C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80e experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 PM
AW IR C3
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Of course

Zip Products, Inc
800-962-9632 ext 256
I'm Justin at ext 256. If you are close you are welcome to come drive our 76 with the 6L80 in it.
It completely changed my attitude towards our 76. This car was nervous at 60mph, it has a 290HP crate engine in it.
Once the trans was in it, on the first day I was riding with the calibration engineer in it and we were doing 90 which I didn't even think the car would go that fast. You can cruise easily at 70 and pull out and pass. It is fun to drive now. Don't get me wrong on 70's Corvette's I have had plenty of them and have a 75 now but none of them drive as good as this car now.
Thanks for the invite Justin, I get around the richmond area about once a year. I am planning a trip to fort Lee to go to the tank museum some point this spring. I'll have to try to get with you then.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
I was going to do one in my SS Silverado and the controller alone was well over a grand. That was enough for me to stick with a built 4L65 with the beefed up parts from monster transmission.
There not a grand, who's controller were you looking at?

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 02-05-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by AW IR C3
Thanks for the invite Justin, I get around the richmond area about once a year. I am planning a trip to fort Lee to go to the tank museum some point this spring. I'll have to try to get with you then.
You are more than welcome. We are finalizing up the kit right now but the car is driveable. I had in in Carlisle two years ago with a 6L80 sitting right next to it. We were working on incorporating paddle shift but we put that on hold until the kit was finished.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:18 PM
AW IR C3
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You are more than welcome. We are finalizing up the kit right now but the car is driveable. I had in in Carlisle two years ago with a 6L80 sitting right next to it. We were working on incorporating paddle shift but we put that on hold until the kit was finished.
Any chance you'll be headed out to carlisle with it this year as well?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by AW IR C3
Any chance you'll be headed out to carlisle with it this year as well?
Little early to tell, but likely.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

The 4L80e is also a six speed.. It takes a valve body and I think a forward clutch drum and the stand alone controller from TCI . My "Guess" is a six speed 4l80 is gonna be more affordable.

I paid 1500.00 for a HD rebuild on a 4L80e , 599.00 for the controller , 700.00 for a lock up 10" 3600 stall converter. If I wanted six speed I think I would have spent 1200.00 more .
I spent 2799.00 ( I have 600hp 570 tq )
Six speed 3999.00

If you do it smart use local resources PTC for the converter you should be able to go six sped for about half the internet transmission guys , who quite frankly charge WAY to much for transmissions.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by diehrd
The 4L80e is also a six speed.. It takes a valve body and I think a forward clutch drum and the stand alone controller from TCI . My "Guess" is a six speed 4l80 is gonna be more affordable.

I paid 1500.00 for a HD rebuild on a 4L80e , 599.00 for the controller , 700.00 for a lock up 10" 3600 stall converter. If I wanted six speed I think I would have spent 1200.00 more .
I spent 2799.00 ( I have 600hp 570 tq )
Six speed 3999.00

If you do it smart use local resources PTC for the converter you should be able to go six sped for about half the internet transmission guys , who quite frankly charge WAY to much for transmissions.
A 4L80e is a four speed. There is a valve body out that will make a 6spd out of one, it is the same person or company that makes my controller for the 6L80. It is still expensive either way you go. You actually get a 6 spd with a 6L80 though and not gear splitting like you would for a 4L80 converted into a 6spd. There will also be other options with the 6L80 like the performnce or normal modes, you will up tap up or tap down. You get better gearing with the 6L80 though.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:30 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 597 Posts

This is great to hear, will be looking forward to seeing details of the Zip kit.

What variation of 6Lxx are you using?

In Australia the Commodore V6 and V8 both come with 6speed 6L80's and i think 6L45/50's (In the US its a Chevrolet SS) so fairly available.

In fact easier to find here than a 200r4

Last edited by CraigH; 05-04-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by craigh
this is great to hear, will be looking forward to seeing details of the zip kit.

What variation of 6lxx are you using?

In australia the commodore v6 and v8 both come with 6speed 6l80's and i think 6l45/50's (in the us its a chevrolet ss) so fairly available.

In fact easier to find here than a 200r4
6l80
Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 AM
10Seconds918
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Justin, I called you and left a message for you today. I just got a 6l80e to put in behind a l92, so definitely interested in what you did to make this work. Please call or message me back when you can. If its easer, you can text too 918-402-3447. Thanks, Ryan
Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

6l80

What is the status on these kits ???
I am looking into A 4l80e or 6l80e to put behind my sbc .
Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by stingraymax
What is the status on these kits ???
I am looking into A 4l80e or 6l80e to put behind my sbc .
Still waiting on my crossmember being built. As soon as it is here and tested kits are ready to go. We are working on some other stuff also for it like paddle shifters but those my be a ways out.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:57 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 597 Posts

Still waiting on my crossmember being built. As soon as it is here and tested kits are ready to go. We are working on some other stuff also for it like paddle shifters but those my be a ways out.
Do you have any pictures of the prototype crossmember etc .

