C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JB-weld to prevent fuel loss/QJet

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:58 PM
mk's78
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default JB-weld to prevent fuel loss/QJet

Hey there forum members,

I remember seeing threads/posts over the past few years concerning the use of JB-Weld or equivalent to seal the wells inside the Q-Jet..

Cannot locate them and would like to know the how & what it takes to accomplish the well sealing...

As usual any and all tips, references, procedures would be greatly appreciated...

mk's78

Mike
Old 09-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

After years of jungle fixes, I found these:
http://quadrajetparts.com/secondary-...lug-p-122.html
Going to install them this weekend.
I "think" they may be a cure.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:18 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mk's78
Hey there forum members,

I remember seeing threads/posts over the past few years concerning the use of JB-Weld or equivalent to seal the wells inside the Q-Jet..

Cannot locate them and would like to know the how & what it takes to accomplish the well sealing...

As usual any and all tips, references, procedures would be greatly appreciated...

mk's78

Mike
Here is info on the problem.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Here is info on the problem.
I wish I knew Cliff had that.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:22 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like a good fix. I'd be nervous as heck tapping that carb body. One little bind of the tap and it could be goodbye Charlie.
But I drilled and tapped my Muncie for a drain plug/temp sender. I sweated bullets thru that one too. Came out great.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

The tap and plug is certainly the answer. JB weld was an answer until the ethanol blends showed up.

Turns out that ethanol softens polyester epoxies including trusty ole JB weld. I looked into various sealants for ethanol fuels and there's not a lot out there that actually state they are resistant.

Phenol Novalac is if you can get it in reasonable qty's.
M
Old 09-03-2015, 07:26 AM
mk's78
Racer

Default hey there Big2Bird...

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
After years of jungle fixes, I found these:
http://quadrajetparts.com/secondary-...lug-p-122.html
Going to install them this weekend.
I "think" they may be a cure.
Hi Big2Bird,

Was contemplating trying that fix myself......Would you be able to share the procedures on how you are actually going to do the install???

Have chatted with Cliff via several emails but I'd still like to know how and what it takes to make it a DIY project....

Thanks for your help...

mk's78

Mike
Old 09-03-2015, 08:13 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Are you sure that the wells are actually leaking? According to Lars and other experts, the notorious "leaking plugs" are more fiction than fact, especially in the more recent carbs.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Are you sure that the wells are actually leaking? According to Lars and other experts, the notorious "leaking plugs" are more fiction than fact, especially in the more recent carbs.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Have you taken the carb off and actually checked if it's leaking?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you have a '78 carb, it is highly unlikely that the 'wells' in the carb body will leak. To check, put fuel in the [loose] carb body and see it if leaks. If not, don't waste your time with the "fix".
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 AM
mk's78
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you have a '78 carb, it is highly unlikely that the 'wells' in the carb body will leak. To check, put fuel in the [loose] carb body and see it if leaks. If not, don't waste your time with the "fix".
Good morning 7T1vette,

Hmmmm sounds like a good idea..and yes I am not completely sure that they leak..The C3 club members are the actual driving force for my concern/inquiry...

I could probably make an attempt to try your suggestion....May I assume that the carb has to be removed??? And could you explain what you mean by the (loose) carb body????

My guess would be to remove the carb, place it on a flat surface and pour in some gas......and again where exactly would the fuel be added???

I know it sounds like I am a complete dufus but when the forum offers help I make every attempt to follow through....

Thanks 7T1vette....Mike/mk's78

And is it is a 78 OE Q-jet...
Old 09-05-2015, 03:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Sorry, I was assuming that the carb was already off and apart.

You would need to remove the carb from the engine; and it would be best to remove the throttle plate assembly from the carb. That would expose the well plugs.

Since your carb is still on the car, I just wouldn't mess with it. The leaky well plug issue was early in the Q-Jet's life. Various things were done to try to resolve some frequency of plug leakage. But, by 1976, Rochester had put a solid fix in place. That's not to say that it's not possible for the well plugs on your carb to be leaking. But, the risk is probably so low, it wouldn't be worth removing it from the engine.

If you are having some 'odd' symptoms that you thought leaky well plugs might be causing, you should probably look elsewhere. If you post those symptoms, maybe we can offer some possible causes.

Get notified of new replies

To JB-weld to prevent fuel loss/QJet

Quick Reply: JB-weld to prevent fuel loss/QJet