should have mentioned, its a convertible....the windshield frame is right at eye level...it would be nice to sit an inch or so lower in the car for a better view AND additional head room.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what Im doing with my fiero seats.1/4" aluminum bracket front to back on the floor with 1/4" Cross pieces bolted to the seat. Pushed it back as far as it would go and bolt the cross pieces to the floor bracket. Im 6' but it was the same thing, sitting the seat on the stock sliders on the floor put windshield frame at eye level for me as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:37 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you search on C5 seat install methods you'll find several threads detailing the brackets made to mount seats directly to the floor boards

Jim
Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

excellent, thanks guys!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I realize this won't help your line of sight but the member's idea about removing the headliners makes the interior feel a little roomier.....I spray-painted my hardtop interior after I removed the headliner to help it blend in better.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 AM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A4 Corbeau's mounted on the floor with only the tilt movement front and back. Plenty of room but I guess I'm cheating at only being 5' 9". Still doing it that way stops the family from asking "Can I drive?".
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

6'5" here, I took off the back mount brackets, and thinned out the carpeting/padding under the front, when I redid the seats years ago, I used the OEM padding because it sagged a bit, and so removed some of the slats/springs in the seat bottom, along with the seat belt cover for extra clearance....easy to tell the seating modified as the seat top is a good 2" lower than the pass seat.....picked up another inch+ on the seat bottom mods....'72 vert

Old 03-31-2015, 09:08 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Im looking at possibly going with an aftermarket/Fiero seat bolted directly to the floor....I really don't want to tear up perfectly good factory seats in excellent condition. I am curious, for those that made brackets to bolt to the floor...any concern about aluminum brackets potentially cracking, or breaking in an accident (although I suppose the entire car is going to fold up like an accordion so the seat brackets are probably the least of your worries in an actual accident.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The seats are not what holds you in place during an accident. The seat belt does. So the stress on seat brackets is not much.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

That makes sense now that I think about it. Does anybody know the width of the factory seats? I know guys have been able to fit the Corbeau A4 which is listed at 19.5 inches wide so Im guessing anything inside of that will fit.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
That makes sense now that I think about it. Does anybody know the width of the factory seats? I know guys have been able to fit the Corbeau A4 which is listed at 19.5 inches wide so Im guessing anything inside of that will fit.
Two versions are offered, wide and narrow. Only the narrow will fit, at least in mine. Can't remember the size of them but I did have to mount them to the floor because they wouldn't tilt foward on the sliders without the top of the seat hitting the roof panels.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,127 Likes on 731 Posts

Another dimension you want to consider is where your backside will be with the new seats. I bolted a set of Recaros to the floor and all the way back and lost legroom. I think it is because the Recaros supply more lumbar support than the stock seat. They are very comfortable.

My problem is mostly with the position of the gas pedal. I have it raised so I can heel-and-toe and that little bit of change messed me up. Just be sure to do a trial fit before you drill any holes.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
The seats are not what holds you in place during an accident. The seat belt does. So the stress on seat brackets is not much.

That comment makes no sense at all. You need both the seat and seat belts to be secure in the event of a crash. Without one or the other, you will be getting hurt.

Side impact and the seat breaks loose and you are coming out of the seat belt. Front impact and the seat breaks loose and you now have a 75 lbs object smashing into your back.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ignatz
Another dimension you want to consider is where your backside will be with the new seats. I bolted a set of Recaros to the floor and all the way back and lost legroom. I think it is because the Recaros supply more lumbar support than the stock seat. They are very comfortable.

My problem is mostly with the position of the gas pedal. I have it raised so I can heel-and-toe and that little bit of change messed me up. Just be sure to do a trial fit before you drill any holes.
Thanks....I wish I could find a dimension diagram for the factory seats similar to the ones posted on most web sites for all the aftermarket seats...I may just have to pull one of mine out and start measuring after I get it out of storage.

Has anybody mounted the Fiero seats directly to the floor?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

im 6'4" and i have been thinking of doing something along those lines. a few years ago i had a Pantera that i lowered part of the floor pan, but on a Vette that doesn't work well at all.. i have glass roof panels and they give a bit more room. thompson astro tops give the head room because they use a glass type roof but would be cheaper than the old g.m tops.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ignatz

Good point! if there is enough room under the wheel you can gain some legroom by raising the front of the seat.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:28 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 362 Likes on 250 Posts

If I remember right the stock seats in my '76 were 19".The clamshells I put in their place are a smidge wider

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody mounted seats directly to floor to gain headroom?

Quick Reply: Anybody mounted seats directly to floor to gain headroom?