C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best side pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by MIKE80
I don't think they lied to me and are built in China.

Give them a call if you'd like.

FlowTech / Hooker
704 Highway 25 South
Aberdeen, MS 39730
662 369-6153 (Tel)

Found this resume online from someone who apparently works there building headers.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/resume/preview/51673143
I'm sure that Hooker makes exhaust systems in the USA but the question if if ALL of their exhaust systems are made here??
I don't really care enough to research.. I had several sets of HOOKER side pipes over the years.. Had chrome Hooker Side pipes on one of my '68 Convertibles and a black set on another '68 Convertible and another set of chrome ones on a '69 Convertible that I owned.. Now I got Maximizers on my '68 Vert which are stainless.. I would have paid up to $200 more for US made but not $700 more.. That's just too much difference..
Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
I'm sure that Hooker makes exhaust systems in the USA but the question if if ALL of their exhaust systems are made here??
I don't really care enough to research.. I had several sets of HOOKER side pipes over the years.. Had chrome Hooker Side pipes on one of my '68 Convertibles and a black set on another '68 Convertible and another set of chrome ones on a '69 Convertible that I owned.. Now I got Maximizers on my '68 Vert which are stainless.. I would have paid up to $200 more for US made but not $700 more.. That's just too much difference..
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:59 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

XS Power website says 304 grade stainless steel and the retailers website claims 321 stainless steel for the same pipes.. Hmmmmm... I think that I'll go with the manufacturers claim. The XS Power Pipes are "supposed' to be made in the US but there are plenty of claims that they also come from China.. Who knows..
I really don't care where they come from. If the difference was not too big, I would go with the US made pipes but $700 vs. $1400 is just too big of a difference to pass on the deal for the cheaper pipes. The maximizers are not all that thin.. Looks like good quality steel to me but I'm not an expert. If I would give away all the things I own that are made in China, half my house would be empty and I would have to close to zero tools. Even the Black&Decker cordless drill is made in China.. and I'm one of Harbor Freight's best customers..
craftsmen tools and most of the parts in a Harley are now made in china as well.... just saying... I do believe like 95% of all the oem steel crankshafts are made there as well including GM and bmw if I remember correctly... the enviromental laws make it too expensive to process the required grade of hardened heat treated steel used or so I've read. Hell chevy is having whole cars like the aveo and spark made in Korea by deawoo now and others made by isuzu until bigger things like this are addressed our little nickel and dime purchases are just a drop in the bucket.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
craftsmen tools and most of the parts in a Harley are now made in china as well.... just saying... I do believe like 95% of all the oem steel crankshafts are made there as well including GM and bmw if I remember correctly... the enviromental laws make it too expensive to process the required grade of hardened heat treated steel used or so I've read. Hell chevy is having whole cars like the aveo and spark made in Korea by deawoo now and others made by isuzu until bigger things like this are addressed our little nickel and dime purchases are just a drop in the bucket.
EPA is killing business in this country by overregulating

It's just not cost efficient to produce certain things in this country. It's sad but that's the unfortunate truth.

It could also be that the pipes come from china but they are welded together in the US.. Not sure...
Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This is why I went with Hooker stainless and stayed away from OBX or similar stainless sidepipes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-this-2.html
Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

This is why I went with Hooker stainless and stayed away from OBX or similar stainless sidepipes.

Many people here have them and it only seems to happen to very very few of them.. I took the risk.. So far, they still look good
Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Many people here have them and it only seems to happen to very very few of them.. I took the risk.. So far, they still look good
same here 2 years now and they look great.... Like I said I had a couple small spots that turned brown which was likely contamination from polishing metal working or brushing with componentss that where also used on regular steel.

a little barkeepers friend I keep on hand to passivate the stainless in my brewery from the same thing and good to go... the welds polished up in less than 20 minutes... all and all an extra 45 minutes of time on them was woth saving $700 especially after reading and discovering the hookers had the same fitment and quality issues in many cases..

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Globalization is here and it isn't going away. China can pop out parts so quickly that as more and more product suppliers go to them and drive prices down, made in USA shops are more difficult to stay afloat unless they have something really special.

Speedhut Gauges, ARP Bolts, and Dewitt's Radiators come to mind as domestic shops that have something special, and we all know how cheap chinese radiators have caused some drama for Dewitt. The much lower cost is hard to ignore, although there is no question that he has something special and of high quality.

If Hooker is owned by Holley, which is owned by Jeg's which is large enough to care about cost savings of just one of their many products, it should come to no surprise if some of the parts come from China IMO

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 09-02-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:24 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

fyi... exceptions to every norm.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
Globalization is here and it isn't going away. China can pop out parts so quickly that as more and more product suppliers go to them and drive prices down, made in USA shops are more difficult to stay afloat unless they have something really special.

Speedhut Gauges, ARP Bolts, and Dewitt's Radiators come to mind as domestic shops that have something special, and we all know how cheap chinese radiators have caused some drama for Dewitt. The much lower cost is hard to ignore, although there is no question that he has something special and of high quality.

If Hooker is owned by Holley, which is owned by Jeg's which is large enough to care about cost savings of just one of their many products, it should come to no surprise if some of the parts come from China IMO
Holley (or the conglomerate that owns them) owns a number of header companies as well as others it has bought out and they use the names to market stuff made elsewhere in some cases like generic crap ($9 regulator market up to $30 and sold as a holley fuel regulator anyone?)... Honeywell it a big offender of this too look what they did to autolite. and they own fram which is proof that marketing is more powerful than quality.

