C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

filling (4) new calipers, and bleeding - what am I doing wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:05 PM
professor_speed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe, you are smarter than me but I had a hell of a time until I realized there are double bleeders on the rear calipers. all I did was gravity bleed after that. rr inner, rr outer, lr inner, lr outer,rf,lf.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by kanvasman
I wasn't sure since the pressure bleeder works different than the MOTIVE type suction bleeder.
Motive is a pressure bleeder.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Following up on the pressure bleeder, do you still need to bench bleed the master cylinder?
NO you do not....BUT....I have run into NEW or rebuilt master cylinders that were no good (rarely...but happens)...and had to replace them. Bench bleeding them will allow you to see the fluid flowing into the reservoir when you press in the plunger the ONE inch required....and if fluid comes out the back of the master cylinder.

Using a diaphragm type pressure bleeder forces fluid though the system. Pressurize the tank...it applies pressure on the bladder separating the fluid from the air...and attach the correct attachment to the top of the master cylinder....and open the valve...then open the bleeder. Fluid flows out. Then it is up to the person using the tool to keep an eye on the pressure in the tank. Tap on or shock the frame so any bubbles suck to the inside of the walls of the tubing will release and when the fluid coming out of the calipers is clean...you are done.

The diaphragm type pressure bleeder in this video is the type I use.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-26-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

Thanks Mr. Dub. When I said Motive was a suction, I meant to say it didn't have a bladder in it. I have an old EIS bleeder with the bladder similar to yours. Has to be over 25 yrs old but still works great. Used it a lot but not many master cylinders. I guess it's to the bench we go first. Didn't mean to take this thread. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I've tried both the vacuum method and the pressure method for bleeding brakes. Prefer the pressure method since it does not risk introducing air if the vacuum is strong enough to pull air by the lip seals. I also ran into problems with air being pulled in by the threads of the bleeder when using vacuum. Only issue I have with the Motive Bleeder is the crappy hardware given to clamp the plate to the master cylinder. I finally broke down and bought a large C clamp.

Here's a link to a video I found helpful. Tried this out yesterday. Had to jack the rear of the car up pretty high to get the master cylinder angled slightly downward toward the front. Got the last few bubbles out of the master, now have a hard pedal.

Last edited by BBCorv70; 04-26-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: filling (4) new calipers, and bleeding - what am I doing wrong??