C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with engine running hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The measurement difference makes no sense and by all appearances it's due to bad measurements. Your rad measurements do appear to be on the low side all around. If you want to know for sure then get a contact probe to measure temperature.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

10* initial sounds way to low. Advance your timing to at least 15 or 16 * initial and 36 total. You may have to rework your advance/springs/weights pending what type of Dizzy you have. Use manifold vac advance.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:40 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I had forgotten about this thread. Take the radiator cap off and let it warm up or remove the t-stat and look inside the radiator and see which the coolant is going. As you know it should be coming from the drivers side and you should be able to see it coming out of the coolant tubes. The lower hose being hotter than the top hose is pretty weird
Old 10-05-2015, 12:54 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I suggest trashing those worthless 11" SPAL fans and put the OEM shroud and 7-blade clutch fan back on. I'm running a 425 hp 454" with A/C and the hottest it ever gets is 210 degrees in stop-and-go city traffic on a 105 degree day.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
I suggest trashing those worthless 11" SPAL fans and put the OEM shroud and 7-blade clutch fan back on. I'm running a 425 hp 454" with A/C and the hottest it ever gets is 210 degrees in stop-and-go city traffic on a 105 degree day.
Like I mentioned before, the car was getting hot at idle with the stock clutch fan. Now with the electric fans, it never gets hot at idle. The problem I'm having is at speed, which relies more in ran air flow rather than what fan is in the car. If your only solution is to insult my current setup and tell me to put on something that I've already said I had in my car and didn't work properly, then please refrain from posting. There are many people running big blocks with the setup I have that don't overheat.

This exact SPAL fan setup on a DeWitts radiator cools a 500+hp/500+ft/lbs 455 in my Buick without any problems.

Last edited by dmruschell; 10-05-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:12 AM
dmruschell
Pro

I was just going to let this thread die out, as the engine is getting a warrantied re-ringing soon. I had always complained about oil consumption to the guy who built it, and nothing we did fixed it. He diagnosed a bad PCV valve (that was never replaced, even when the engine was built 3.5 years ago). The new valve is being blown out of the valve cover, which means the rings never seated properly.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:09 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dmruschell
Like I mentioned before, the car was getting hot at idle with the stock clutch fan. Now with the electric fans, it never gets hot at idle. The problem I'm having is at speed, which relies more in ran air flow rather than what fan is in the car. If your only solution is to insult my current setup and tell me to put on something that I've already said I had in my car and didn't work properly, then please refrain from posting. There are many people running big blocks with the setup I have that don't overheat.

This exact SPAL fan setup on a DeWitts radiator cools a 500+hp/500+ft/lbs 455 in my Buick without any problems.
FYI, I have seen that Toobroke guy respond a few times before and I think the census here is he does not have a clue what he is talking about, just ignore him.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:08 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by widowmaker221
FYI, I have seen that Toobroke guy respond a few times before and I think the census here is he does not have a clue what he is talking about, just ignore him.
Just understand that he is voicing his opinion on the cooling fan subject and not necessarily presenting facts.
Toobroke does have experience, he just needs to keep an open mind and realize that some solutions and technology may have changed since 1970, thereby changing the options that are available to today's hotrodder.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Originally Posted by widowmaker221

Quick Reply: Help with engine running hot