C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best side pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:59 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

exhaust is more dependent on looks and sounds isn't it?? if I had a bone stock 350 and stuck a set of snake pit pipes and then 3.0 open tubes I would run into issues of losing my bottom end torque right?
Same given motor I put on a set of tri y headers and a decent exhaust 2.5 it will run fairly well. and keep some decent bottom end.
Now lets suppose I like the 68-69 style side pipes and put them on my basically stock motor. They sound decent 2.0 head pipes right? but they neck down to 1.75 into the muffler. Hell of a lot of restriction.
Now in my case I have a very mild 350 11.0:1 aluminium heads angle milled roller billet cam dual plane intake with a set of McJack headers going into Sweet Thunder 2.5 pipes yes a true inlet to the muffler
I am making 426hp@6000 and 442ft/lbs@4000 that's at the flywheel
Old 09-02-2015, 07:04 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

The best sidepipes are Stahl (now ACP) side exits with 4" tailpipes. Their headers aren't listed yet. Here is their website http://www.acproducts.us/
Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3X2
The best sidepipes are Stahl (now ACP) side exits with 4" tailpipes. Their headers aren't listed yet. Here is their website http://www.acproducts.us/
Best for what?? would you run those on a stock 350?? every ones application is different so whats best performing for one might not be the best for someone else.
Sort of like tuning an engine what is best for one might not be good for you.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by jkippin
Best for what?? would you run those on a stock 350?? every ones application is different so whats best performing for one might not be the best for someone else.
Sort of like tuning an engine what is best for one might not be good for you.
Horsepower and torque. It's too bad Jere Stahl stopped making headers. He wrote the book on header design.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:53 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3X2
Horsepower and torque. It's too bad Jere Stahl stopped making headers. He wrote the book on header design.
Stahl was the man in the day no doubt.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:48 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by myohpe@gmail.com
Steel tubing is dirt cheap from China or the USA. The most expensive part of producing a set of headers is the bending, fixturing and welding. These three things are done by human hands even today, although the bending is accomplished with a CNC bender, loaded and trimmed by a person. I can tell you that there is little difference in quality between steel from China and the US. It all depends on the grade ordered by the company. China produces aerospace quality stainless and other alloys now. They aren't the same China that they were 30 years ago. They have moved upward technologically. Remember, that they make all of the cell phones including the high-end $800 ones. The quality all depends on the specifications called for by the American company ordering the product. I'm not trying to be a promoter of Chinese merchandise by any means. I go out of my way to buy American made stuff whenever I can. But I'm not as worried about quality differences between Chinese and US goods as I used to be. The onus is on the buyer to determine the quality of the items they buy before paying for them. This is one reason I read the buyer feedback on websites so often. I try to learn from other's experience before I plunk down my hard-earned money for something.
I service equipment for many "steel companies" (most are just distributors/brokers these days it seems) around here and most buy some steel from china and some domestic... depends on type and use... once it passed through these middlemen its often considered American steel... there's a lot of grey area out there...More and more of our industry is about passing off foreign stuff through American fronts it seems... an easy way to normally tell a Chinese made stainless product from an American one is by the finish... if its highly polished theres a good chance its Chinese (polishing labor costs too much in the states for huge profits)... This is almost always the case with cookware and such but unfortunately doesn't always apply to exhaust components.

I pass whats left of the old Bethlehem steel plant every once in a while when I go to work at places like Ford... its a sad site to see such a huge company reduced to waste.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-03-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Best side pipes?