C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best side pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I guess that I could use this as a excuse to go with 17/18 inch wheels so that I can use the longer bolt
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 PM
rangepony69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
The pipes on the 68 look fantastic....I guess you have to be careful getting out as they would probably get pretty toasty....
Old 09-01-2015, 04:11 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I guess that I could use this as a excuse to go with 17/18 inch wheels so that I can use the longer bolt
That's kinda where I am. Budget is depleted for now, though.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rangepony69
The pipes on the 68 look fantastic....I guess you have to be careful getting out as they would probably get pretty toasty....
Header wrap around the mufflers and the temperature is significantly less..
Old 09-01-2015, 04:28 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
That's kinda where I am. Budget is depleted for now, though.
I might only do wheels next year.. Hood is next.. I want a L88 hood..
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM
rangepony69
Instructor

Header wrap around the mufflers and the temperature is significantly less..
Cool....do the Hooker inserts (21046) come in a more mellow tone or is it one size fits all?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:45 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Cool....do the Hooker inserts (21046) come in a more mellow tone or is it one size fits all?
The 21046 only come one way. There are other Hooker inserts that are more quiet and eat up lots of Horsepower. Only the Maxflows have good performance.. The most quiet inserts are the Hooker Reverse Flow.. Super quiet and cost you 40+ HP

Reverse flow are part number 21002.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:05 PM
rangepony69
Instructor

The 21046 only come one way. There are other Hooker inserts that are more quiet and eat up lots of Horsepower. Only the Maxflows have good performance.. The most quiet inserts are the Hooker Reverse Flow.. Super quiet and cost you 40+ HP

Reverse flow are part number 21002.
Yikes! The car is very quick but I don't really feel like cutting back.....you know what Shelby said "Too much horsepower is almost enough!"
Old 09-01-2015, 08:43 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Yikes! The car is very quick but I don't really feel like cutting back.....you know what Shelby said "Too much horsepower is almost enough!"
My race car had 700 HP plus a 250 shot of juice.. It was almost enough Horsepower..
Old 09-02-2015, 03:28 AM
myohpe@gmail.com
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed Doug's side mount headers and sidepipes on my 79 two weeks ago. I used the maximum flow inserts with header heat wrap on them. My engine made about 425hp before the side exhaust install. It had a true dual exhaust with Hooker Competition headers, 2-1/4" pipes and chambered mufflers. Having driven my car daily for over five years with this engine, I am intimately familiar with the car's performance. I can say this from personal experience: adding the side mount exhaust system has increased my acceleration off the line and at highway speed. In fact, the difference was so substantial that got that "out of control acceleration" feeling for the first time in years. I had a smile from ear to ear! I am still smiling, as each time I look at my car, I am in love with the way it looks. C3 Corvettes were made for side pipes. I think that reports of the side exhaust system not increasing power come from people who have relatively stock engines in their car. You need a free flowing intake, large port heads and a performance camshaft to appreciate the maximum benefit of these exhausts. But if you have the motor for it, you WILL notice the extra power from installing them.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:55 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by myohpe@gmail.com
I installed Doug's side mount headers and sidepipes on my 79 two weeks ago. I used the maximum flow inserts with header heat wrap on them. My engine made about 425hp before the side exhaust install. It had a true dual exhaust with Hooker Competition headers, 2-1/4" pipes and chambered mufflers. Having driven my car daily for over five years with this engine, I am intimately familiar with the car's performance. I can say this from personal experience: adding the side mount exhaust system has increased my acceleration off the line and at highway speed. In fact, the difference was so substantial that got that "out of control acceleration" feeling for the first time in years. I had a smile from ear to ear! I am still smiling, as each time I look at my car, I am in love with the way it looks. C3 Corvettes were made for side pipes. I think that reports of the side exhaust system not increasing power come from people who have relatively stock engines in their car. You need a free flowing intake, large port heads and a performance camshaft to appreciate the maximum benefit of these exhausts. But if you have the motor for it, you WILL notice the extra power from installing them.
I remember people installing the maxflows at the track and got almost identical times like running open pipes. I also don't find them to be too loud at all. They are at a very reasonable noise level at idle but my car is fairly mild..
Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I went from stock 69' style stainless 2" sidepipes to Hooker stainless steel with 2.5" Max Flow inserts for better performance. I chose Hookers because they are 304 stainless steel made in the USA. More money, but you get what you pay for.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

