C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cigarette lighter / lost power/on74

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 PM
sheepdawggerry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cigarette lighter / lost power/on74

I lost power for some odd reason to my cigarette lighter,I replace the lighter housing and element to rule that out. And checked to see if I had power, that I use for charging my phone. Is there another single line source I can go to for power without blowing fuses. Keep in mind the fuse is fine ,cuz its connected to the Courtesy light. Thanks for any help or suggestion
Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe the ground the fell off of the shifter plate or heater controls...wherever that is on your year? If your courtesy lights still work then the fuse appears to be good.

My 69 has a separate ground in the harness just for the console shifter plate. If the cigarette lighter light isn't working either then it could be the ground just fell off.

The light socket in the heater controls has its own dedicated ground wire.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably the ground. I had a similar issue with mine. I also noticed I sometimes have to rotate the accessory I am plugging in or it won't get clicked into place correctly
Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I heard (on here somewhere years ago) that the cig lighter has constant power and has been know to be a source of cabin fires.

I disconnected mine and taped up the wire. I put a aftermarket pigtail with alligator clamps on it directly on the battery terminals if I need it for something, GPS charger or small air pump. In 5 years Ive never used it.

I did install a inline fuse on the + wire between the power adapter and the clip.

I don't use my Vette enough to worry about charging my phone in it. I charge it at home.

dodosmike

Get notified of new replies

To cigarette lighter / lost power/on74

Quick Reply: cigarette lighter / lost power/on74