C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Brake Bleeder Screws

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Caliper Brake Bleeder Screws

I have a 79 corvette and the two rear inner brake bleeder screws continue to be wet around the screw. Not dripping but slowly seeping. I bled the brakes and now they seem to not seal properly. I've order two speed bleeders hoping that these new ones that have thread sealing will work on resolving this issue. My question is, what is the best way to replace the bleeders??? I'm guessing just remove one, deal with the mess, and quickly swap them out with the new speed bleeders. I'm hoping to avoid draining the brake system of fluid and having to bleed the Master Cylinder and start over. Of course if this doesn't work I guess I'm having two purchase two new rear calipers

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50g&ukey=11100
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

Maybe some dirt got into the threads of the screws or something is keeping them from seating. Or maybe you just dislodged some rust. When the new ones come take the old ones out and squirt some brake clean into the hole. Cover everything with rags or plastic first. Before I install any bleeder screws or brake line fittings I apply some Never Seize to the threads and the actuall steel line. Not a lot where it's getting all over the place, just a little bit. That usually means I won't have trouble breaking things loose ThE NEXT TIME!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Maybe some dirt got into the threads of the screws or something is keeping them from seating. Or maybe you just dislodged some rust. When the new ones come take the old ones out and squirt some brake clean into the hole. Cover everything with rags or plastic first. Before I install any bleeder screws or brake line fittings I apply some Never Seize to the threads and the actuall steel line. Not a lot where it's getting all over the place, just a little bit. That usually means I won't have trouble breaking things loose ThE NEXT TIME!
Possible but doubtful. I think I tightened them up to much. I'm hoping the threading sealing speed bleeder screws will resolve the issue. I just really want to know the best way to replace them while the brake system is still full of fluid.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'd just replace them. I gravity bled mine and it's not like the fluid gushes out. Just do the job quickly and top off the MC at the beginning and end of the job. Hopefully, that's the end of the problem. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Put a catch-pan under the assembly to catch any dripping fluid.

Then........

Take a few seconds to use a cotton swab and clean the bottom of the bleeder hole with it....the leaking fluid will wash out any trash that you dislodge.....you won't lose enough fluid to cause a problem.....then install the new screw.

Top off the master cylinder with fluid like the other members said.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

If you keep the cover fastened on the MC the fluid will leak slower. Not a big deal if you get em changed quickly.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

The threads on the screws do not seal the assembly the bleeder screw seats onto a seat in the caliper assembly.
Take a sheet of Saran wrap fold it in half then in half again. Place it over the brake resiviours then put the lid on and the bails. This will seal the resiviours and prevent the fluid from draining out. A little will drain then stop or slow almost to a stop. Take the bleeder screw out completely and clean it up with steel wool or something similar. Then q-tip or some such thing for the hole. Inspect the screw and the hole if they are not pitted or rusted they should seal again.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
The threads on the screws do not seal the assembly the bleeder screw seats onto a seat in the caliper assembly.
Take a sheet of Saran wrap fold it in half then in half again. Place it over the brake resiviours then put the lid on and the bails. This will seal the resiviours and prevent the fluid from draining out. A little will drain then stop or slow almost to a stop. Take the bleeder screw out completely and clean it up with steel wool or something similar. Then q-tip or some such thing for the hole. Inspect the screw and the hole if they are not pitted or rusted they should seal again.
Do you mean place Saran Wrap over the MC and then install the top cover and attach?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette79C3
Do you mean place Saran Wrap over the MC and then install the top cover and attach?
Yes, that's the idea.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:56 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

If your brakes work well then you don`t have a leak, give the wet bleeder a shot of brake parts cleaner
Old 04-03-2015, 10:38 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette79C3
Yes. What you are trying to do is make a seal over the reservoirs so that air cannot come in to replace the fluid as it drains out. This makes a light vacuum in the reservoir and prevents more fluid from draining. If you don't get a good seal then the fluid may continue to flow but slower that it would otherwise.
Don't forget to remove the saran wrap when you're all done.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

It's definitely not leaking meaning nothing on the floor and I have a good pedal. I sprayed the area with brake and carb clean. I'll check in the morning to see the results, if any.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Brake Bleeder Screws

Quick Reply: Caliper Brake Bleeder Screws