C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on fuel line from pump to carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Question on fuel line from pump to carb

I am thinking about running braided line from fuel pump to carb on 75 sb 350. I need to clear up PO's work (mess) that has a cheap fuel filter, rubber hoses and bent line from fuel pump up. Thinking about braided line with "AN" fittings, but not sure what size is needed on fuel pump outlet. Planning on installing new filter as well and I would like to put fuel gauge on somewhere. Carb is Holley 600 I think, so I need to figure how to connect to it also.
Ideas and pictures would be great.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

A regular GM fuel pump should take a 5/8-18 inverted flare fitting, adapters from it to a 6AN fitting are available from aeroquip etc (summit/jegs)

6AN is a common fuel line fitting size

If your local gas has ethanol, go with Teflon lined braid, which uses different fittings than regular braided line

Can't help with the holley exactly but summit/jegs will have the correct fittings and may even offer a "kit" to get from the carb to a filter using AN fittings.

HIH
M
Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I came out of the pump with 3/8 tubing just enough to be upright, then 6AN black braided hose with female 6AN into a 40 micron inline filter then had a 90 6AN fitting into carb with a couple of more bends to clear heater hose fitting. You can also buy a 6AN gauge port fitting awhile you're at it to go inline. .... hope it works out for you!!!

Last edited by redcruz1120; 07-23-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:21 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

They sell these for holley carbs with integrated fuel filter and a 6AN inlet, should clean it up a bit, I'm not a fan of braided fuel lines, but to each his own. Link to part http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g1533-an
Nick

Ps redceuz i like your heater hoses!

Last edited by dembo; 07-23-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:18 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I think u have a fire hazard there with that clear plastic fuel filter. Every OEM fuel line was solid from the carb down the fuel pump where the short piece of flex connected to the pump. On a '75 the fuel pump has a return line also - does your pump use that return line?

Well i like to bend my own fuel lines from cheap brake line and use cheap flare fittings to connect it. Its kinda fun and u can practice with the cheap brake line to make it as custom as u want it. My caution here is u need a bead at the end of any line that connects to flex line. W/o a bead the flex line will pull/fall off even with a hose clamp and your plastic corvette will some burn to the ground. Yes i have seen buring corvettes before. I have an expensive dedicated beader tool now but used to just make an unfinished double flare at the very end of the tube for the flex line to clamp on with hose clamp behind the bead.

Well there are endless fuel filters to choose from. Some use the FF with an third tube for a recirc which allows return from near the carb to minimize "vapor lock" and keep cool fuel going to the carb. BTW the stock mech fuel pumps self regulate very well by themselves.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:14 PM
LRB
Instructor

Default Change complete

Made a trip to Summit and replaced my fuel line and filter. I think it looks a lot better.
Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

But now.... the intake and carb looks all dirty next to that shiny line.
Get ready to start a frame off, that's how they begin you know...
B
Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Nice work. Thats a big improvement in safety and function. Now u can verify if your filter is plugged too. FYI the dry type press guages tend to have the needle oscillate. No big deal just need to average the reading. If they give u an liquid filled gauge throw it away. The liquid filled gauges heat up under the hood and usually read high or even peg high.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM
LRB
Instructor

Originally Posted by cardo0
Nice work. Thats a big improvement in safety and function. Now u can verify if your filter is plugged too. FYI the dry type press guages tend to have the needle oscillate. No big deal just need to average the reading. If they give u an liquid filled gauge throw it away. The liquid filled gauges heat up under the hood and usually read high or even peg high.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 PM
LRB
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mooser

But now.... the intake and carb looks all dirty next to that shiny line.
Get ready to start a frame off, that's how they begin you know...
B
Yea, I thought about how bad they look next to the new parts. I have to keep telling myself, it's not a race, it's a journey.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on fuel line from pump to carb

Quick Reply: Question on fuel line from pump to carb