C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 ammeter battery meter wiring at starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 ammeter battery meter wiring at starter

Hey guys. According to the diagram I got from someone on here, it appears the wires for the ammeter go to the starter on my 76 as opposed to the horn relay as on earlier models. I noticed tonight that i "Bubba" has worked on my car prior to me getting it and i'm trying to sort out some issues. I see two wires coming off the starter that are similar in size and both have these "plastic" looking cans inline. As I understand it, fuseable link is just a special kind of wire meant to act as a fuse. Here is a picture of what i'm seeing. Can anyone tell me what they are?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:17 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Default location of my 68's fusible links

Don't see the picture, but here is the post where I located my fusible links on my 68 (may be different on your 76 but idea the same).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...locations.html

You should get a wiring diagram...somebody on this forum supplies them for free.

The stock fusible links on mine looked like little cans. They "open" to save your wiring when the system overheats. You can check to see if it is open by taking a resistance reading across it. You can buy generic replacement fusible links at your local parts store....they just look like a piece of wire. Prepare some heat-shrink, solder them in, and you'll have the new one back in service.

Originally Posted by Jason Burt
Hey guys. According to the diagram I got from someone on here, it appears the wires for the ammeter go to the starter on my 76 as opposed to the horn relay as on earlier models. I noticed tonight that i "Bubba" has worked on my car prior to me getting it and i'm trying to sort out some issues. I see two wires coming off the starter that are similar in size and both have these "plastic" looking cans inline. As I understand it, fuseable link is just a special kind of wire meant to act as a fuse. Here is a picture of what i'm seeing. Can anyone tell me what they are?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did get a wiring diagram from papawana and it's great. I was just caught off guard by the "can" style fuse links. Was expecting it to be the "wire type". Anyway, I'll try the photo again. This one in the photo has come loose on one end. So, while it's not blown, it'll need to be reconnected probably replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 ammeter battery meter wiring at starter

Quick Reply: 1976 ammeter battery meter wiring at starter