C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock won't unlock!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 06:14 PM
Jim 77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door lock won't unlock!

My outside door lock will no longer unlock my driver side door. It will lock, just no unlock. The inside **** functions as it should.
I took the panel off, and can see the bracket that connects to the 'actuating rods'(?). Sure enough, it moves to lock, but doesn't seem to catch for the return trip.
Is there a fix for this?
I don't want to change all of my locks, even if just for the principle of it all. If I need to replace the lock, can I take it to a locksmith and have it made to match my old key?
Old 08-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Door lock won't unlock! (Jim 77)

I have the reverse problem. I can use the key to unlock but not lock the door. As it turns out, the rod is hanging on something. I need to get in there and bend the rod to clear whatever it's hanging on. Could the rod be catching somewhere? Is the actuator itself functioning?

Jim
Old 08-15-2002, 06:55 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problems with the passenger side of my 75. There is the big black plastic piece that blocks your view of that control rod. You have to take out the screws on the back side of the door to get it loose and move it out of the way to get to that rod I mentioned. I have never been able to get the clip on the rod to keep it from popping off over time. Im not an expert, thats just how Ive been able to fix it and continue to be able to open my door from the out side. Every six months or so it pops off and I have to go through the process again.. I guess the Corvette Gods just want me to have plenty practice at it. Someday I will pay a pro to fix it right.
Good luck,
Joe
Old 08-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Jim 77
Racer

Default Re: Door lock won't unlock! (tiresmokin75-427)

Hmmm, I guess the rod could be hung up on something. But there is a lever/bracket thing that connects thhe rod to the lock. This moves to lock, and looks like it just doesn't catch to unlock. If I unlock with the inside ****, this bracket moves as it should.
And who came up with those mechanisms? Bright ideas are lurking beneath the door panel :rolleyes:
Old 08-15-2002, 07:32 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi :seeya , I have been eveasdropping for the past month and decided u r may type of folks, so I joined up. I have a '72 with power windows that didn't work so well. Took em all apart saw the lock rods and took em out too. cleaned all up shiny covered in litium grease and put back. All now work like new. So try to see if old grease is lodged on rods, spray wd40 and see if work better if does , clean and grease will fix.

Tires Smoking? try Bubba trick next time in and tie plastic lock tie on that pesky popup clip, assuming yours look like mine with the hole over rod and clip down to hold about 1/4 long.

I have to learn how to use this typing stuff. :lol:

Thanks to all for what I now feel is the confidence to fix most anything, if I get stuck, one of you will know how to set me straight.

Henry

[Modified by 72GACRZR, 11:34 PM 8/15/2002]
Old 08-15-2002, 07:39 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Door lock won't unlock! (72GACRZR)

Welcome to the Forum party Henry. Always nice to have a fresh set of ideas!! :flag
Old 08-15-2002, 07:53 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Door lock won't unlock! (VettePower)

:cheers: to you Vette Power and all others. I Really have to learn this process :D
Old 08-16-2002, 11:11 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Jim, on my 68 the spring that is attached to the upper part of the lock mechanism was the culprit. I believe the spring is set up similar to your 77. The spring's about 1/2 in diameter. My door was doing the same as yours. My spring had a broken end and not allowing the unlock. If your passenger door is operating okay, take a look and compare.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:11 PM
Jim 77
Racer

Default Re: Door lock won't unlock! (68rdstr)

Spring? What spring? :cuss :lol:
I saw no spring in there. Will compare sides once I get the brakes figured out. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll bet this one will be obvious if I go in with the right attitude!

Get notified of new replies

To Door lock won't unlock!

Quick Reply: Door lock won't unlock!