C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing side pipes, how high to raise front of car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Installing side pipes, how high to raise front of car?

It appears the easiest way to install side pipe headers is from below.
For those that did it this way, how high did you raise the car for access? Are jack stands ok or drive on ramps? What did you do and any pics?
TIA.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I have hooker side pipes. I used my floor jack with a maximum lift of about 18" under the crossmember forward of the engine and floor jacks on both frame rails and they slipped in from underneath without any problems. However, I have a 4-sp and had to remove the z-bar and also the oil pressure switch. I don't have A/C so the right side was even easier.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info. Mine is also a 4 speed and I do have air con but it is not working so it may well be removed at the time of the swap.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

I may have had to put a block of wood on the jacking pad to gain an extra few inches. If the car isn't raised high enough, you'll never get them on.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I may have had to put a block of wood on the jacking pad to gain an extra few inches. If the car isn't raised high enough, you'll never get them on.
Perhaps I could put the axle stands on some concrete blocks I have lying around. Would hate to get her up only to find I just needed that little extra clearance!

A lift would be so much easier.....wonder if I could convince the wife we need one!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Don't use concrete blocks to support a vehicle. That's your safety tip of the week!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Set the headers on the ground, with the flanges/primaries oriented "upright", as they'd be in the car. Measure from the top of the flange to the ground. THAT is how high the car has to be off the ground, as the whole kit and caboddle has to slide under the car, THEN up into the engine compartment.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I found that for the side pipe headers, it works well if the rear of the car is jacked up higher than the front.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:15 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had to raise the car about 40cm. Can't use a drive on ramps.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:34 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Finally got the old girl up in the air but with my small jack and jack stands its not quite high enough!
Im getting about 40cm or 15 1/2 inches from floor to bottom of frame rail so Im going to order a larger jack with a max saddle height of 52cm or 20 1/2 inches and also get some axle stands to suit!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jotto
Finally got the old girl up in the air but with my small jack and jack stands its not quite high enough!
Im getting about 40cm or 15 1/2 inches from floor to bottom of frame rail so Im going to order a larger jack with a max saddle height of 52cm or 20 1/2 inches and also get some axle stands to suit!
When I instsalled mine I had 16" from frame to floor just in front of the doors. Placed jack stands at front frame horns. Had plenty of room and the side pipe headers went in very easy.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aggitated Monkey
When I instsalled mine I had 16" from frame to floor just in front of the doors. Placed jack stands at front frame horns. Had plenty of room and the side pipe headers went in very easy.
Mine seem to be getting hung up at 15 1/2 inches. Not getting caught on the axle stands and I dont appear to have plenty of room! New jack and axle stands on order so hopefully tomorrow I will have drivers side installed.

Dumb question but I didnt think to put the axle stands under the frame horns, I assume this is an OK place to put them?

Going back to leadfoots post, there is no way the headers will simply go under and slide up, as far as I can see they need to go in and under at an angle to go around steering box etc. Monkey, did you remove the senders on the drivers side of the block?

Last edited by jotto; 08-02-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by jotto
Mine seem to be getting hung up at 15 1/2 inches. Not getting caught on the axle stands and I dont appear to have plenty of room! New jack and axle stands on order so hopefully tomorrow I will have drivers side installed.

Dumb question but I didnt think to put the axle stands under the frame horns, I assume this is an OK place to put them?

Going back to leadfoots post, there is no way the headers will simply go under and slide up, as far as I can see they need to go in and under at an angle to go around steering box etc. Monkey, did you remove the senders on the drivers side of the block?
Jack stands at the front in front of suspension was very sturdy.
At 16" at the front door edge I had enough room to go in with the collectors tilted up until the flanges cleared the frame then roll up into place. The oil sender needs to be removed along with plugs on left side. Needs a dent put in the tube at the steering box or it touched the box. Right side was easier. Went in with plugs in and wires pulled. Easiest headers I ever installed. I have the stainless maximums. I think OBX is the same. Both are Hooker copies.
For the "T" bolts going into the side frame for the side pipes I put those spring nuts on (as I call them) flat push on that keep the "T" bolts in place making it easier to put the rubber washers, washers and nuts on with out fighting with the "T"bolts.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I agree, the easiest to install.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:02 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Aggitated Monkey
Jack stands at the front in front of suspension was very sturdy.
At 16" at the front door edge I had enough room to go in with the collectors tilted up until the flanges cleared the frame then roll up into place. The oil sender needs to be removed along with plugs on left side. Needs a dent put in the tube at the steering box or it touched the box. Right side was easier. Went in with plugs in and wires pulled. Easiest headers I ever installed. I have the stainless maximums. I think OBX is the same. Both are Hooker copies.
For the "T" bolts going into the side frame for the side pipes I put those spring nuts on (as I call them) flat push on that keep the "T" bolts in place making it easier to put the rubber washers, washers and nuts on with out fighting with the "T"bolts.
This. And the temp sensor. If alone; I first slide the header under the car and then grab the flange from above to tilt and guide the header up 'n over, whilst lifting it under the collector with my right foot.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by worship79
This. And the temp sensor. If alone; I first slide the header under the car and then grab the flange from above to tilt and guide the header up 'n over, whilst lifting it under the collector with my right foot.
Same here. I used a 1 gal thiner can a a 2x4 under the collector to give my foot a rest LOL.
All went together easily.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 PM
kevinll63
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys remember that 30 pack that you will need

Get notified of new replies

To Installing side pipes, how high to raise front of car?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:19 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The best way is to invest in a 2 post 9,000 lb lift. That's what I'm considering doing. Been putting it off for way too long...
Old 08-03-2015, 03:53 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kevinll63
You guys remember that 30 pack that you will need

I have a cooled compartment in my toolcart
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Installing side pipes, how high to raise front of car?

Hmmm, i was able to get mine out and back in with the car on 6 inch ramps.

Quick Reply: Installing side pipes, how high to raise front of car?