C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper door and corner trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default wiper door and corner trim

I recently got my '69 painted and I'm curious what holds the small (6" long and curved) onto the top rear corner of the fender at the base of the windshield. I get the small screw on the wiper door end, but I see nothing at the other end except a small tab. Is this supposed to 'hook' onto the side windshield trim? I'm not getting a good fit if that's the case.
Any Ideas or advice is always appreciated!

Hans
Attached Images     
Old 08-01-2015, 07:16 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Hans,
There are 2 flat 'clips' used on each side that slide onto the fiberglass lip and then the 'flange' on the trim slips into the clips.
The clips have a top and bottom. A prong on the bottom side of the clip holds it in place on the fiberglass.
Be very careful of your paint.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Holes in the fiberglass the prong in the clip grabs on to. (These holes often get filled during a repaint because people don't know what that are for.)

Old 08-01-2015, 07:19 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

There should be a small clip that snaps onto the ridge on the bottom of the trim piece... and holds it to the fiberglass edge of the fender...
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...required-68-72

(I see Alan beat me to it!)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oldgto
There should be a small clip that snaps onto the ridge on the bottom of the trim piece... and holds it to the fiberglass edge of the fender...

Aah yes, but you provided a part supplier! Thanks to both of you, I'll order them shortly. Thanks again.

Hans
Old 08-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oldgto

I see you're login 'oldGTO', I'm a big fan. Had a '66 3x2 that I flogged in High School, way to dumb for a quality piece like that, then I lucked into a '64 automatic that I drag raced in a stock class and my wife drove to college. 12.80's on 7' cheater slicks through stock manifolds, best finish was second twice to the same car! Just loaded a '68 today that's going to Florida, belonged to my boss, he traded it for a 30's Auburn.

Hans
Old 08-01-2015, 08:59 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrencher
Aah yes, but you provided a part supplier! Thanks to both of you, I'll order them shortly. Thanks again.
Willcox are GREAT people, and lots of tech advice videos and PDFs as well... You can`t go wrong with them.
Originally Posted by Wrencher
I see you're login 'oldGTO', I'm a big fan. Had a '66 3x2 that I flogged in High School,
We have a 66... and a couple other cars (see signature line). Wife & I`ve been building cars for 30 years, but this is our first Vette, and our LAST build...our retirement toy!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

One more thing about the clips ... they are not installed on to the full thickness of the fiberglass. You should find that there are slits in the fiberglass at the 4 clip locations (where the holes are) so you slip the clips over the upper half of the fiberglass with one leg of each clip showing and the other leg sandwiched in the fiberglass.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 70,
I'm pretty sure that's not typically how the clips were/are installed.
The round 'prong' side of the clip is installed 'down' so that when the clip is pushed on the fiberglass the round 'prong' enters/catches in the small round hole drilled in the fiberglass for each clip (see second picture) which prevents the clip from being easily pushed back off the fiberglass when the trim piece's flange is slipped under each clip.
Pushing the clip with it's raised lip INTO the fiberglass would tend to delaminated the fiberglass and thus not act to hold the clip in place as the trim is installed.
Regards,
Alan

AIM, UPC1 asm, F8, View C.

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-02-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 70,
I'm pretty sure that's not typically how the clips were/are installed.
The round 'prong' side of the clip is installed 'down' so that when the clip is pushed on the fiberglass the round 'prong' enters/catches in the small round hole drilled in the fiberglass for each clip (see second picture) which prevents the clip from being easily pushed back off the fiberglass when the trim piece's flange is slipped under each clip.
Pushing the clip with it's raised lip INTO the fiberglass would tend to delaminated the fiberglass and thus not act to hold the clip in place as the trim is installed.
Regards,
Alan

AIM, UPC1 asm, F8, View C.
Hi Alan,
I have no info on how many years Vettes were configured similarly in this area, so I am only able to describe my '70. The hole that holds the clip is not drilled all the way through the fiberglass ... it only goes as deep as the 'factory' slit. So the clip prong enters the hole only in the upper portion. I can understand why it would be easy to damage the paint if the clip is installed over the full thickness of the fiberglass.

Since the hole does not go completely through the fiberglass, there is no hole for the prong to 'catch' if the clip is installed on the full thickness.

If your Vette has been repainted, it may be difficult to verify if you have a slit in this area, as paint may have filled in the slit, making it difficult to see without damaging the finish in this area. My '70 has not been repainted ... yet ... so the slit on each fender is obvious.

Joe

Last edited by 70Yellowbird; 08-05-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Default good info

All good advice. I have the clips, just need to do it. Thanks again.

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To wiper door and corner trim

Quick Reply: wiper door and corner trim