I have obx branded pipes which are the same pipes from the same factory in china as the maximizers...(they are sold under at least 3 different brandnames that I know of and range from $650 to just over $1,300 for the same pipes depending on distributor/branding.)
I went with the Sweet thunder chambered inserts myself... they come in different sizes (opening) I went with the 2 1/4" and they have that awesome OEM 69 chambered sidepipe sound,... There is a youtube video comparing many of the different options on the same car back to back. they are close but I like the chambered sound over the maxflows judging by that video but never heard them side by side in real life. Many go with the STS spiral baffles but they were too pricey for me...

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:50 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MIKE80
I went from stock 69' style stainless 2" sidepipes to Hooker stainless steel with 2.5" Max Flow inserts for better performance. I chose Hookers because they are 304 stainless steel made in the USA. More money, but you get what you pay for.

Looks nice! However, I believe that I have read that HOOKER makes their side pipes in China too.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Looks nice! However, I believe that I have read that HOOKER makes their side pipes in China too.
Thanks!

According to Holley Rep when I bought mine in March 2014; "Hooker stainless sidepipes were made in Mexico until Holley bought them and moved everything to Aberdeen, MS, where they are made now out of very high quality 304 stainless steel."
Old 09-02-2015, 01:08 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Thanks!

According to Holley Rep when I bought mine in March 2014; "Hooker stainless sidepipes were made in Mexico until Holley bought them and moved everything to Aberdeen, MS, where they are made now out of very high quality 304 stainless steel."
I have not been able to validate those claims but I've seen several threads here where people claimed that the HOOKER pipes were made in china.. I have no way to tell if this is true or false.
The maximizers are supposed to be 304 steel too.. Will see if they stay rust free..
Old 09-02-2015, 01:18 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Thanks!

I have been told this too...

Get notified of new replies

To Best side pipes?

Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

I have not been able to validate those claims but I've seen several threads here where people claimed that the HOOKER pipes were made in china.. I have no way to tell if this is true or false.
The maximizers are supposed to be 304 steel too.. Will see if they stay rust free..
some develop a slight golden light rust corrosion and others dont... due to variations in the metal I think (recycled no doubt)

I cleaned mine with barkeepers friend and havent seen any evidence whatsoever of rust or discoloration reforming(I only had a couple small areas) even though its been parked outside and in the rain often.

one of the brands they marketed these under a while back (xs power I believe) claimed their pipes where made of some different grade of stainless I had not seen advertised before then.

Just a heads up in case you dont know as I didnt, Be careful what you say or claim about stuff guys since if any of these distributors/ brands are vendors here its against the rules to talk that way they do pay the bills here.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:30 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
some develop a slight golden light rust corrosion and others dont... due to variations in the metal I think (recycled no doubt)

I cleaned mine with barkeepers friend and havent seen any evidence whatsoever of rust or discoloration reforming(I only had a couple small areas) even though its been parked outside and in the rain often.

one of the brands they marketed these under a while back (xs power I believe) claimed their pipes where made of some different grade of stainless I had not seen advertised before then.
XS Power website says 304 grade stainless steel and the retailers website claims 321 stainless steel for the same pipes.. Hmmmmm... I think that I'll go with the manufacturers claim. The XS Power Pipes are "supposed' to be made in the US but there are plenty of claims that they also come from China.. Who knows..
I really don't care where they come from. If the difference was not too big, I would go with the US made pipes but $700 vs. $1400 is just too big of a difference to pass on the deal for the cheaper pipes. The maximizers are not all that thin.. Looks like good quality steel to me but I'm not an expert. If I would give away all the things I own that are made in China, half my house would be empty and I would have to close to zero tools. Even the Black&Decker cordless drill is made in China.. and I'm one of Harbor Freight's best customers..
Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

I don't think they lied to me and are built in China.

Give them a call if you'd like.

FlowTech / Hooker
704 Highway 25 South
Aberdeen, MS 39730
662 369-6153 (Tel)

Found this resume online from someone who apparently works there building headers.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/resume/preview/51673143

Quick Reply: Best side pipes?