C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:51 AM
murphy3081
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issue

Hello everyone here is my problem im at a loss. I have a 1977 corvette. It was my father's. Ran perfect for a long time. The car then sat for a year. The other day I installed new a new battery and started it up fine. The car was then driven about 2 miles and turned off. The next day I went to start it and when I turned the key the gauges activated but the engine would not crank. After trying through out the day it still would not crank. We had a new starter which I then installed. Still would not crank then after a few tries the engine turned over. Tried it again with no problems. Later in the evening I went to start it and the starter clicked but would not crank over then eventually after some tries it turned over fine. Last night I saw the interior lights were on. They came on out of nowhere and could not turn them off. I had to disconnect the fuse.

Would this be a bad ignition switch? Can that affect both the starter and lights, or is this just two seperate problems. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

I'd guess two different problems.... maybe

With the starter issue. When you swapped the starter did you also swap the solenoid?

When you tried to start it and it didn't, did the lights dim? Try turning on the headlight and see if they dim when you turn the key.

If there is nothing changing when turning the key they it's likely the ignition, double check by jumping the terminal on the starter solenoid

There is also a chance that it could be the neutral safety switch. Not sure if it's standard or auto. If auto, try moving the shifter a little back or forth while turning the key.

For the interior lights, were they on dim or seemed full? did they change when you opened the door at all?

Just some places to start
M
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I think you have two separate problems. The starter issue is probably a bad connection at the battery cables ( corrosion on the connector, a bad crimp to the cable) or a poor ground connection from the battery to frame cable(under the car). Clean and inspect all these connections. You may have inadvertently twisted the headlight switch to the "on" position to cause the interior lights to stay on.

Get notified of new replies

To electrical issue

Quick Reply: electrical issue