Last edited by CraigH; 05-16-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by CraigH
Do you have any pictures of the prototype crossmember etc .
Not right now.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

It's taking over a year and they haven't finished building a crossmember? I could build one in a weekend, probably a day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Daugird:
10Seconds918 (05-30-2017), BV85 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:45 PM
Zip Corvettes

well we haven't been working on a cross member for a year but it feels like it. The company that is building it is not finished. So you know how this works, when you are not ordering a thousand of them, you are on the back burner. Yes we could have made the prototype, but there was no need to. It was drawn and we already know it will work, now it is just waiting for the production ones to show up. They are also made in the US so again, because of low production numbers, we are not a priority and it is hard to tell them to rush it and still have an affordable crossmember. If you don't mind a made in China one, they are available from some other vendors. I just will not use one. However the kit/Controller is exclusive to Zip. We are also working on the paddle kit for the column, but I have not had much time in designing as of right now.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:02 PM
10Seconds918
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The sad thing is that this is an utter fail on the part of ZIP. I am all about making stuff in the USA, etc, but if you cant get it done in a timely manner or at a price people will pay, you lose customers. Don't try to blame your incompetence on my Patriotism.

I wanted this a year ago. I called and talked to ZIP over a year ago, I wanted to buy it. Like others have said, it could have been done in that time, but they didnt bother. He says they havent been working on it for over a year? Really, look up in the thread, I called him over a year ago and he said they were almost done with it then, definitely by summer. So which was the lie? Hard to tell now I guess.

So, I had my crossmember custom made. I am using a GM controller, and a shrifter-6 paddle shifter.

The type of person that would buy this, is not the type of person who will sit idle waiting for over a year either.

I am very confident I could have taken my one-off crossmember to a local fabshop and reproduced it on a small scale for less than $400.

Zip says there was "no need to" for them to have bothered to make the prototype, instead entrusting everything to another company - well there was a need - such as not loosing customers, or maybe be seen as innovators, or anything other than lazy and content.

I would bet money on the fact that ZIP is nowhere near to production on this, they are "gauging interest" baiting people with this thread and then if enough people get excited they may do it. Sorry, I didn't fall for your game.

Last edited by 10Seconds918; 05-30-2017 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffs82c3 (05-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 6L80e experiences?

Old 05-31-2017, 06:13 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 10Seconds918
The sad thing is that this is an utter fail on the part of ZIP. I am all about making stuff in the USA, etc, but if you cant get it done in a timely manner or at a price people will pay, you lose customers. Don't try to blame your incompetence on my Patriotism.

I wanted this a year ago. I called and talked to ZIP over a year ago, I wanted to buy it. Like others have said, it could have been done in that time, but they didnt bother. He says they havent been working on it for over a year? Really, look up in the thread, I called him over a year ago and he said they were almost done with it then, definitely by summer. So which was the lie? Hard to tell now I guess.

So, I had my crossmember custom made. I am using a GM controller, and a shrifter-6 paddle shifter.

The type of person that would buy this, is not the type of person who will sit idle waiting for over a year either.

I am very confident I could have taken my one-off crossmember to a local fabshop and reproduced it on a small scale for less than $400.

Zip says there was "no need to" for them to have bothered to make the prototype, instead entrusting everything to another company - well there was a need - such as not loosing customers, or maybe be seen as innovators, or anything other than lazy and content.

I would bet money on the fact that ZIP is nowhere near to production on this, they are "gauging interest" baiting people with this thread and then if enough people get excited they may do it. Sorry, I didn't fall for your game.

I agree, I was also waiting on this when looking into replacing my tranny.

But have gone another route as nothing seems to move on this part.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:51 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by 10Seconds918

If you talked to me a year ago, then you realize your factory 68-76 Crossmember would work. We had our 76 in Carlisle last year and the year before with a 6L80 in it. The only reason for a different crossmember is for exhaust. We have also been waiting on the custom torque convertor which is done. Now if you need it right now, I can make it happen, it's all about money. That means you will be paying for a custom crossmember and hand fabricated convertor. You say we fail, but so far we are the only company that has spent money engineering this. Maybe you should come out with a kit and show me how it is done since you know better than we do. I will happily sell your kit when you are done if it is up to par. I am sure you also realize this is hardly the only thing we do.... It is not a front burner so to speak, there are allot of moving parts with and other vendors involved. I am not cutting out the guy that is making my crossmember and I will wait on him. You could have easily bought our kit two years ago if you wanted to go that route. I'm thinking you never planned on buying this from us but used us as the information to assemble your own setup. For example there are no paddle shifters that work on the factory column, same with the shifter itself. We had to have all the brackets made for that. The paddle shift is not complete, the electronic board is being redesigned because of how the tilt column is. If you are using a factory GM controller, then you are using a LS engine as well. You didn't need anything from us except for information and if you talked to me, I gave that to you. So you are welcome, thank you for slamming me in public forum after we helped you.
Justin

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 05-31-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Zip Corvettes

Ryan, you started talking to me a year ago exactly. That crossmember was 2 versions ago and none of which worked the way we wanted. I have been working on this new one since Aug of 16, yes it is May that is a long time. It is called small parts manufacturing and the person that makes this for me, it is also a side project for him when compared to his daily business. We have been busy with allot of stuff and sometimes that slows other projects like this trans. Nobody has been knocking my doors down with questions about it so it has not been a priority, sounds like you were just using us for information, so I'm sorry I am not throwing cash at something to get it done faster so I can explain to you how to get it done. The same with the paddles shifter, by the time it is done, with all the engineering and prototype parts you are at least 30k in expenses. The Corvette alone will not pay for this, so it is piggy backed on other projects as well and it will be done in due time. Unless of course you would like to fund it.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 05-31-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 6L80e experiences?