C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Tibbs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body Off

Guys,
Thinking about taking body off my 79, other than seats, what else should come out of the interior if taking body off. This is a running car that I am about to swap out the engine on and I was thinking about going ahead and restoring the running gear as well. I know probablt a PIA, but i've got all winter...thoughts????
Old 10-08-2015, 01:36 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tibbs
Guys,
Thinking about taking body off my 79, other than seats, what else should come out of the interior if taking body off. This is a running car that I am about to swap out the engine on and I was thinking about going ahead and restoring the running gear as well. I know probablt a PIA, but i've got all winter...thoughts????
If your just doing a motor swap and freshening/rebuilding suspension I would recommend keeping it on.

Taking the body off leads to the "while I'm at it" syndrome and the next thing you know your doing a full out rest / resto-mod and several years have passed.

Again, unless the car needs more, or you plan to go that far, just do what you need to do the way it sits. There isn't really anything that is too difficult to access with the body on. That will also guarantee you have a driveable car to enjoy come spring.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

There are a lot of things to remove. The seats though is probably not one of them. You will have to remove the seat belts though. And here is a list of things I can think off from my 71. They may not apply to a 79.

Wiring grounds
Battery connections
Engine harness
Speedo cable
Front and rear bumpers
Bumper supports
Oil pressure line
Brake lines from master cylinder
Radiator support bolts
Parking brake cable
Vacuum lines

Basically everyone connected to the engine needs to be disconnected. You may also have issues with the 8 body mount bolts depending on rust and corrosion.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For a 1979...Seat belts do not need to be removed...the floor pans are different.

Steering column at gear box
Fan off of engine.
Fan shroud
Radiator (to save on weight)
Oil pressure sensor wire ( does not use a line like earlier Corvettes)
Heater hoses
Wiring to your HEI distributor.
Starter wiring
A/C compressor wiring
Ground wire at starter or transmission bolt. ( Small black wire)
Accelerator cable

DUB
Old 10-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Tibbs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the responses...i was just concerned about the weight of the body w/doors/glass/door panels and the like. I can see how it could turn into a "while i'm at it" thing, but i guess that would be "the" time to do it. Thx again for responses
Old 10-09-2015, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You can lighten the load by taking otu as much as you like...I do the same thing....no battery, seats door panels. Anything that can come out rather quickly. I leave the doors on...but the T-tops can come out.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Body Off

Quick Reply: Body Off