C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 corvette Radio removal/brake light

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 PM
galippo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 corvette Radio removal/brake light

Just wondering if i could pull radio without removing the whole gauge cluster , seems if I could get the heater duct work out of way i could,
I feel to small bolts on top of it , anyone ever get it out with out removing cluster. out the back passenger side. Thanks

Also my brake light stays on in dash if I remove the wire off proportioning valve it goes out, does that mean its a bad valve ?

also 2 red wires out of firewall by gauges run around distributor to area by
starter not connected or hot anyone know what they are

Radio not working
Thanks for any input
Old 08-07-2015, 09:49 PM
vette_jim
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The brake light question I can give some input on from the standpoint of a 73, 75 may be the same not sure. It's not a proportioning valve, simply a brake warning switch. It tells you if there is a difference between the pressure to the front wheels and to the rear wheels when the brakes are applied. In my case when I applied the brakes, the brake light would come on...found rear caliper leaking and no fluid in that section of the master cylinder. The warning switch has a small piston inside that moves off center when there is a pressure difference, grounding the lead to the light causing it to illuminate. I'm not saying that it can't be bad, just make sure front & rear systems are working properly first.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by galippo
...Just wondering if i could pull radio without removing the whole gauge cluster...
I read an article where someone claimed to have been able to pull the radio with the center cluster in place. All of the ducting behind it had to be removed. Sounds simple until you realize everything behind the radio was installed before the center cluster and radio. The station selector buttons had to be taped flat, and the unit had to go up at the back before it could be wiggled loose.

By the time you've tried all that, you could have the cluster and radio out as a unit.

Brake warning light indicates a imbalance in the system, usually air from a fluid leak.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

Search and you will find some detailed instructions on the removal, but the cluster has to be movable (completely detached) not removed. You can remove it after the radio stems clear to repaint/clean lens etc. Leaving it wired, the oil pressure line limits the movement forward when you tilt it. The 2 nuts that attach the cluster to the shift console are the hardest part of your job; remove and replace. I also read that the radio can come out the side, but no chance. It is not the worst job you can pick, it is not that easy, but don't get frustrated. Briefly, things to remove; wiper control, gauge cluster, R side dash panel, shifter console loosened and slide to rear, radio R bracket, radio nuts/antenna/harness. Protect/cover your shiter console from the cluster studs, bring cluster bottom forward, rest on console far enough to clear the radio stems, slide radio out and take a picture of the mess you created. Good luck.

Originally Posted by galippo
Just wondering if i could pull radio without removing the whole gauge cluster , seems if I could get the heater duct work out of way i could,
I feel to small bolts on top of it , anyone ever get it out with out removing cluster. out the back passenger side. Thanks

Also my brake light stays on in dash if I remove the wire off proportioning valve it goes out, does that mean its a bad valve ?

also 2 red wires out of firewall by gauges run around distributor to area by
starter not connected or hot anyone know what they are

Radio not working
Thanks for any input

Get notified of new replies

To 75 corvette Radio removal/brake light

Quick Reply: 75 corvette Radio removal/brake light