Bottom line is I try to shop by being an educated consumer and ignore the brand names.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:34 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Honeywell it a big offender of this too..
Relevant wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/badge_engineering
Old 09-02-2015, 02:35 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Your vette does look good with the sidepipes
Old 09-02-2015, 02:43 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

same here 2 years now and they look great.... Like I said I had a couple small spots that turned brown which was likely contamination from polishing metal working or brushing with componentss that where also used on regular steel.

a little barkeepers friend I keep on hand to passivate the stainless in my brewery from the same thing and good to go... the welds polished up in less than 20 minutes... all and all an extra 45 minutes of time on them was woth saving $700 especially after reading and discovering the hookers had the same fitment and quality issues in many cases..
Actually, I read on Summitracing reviews that customers had huge fitment issues with them Hookers... That made my decision easier to go with Maximizers..
Old 09-02-2015, 02:46 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Your vette does look good with the sidepipes
Thanks! I haven't even polished the welds yet
Old 09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

fyi... exceptions to every norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5WUJX9hv5o
It opens up the question...
Let's assume that hooker assembles all their exhaust systems in the US.. That still does not answer the question on if they use Chinese or US made steel pipes? What if they pipes are made in China but welded together in the US. Can this be considered "MADE IN THE USA"?? I think that the expensive part is making the steel due to EPA regulations. The welding part is not really the expensive part of making headers..

I remember that chrome plating used to be super cheap... until the EPA changed their rules and prices went sky high. That's why many manufactorers have their components made in China.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:39 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

It opens up the question...
Let's assume that hooker assembles all their exhaust systems in the US.. That still does not answer the question on if they use Chinese or US made steel pipes? What if they pipes are made in China but welded together in the US. Can this be considered "MADE IN THE USA"?? I think that the expensive part is making the steel due to EPA regulations. The welding part is not really the expensive part of making headers..

I remember that chrome plating used to be super cheap... until the EPA changed their rules and prices went sky high. That's why many manufactorers have their components made in China.
You just need final assembly to be done here to say "Made in the USA" ask Harley davidson.... they bank on their reputation and high costs to keep people believing what they want but a lot has changed with them over the years. Most owners avoid this truth intentionally since they would rather believe what they want.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I've told this story a few times but At one point the chevy nova and toyota corolla where built in the same factory just different emblems and interior packages.... toyotas were selling so quickly because of all the "superior" build quality hype at the time that they were actually buying the unsold chevy nova and replacing the interiors and emblems and reselling them a toyotas... probably a real collectors item now..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eered_vehicles

from the research I did the sidepipes are all made the same way and due to common variences in the cars from old/new body/engine mounts and such. they all have the same fitment issues that vary from car to car or pipes to pipes. from jigs used.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best side pipes?

Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 PM
myohpe@gmail.com
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Steel tubing is dirt cheap from China or the USA. The most expensive part of producing a set of headers is the bending, fixturing and welding. These three things are done by human hands even today, although the bending is accomplished with a CNC bender, loaded and trimmed by a person. I can tell you that there is little difference in quality between steel from China and the US. It all depends on the grade ordered by the company. China produces aerospace quality stainless and other alloys now. They aren't the same China that they were 30 years ago. They have moved upward technologically. Remember, that they make all of the cell phones including the high-end $800 ones. The quality all depends on the specifications called for by the American company ordering the product. I'm not trying to be a promoter of Chinese merchandise by any means. I go out of my way to buy American made stuff whenever I can. But I'm not as worried about quality differences between Chinese and US goods as I used to be. The onus is on the buyer to determine the quality of the items they buy before paying for them. This is one reason I read the buyer feedback on websites so often. I try to learn from other's experience before I plunk down my hard-earned money for something.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by myohpe@gmail.com
Steel tubing is dirt cheap from China or the USA. The most expensive part of producing a set of headers is the bending, fixturing and welding. These three things are done by human hands even today, although the bending is accomplished with a CNC bender, loaded and trimmed by a person. I can tell you that there is little difference in quality between steel from China and the US. It all depends on the grade ordered by the company. China produces aerospace quality stainless and other alloys now. They aren't the same China that they were 30 years ago. They have moved upward technologically. Remember, that they make all of the cell phones including the high-end $800 ones. The quality all depends on the specifications called for by the American company ordering the product. I'm not trying to be a promoter of Chinese merchandise by any means. I go out of my way to buy American made stuff whenever I can. But I'm not as worried about quality differences between Chinese and US goods as I used to be. The onus is on the buyer to determine the quality of the items they buy before paying for them. This is one reason I read the buyer feedback on websites so often. I try to learn from other's experience before I plunk down my hard-earned money for something.
not sure if stainless is djrt cheap in the US.. I would imagine that it's quite a bit more than regular steel.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 PM
myohpe@gmail.com
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default This aint no Toyota!

I've told this story a few times but At one point the chevy nova and toyota corolla where built in the same factory just different emblems and interior packages.... toyotas were selling so quickly because of all the "superior" build quality hype at the time that they were actually buying the unsold chevy nova and replacing the interiors and emblems and reselling them a toyotas... probably a real collectors item now..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eered_vehicles

from the research I did the sidepipes are all made the same way and due to common variences in the cars from old/new body/engine mounts and such. they all have the same fitment issues that vary from car to car or pipes to pipes. from jigs used.
I remember when a Nova was really a Nova. Here is my 74 Nova photographed back in 1985, it aint no Toyota bub.

Quick Reply: Best side pipes?