C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counterfeit Auto Gear parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Counterfeit Auto Gear parts

Heads Up! Counterfeit Auto Gear Muncie Midplates

It has come to our attention that counterfeit Auto Gear Equipment 'Muncie 4 speed' ductile iron midplates (sometimes referred to as 'mainshaft bearing supports') are being sold by at least one outlet.

We have also discovered that there are significant dimensional and quality issues with these counterfeit midplates which may prevent their successful installation or adversely affect the life or performance of your gearbox; in the interest, therefore, of the 'Muscle Car' community served by this forum, we are publishing this notice.

Genuine 'Auto Gear' midplates are manufactured in the United States and are cast 'AGE 18' in the casting relief inboard below the ball bearing diameter.

Thanks.

George E Sollish

Chief Engineer
Auto Gear Company
Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

George @ Auto Gear,

Thank you for the heads-up on the counterfeit issue.

As a side note... I've always appreciated the quality of parts and customer service that Auto Gear has provided to me over the years.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmm.....wonder what country they are being produced by......

Dimensional irregularities....you DON'T SAY!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 PM
4speeds
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll be doing a short video on the counterfeit midplates soon. They are the cheaper ones sold on Ebay. Its a US company selling them that has an abundance of super cheap Muncie parts on Ebay using Autogear part numbers. Its really sad because the majority of people purchase parts based on price rather than quality and country of origin. I've seen this with bearings, gaskets, seals, rebuild kits. Its funny people tend to complain about things not being made in the USA but the sales numbers on Ebay don't lie. Fact is the majority of people are caring less and less about where items originate from or quality.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
forman (08-26-2022)
Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 4speeds
Its funny people tend to complain about things not being made in the USA but the sales numbers on Ebay don't lie. Fact is the majority of people are caring less and less about where items originate from or quality.

Paul
Fewer people care or it's becoming harder to determine the country of origin? I don't often see the country of origin being openly shared.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:02 PM
4speeds
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Fewer people care or it's becoming harder to determine the country of origin? I don't often see the country of origin being openly shared.
I agree and I have asked Autogear to add USA to the plates. However if something appears cheap it doesn't hurt to ask. What I have seen for example on Ebay is outright lies. People claiming Taiwanese gears are made in USA, shift forks for $14.50 made in USA, etc. So a phone call doesn't hurt. Just because it is made in China also doesn't mean its bad. Copies are bad because there are no blueprints and nobody sets tolerances. If you ask someone to copy something again nothing is defined. Measurements get lost in translation. Good product control in China is an art. Richmond Gear's new Super T10 is 100 percent made in China and the quality in my opinion is better than what was made in the USA. Prints are created and dimensions defined and enforced. I informed AGE of the copies because as a distributor people make accusations of being "ripped off" by you gets annoying especially when you are selling a legit product for 12 dollars more than a dimensionally incorrect knock off. Most of these people do not offer any sales support for products as well.
Paul

Last edited by 4speeds; 08-01-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:40 PM
Stroker Ace Ventura
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4speeds
I'll be doing a short video on the counterfeit midplates soon. They are the cheaper ones sold on Ebay. Its a US company selling them that has an abundance of super cheap Muncie parts on Ebay using Autogear part numbers. Its really sad because the majority of people purchase parts based on price rather than quality and country of origin. I've seen this with bearings, gaskets, seals, rebuild kits. Its funny people tend to complain about things not being made in the USA but the sales numbers on Ebay don't lie. Fact is the majority of people are caring less and less about where items originate from or quality.

Paul
Paul,
**Resurrecting this old thread if possible...**
I have spoken with you a few times on the phone and purchased many parts from you and I know this is an old thread but I am curious whether you have any experience in counterfeit tailshaft housings for Muncies being sold as AutoGear parts... I am looking at one now and the casting is very rough however the machining looks on par for AutoGear as I already have their super case and your Iron Midplate but I have my concerns... I'm a member of Steves Nova Site for a few years and was trying to find one of these tailshaft housings for my current '70 build but it appears everyone including (you) SUPER661 / 5Speeds.com is sold out... Any ideas? Or is this just the quality we should expect from now on? I am totally perplexed... Pictures below for reference. Thanks in advance...

~Andy

Rough as can be.... Like a bad sand cast...

Old 08-26-2022, 10:51 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

There’s no need to resurrect a 7 year old thread by addressing a poster that hasn’t logged on in a year and a half. Please start a new thread if you wish to initiate a discussion.
The following users liked this post:
Stroker Ace Ventura (08-26-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Counterfeit Auto Gear parts

Quick Reply: Counterfeit Auto Gear parts