C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank straps torque value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Charliebates
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank straps torque value?

I expect it's about 45 ft/lbs but I can't find it in the Haynes or by searching the internet.
I sure would appreciate some help.
It would be nice to have a list of torque specs for the whole car, 1982 Corvette.
Thx for the help, John
Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 AM
PcolaPaul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliebates
I expect it's about 45 ft/lbs but I can't find it in the Haynes or by searching the internet.
I sure would appreciate some help.
It would be nice to have a list of torque specs for the whole car, 1982 Corvette.
Thx for the help, John
Fri-gin hilarious! Gas tank strap bolt torque??
'Tight" is good. Go by the bolt size. If the bolts are 3/8's inch go 30 to 35 lbs. Hell man, it's a C3 vette not an Indy car!

Just busting your chops, don't take it as an insult please.. Nothing wrong with doing things right.
In my 30 plus years of wrenching on everything from street cars to top alcohol funny cars I have never considered torque specs on gas tank straps. Perfection at its finest! You made my evening, my week and my month! I was kinda down but grinning ear to ear now.
If I ever have a race team you WILL be my Crew Chief! I will travel the world to find you.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

AIMs show torque for specific items. I do not know of a source which lists all C3 torques for specific model years.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi John,
The AIM lists the torque for the strap bolts as 100-140 lbs.in. (note INCH, not FEET).
The Chassis Service Manual for the earlier years lists many, many torque values for most of the fasteners in the car in it's Specifications section and the AIM does too… perhaps also in those publications for your car?
Regards,
Alan

Haynes is not a good source of information except in the most general way.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Charliebates
Instructor

Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
Fri-gin hilarious! Gas tank strap bolt torque??
'Tight" is good. Go by the bolt size. If the bolts are 3/8's inch go 30 to 35 lbs. Hell man, it's a C3 vette not an Indy car!

Just busting your chops, don't take it as an insult please.. Nothing wrong with doing things right.
In my 30 plus years of wrenching on everything from street cars to top alcohol funny cars I have never considered torque specs on gas tank straps. Perfection at its finest! You made my evening, my week and my month! I was kinda down but grinning ear to ear now.
If I ever have a race team you WILL be my Crew Chief! I will travel the world to find you.
I mostly work on motorcycles & customs and from experience I always tighten to the recommended torque specs. I've seen many good bikes that end up with issues because wrenches assume or just don't care.

I'm presently doing a frame off restoration on my C3 (Berlina) and I'm concerned that over tightening the fuel tank straps can contribute to the puckering of the bottom of the bladder that results in interference with the sending unit operation.

Most don't know that the bladder type fuel tanks should not be left empty of fuel for extended times. If so it is recommended to remove the tank cover plate and spray the liner with a non detergent 10w30 oil.

Last edited by Charliebates; 04-12-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Edited to make a warmer reply is all.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Charliebates
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi John,
The AIM lists the torque for the strap bolts as 100-140 lbs.in. (note INCH, not FEET).
The Chassis Service Manual for the earlier years lists many, many torque values for most of the fasteners in the car in it's Specifications section and the AIM does too… perhaps also in those publications for your car?
Regards,
Alan

Haynes is not a good source of information except in the most general way.
Thx for the help Allen. It's much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas tank straps torque value?

Quick Reply: Gas tank straps torque value?