C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Accessory's and windows always powered.. draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Abbacabba
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 71 Accessory's and windows always powered.. draining battery

My 71 conv. requires a manual battery disconnect because the power is always hot to the radio and windows even after the key is removed.

This thing needs a complete rewire, but is there something simple-ish, for me to look into that might be simple for now?

-There are no switches on the door, which I would imagine should be there to cut the power after opening the door. (My modern cars work this way)
Old 09-03-2015, 04:02 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Abbacabba
My 71 conv. requires a manual battery disconnect because the power is always hot to the radio and windows even after the key is removed.

This thing needs a complete rewire, but is there something simple-ish, for me to look into that might be simple for now?

-There are no switches on the door, which I would imagine should be there to cut the power after opening the door. (My modern cars work this way)

A previous owner just changed the wiring around so he could listen to his radio and power his windows up and down without having to turn the key ON. I did the same thing to my '71 right after I got it because its a lot handier to be able to operate both with the key OFF.

For safety reasons G.M chose to allow power to the windows only when the key was on to prevent a kid from getting into the car and hurting himself or his little sister with the powerful power windows.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:56 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

What does your fuse panel look like? I am going by my 69 which might be similar.

You should have an ACC tab in the middle of the fuse panel. This tab should have your power window harness plugged into it NOT the BAT or IGN tab. (again ... this is how the 69 is done I dont have a 71 wiring diagram)

The power windows are an add on harness that is supposed to be plugged into the ACC tab so that its only hot when the key is in RUN or ACC.

Is the radio aftermarket? Sounds like it wired to the wrong circuit as well. I would trace it back and see where the radio is connected to. Cant really tell without more info.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The pink/black for the power windows plugs into the IGN terminal.
The 71 schematic does not have a PW diagram so use this one.

http://www.vetteprojects.com/bmv/mis...tte%201974.pdf

71 Schematic;
http://www.vetteprojects.com/bmv/mis...tte%201971.pdf
Old 09-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'd start looking at the ignition switch- Mounted on the steering column- controlled by a rod - so you don't need to take apart the column. The rod/switch might just be messed up. Disconnect and check the power at the wires w/ diagram below

Wires/ diagram at the switch-

starter wires by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

The ignition switch

DSCN5206 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5195 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Rod that controls the switch

DSCN5205 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Wring harness for ignition switch

DSCN5194 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Either your ignition switch has been re-routed intentionally....or it has failed and needs to be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Accessory's and windows always powered.. draining battery

Quick Reply: 71 Accessory's and windows always powered.. draining battery