C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floating foam block in B pillar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:08 PM
76_vette_girl
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Floating foam block in B pillar?

I found a foam block floating around inside the B pillar today. It was situated above the inner rear fender body mount access cover and below the door striker latch. It wasnt attached to anything and was simply lodged in there. Is this something "bubba" left in there or a vital part?

Thank you
Old 04-12-2015, 09:19 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 76_vette_girl
I found a foam block floating around inside the B pillar today. It was situated above the inner rear fender body mount access cover and below the door striker latch. It wasnt attached to anything and was simply lodged in there. Is this something "bubba" left in there or a vital part?

Thank you
Nope, Original part.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:41 PM
76_vette_girl
Instructor

What is the purpose of it? Do I need to put it back?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 PM
76_vette_girl
Instructor

Checked in the assembly manual and corvette part sites but still unable to find this foam block . If it is original, what was it's purpose?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

You're talking about a block like this?

I found this when I dismantled my '77. I can't recall where it was though.
No idea what its purpose was
Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

If it's the one I'm thinking of (about the size of a bar of soap) it's in the AIM where they put the body / lock pillar together.
There's another one up at the top that for no better description looks vaguely like Texas.
The square one fit about 1/2 down the dog-leg area of the lock pillar and really just serves to block that hole off from the inside of the car.
M
Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Mooser
Race Director

There you go, that's the one I'm thinking of
M
Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Found them in my 68 2yrs ago when doing my carpet
Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1427
Found them in my 68 2yrs ago when doing my carpet
Sorry, Thought thread was about styrofoam blocks in rear corners of cargo area
Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 PM
waynelap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one in my 77 also. ?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:45 AM
76_vette_girl
Instructor

Is it really necessary to have it? Should I put it back in there?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Is it really necessary to have it? Should I put it back in there?
If anything, it may have originally been there to stop a little noise or dust from coming up that cavity. I have no doubt most, if there are still there at all, are laying in the bottom where yours were.
Can't imaging you would be able to get it back into the correct position or that you would be able to tell if it was or wasn't
M
Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The 71 AIM shows 3 small foam 'pads' in the lock pillars located just below the striker.
They're shown on UPC 1 Bolt/Weld, Sheet B9, Items 8,9,10.
They're likely shown in a similar location in the AIMs for later cars.
I'd think cars can survive without them but you can be quite sure Chevrolet wouldn't have put them there if they though they didn't need to be there.
Regards,
Alan

The upper pads DO sorta look like Texas!

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-14-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
The 71 AIM shows 3 small foam 'pads' in the lock pillars located just below the striker....

...I'd think cars can survive without them but you can be quite sure Chevrolet wouldn't have put them there if they though they didn't need to be there.
Good morning Alan.

72 shows 4 pads (I've only ever found 2) Two at the top and two in the lock pillar.

Did you find a good method of re-installing the blocks part way down? Took me forever to get them back in there, kept turning sideways and then would fall down again. Ended up using a cut up piece of pool-noodle of all things to push it down squarely but not something I'm looking forward to do again
M
Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Gazehound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you
When I took my 77 apart I had one there also and it was keeping the wire to the rear window defogger in place. The wire was running under it next to the inner fender. Hope that makes sense, I think I have a picture of it somewhere.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi m,
Honestly I've never seen them so I'm not positive what's there on my car or what's TYPICAL. In fact the pic that RB posted might be the first time I've seen one.
Although the 71 AIM lists the 3 part numbers (so 3 pieces) we all know that doesn't mean that's what was going into cars during production.
????
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default soap size foam blocks

Hi Alan,

As you previously commented on the spit i made to put my 73 body on i thought i would direct this question towards you .
When i bolted the body onto my adjusters on the spit and rotated it for the first time out fell the grey foam blocks from the rear channels , i guess the movement dislodged them . One is perfect the other looks as if its been chaffing or a rat has eaten it . Can these be obtained ? how far up the pillar do they go ? Just above or below the lock pin ? What would have been the purpose of these ?

My 73 didnt have the top ones that you kindly showed in your picture so i will have to get these as well . I suppose it would be reasonably easy to cut these items from a proper density foam block . These would have been there for a reason so they have to go back , GM must have more brains than i do however every time i hit my thumb or cut myself i do wonder

Cheers ,

John

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi m,
Honestly I've never seen them so I'm not positive what's there on my car or what's TYPICAL. In fact the pic that RB posted might be the first time I've seen one.
Although the 71 AIM lists the 3 part numbers (so 3 pieces) we all know that doesn't mean that's what was going into cars during production.
????
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi John.
I took a look inside lock pillars on my 71 coupe and found a single light grey foam block on each side.
They are located 2"-3" above the access panel opening in the rear wheel well.
The one on the driver's side seemed to be placed properly and I couldn't dislodge it with my fingers.
The one on the passenger's side was at just a bit of an angle so I could dislodge it.
It's shown here.
It seems very similar to the one RBrid posted.
Is this what yours looks like?
Looking at the 71 AIM I'd say it's Item 9 on UPC 1 bolt/weld, Sheet B9.
If the other two 'blocks' shown in the AIM are on my car I can't feel them (but they 'could' be there').
I've not found these blocks to be available. I guess it would take a yard that's really taking cars apart to come up with any.
The same goes for the larger upper blocks that look like Texas.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 PM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Foam pads

Hi Alan,

Thanks a stack . Yes those are the ones I was referring to , one is perfect and the other is as I said eaten away somewhat .
I can only assume they were some type of dust preventer as they would not stop any water as they do not seal totally they as you correctly said are just an interference fit and wedge into place .

I will see if I can obtain some high density foam such as these and cut some new ones . The Texas type units are long long gone so I don't have samples or sizes to make these nor understand their function

Thanks once again Alan you are an absolute wealth of information , greatly appreciated not only by myself , but I am sure by all the others on the forum

John

=Alan 71;1589506485]Hi John.
I

took a look inside lock pillars on my 71 coupe and found a single light grey foam block on each side.
They are located 2"-3" above the access panel opening in the rear wheel well.
The one on the driver's side seemed to be placed properly and I couldn't dislodge it with my fingers.
The one on the passenger's side was at just a bit of an angle so I could dislodge it.
It's shown here.
It seems very similar to the one RBrid posted.
Is this what yours looks like?
Looking at the 71 AIM I'd say it's Item 9 on UPC 1 bolt/weld, Sheet B9.
If the other two 'blocks' shown in the AIM are on my car I can't feel them (but they 'could' be there').
I've not found these blocks to be available. I guess it would take a yard that's really taking cars apart to come up with any.
The same goes for the larger upper blocks that look like Texas.
Regards,
Alan

[/QUOTE]

Get notified of new replies

To Floating foam block in B pillar?

Quick Reply: Floating foam block in B pillar?