C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Electric Headlamp door kit available.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:36 AM
Shannon Born
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Electric Headlamp door kit available.

Just wanted to share a new product i got some info about yesterday. Detroit Speed has a new electric headlamp door kit available. If your any kind of muscle car / pro-touring enthusiast at all, you know these guys build some of the best and most innovative stuff to be had.....period.
I do have experience with the electric kit that has already been on the market, and had plan on installing the kit in my 73. It's a decent kit, a bit pricey at $1000.
From the looks of the video of the Detroit Speed unit, it seems to be a simpler install with less parts and adustments. And the price is significantly less as well.
I'm in no way trying to boost one vendor or take away from another....just wanted people to know there is a new option out there.

Popular Reply

03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Shannon Born
I've never found the other kit for under 1000., so this kit is about 150. less, and "appears" to be a simpler install. I'm antsy to see the installation video that is forthcoming.
The guys right here on this forum put together a much simpler-better-cheaper system. And it's been done by several hundred DIYers.

The Ford Probe/Miata headlight motors are the ticket. NO external electronics to go bad- the switching /stopping is all done internally. No current sensing circuits/or limit switches required. PLUS these motors have a proven track record- been on a million plus cars for 20+ years w/ a very small amount of failures. My brother's 92 Miata has over 260K on it and still has the original headlight motors operating w/ no issues.

Since the Probe/Miata motors use a positive trigger to go up and a trigger to go down- w/ the use of a standard Bosch SPDT AKA 5 wire relay - there is no need to run wires all the way inside the cabin - drop the column and take the dash apart just to attach wires to the headlight switch.

The switching is controlled by ingenious circular contact disc INSIDE the motor- stops at the plastic breaks.

Fit w/ no issues -even w/ AC

And have a way to mechanically open -if needed (red ****)

Some brackets -couple of Heim joints w/ threaded rod and a relay/headlight harness- you are there.

Harness- plugs right in- no need to modify factory stuff- then is power and ground for the motors.

Heim joint- screws right into the factory clevis- no need to take apart headlight assembly.

You can send me an email richard454 at comcast dot net and I'll be glad to send you a PDF w/ install instructions and bracket dimensions.

Here they are -

And a fellow forum member Randal-

Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Shannon Born
Heel & Toe

here is the link directly to Detroit Speed's website, with prices of the kit.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/
Old 03-02-2016, 07:42 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

looks like a nice kit but damn thats expensive.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Shannon Born
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
looks like a nice kit but damn thats expensive.
I've never found the other kit for under 1000., so this kit is about 150. less, and "appears" to be a simpler install. I'm antsy to see the installation video that is forthcoming.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Do a search on here for new electric headlight.. cost me less than 100 to do the whole install.
The following users liked this post:
ratflinger (06-18-2020)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:45 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I wonder what makes the C2 kit less expensive than the C3 kit?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I wonder what makes the C2 kit less expensive than the C3 kit?
The C2s are already electric. That probably makes it easier to retrofit with later motors.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shannon Born
The guys right here on this forum put together a much simpler-better-cheaper system. And it's been done by several hundred DIYers.

The Ford Probe/Miata headlight motors are the ticket. NO external electronics to go bad- the switching /stopping is all done internally. No current sensing circuits/or limit switches required. PLUS these motors have a proven track record- been on a million plus cars for 20+ years w/ a very small amount of failures. My brother's 92 Miata has over 260K on it and still has the original headlight motors operating w/ no issues.

Since the Probe/Miata motors use a positive trigger to go up and a trigger to go down- w/ the use of a standard Bosch SPDT AKA 5 wire relay - there is no need to run wires all the way inside the cabin - drop the column and take the dash apart just to attach wires to the headlight switch.

The switching is controlled by ingenious circular contact disc INSIDE the motor- stops at the plastic breaks.

Fit w/ no issues -even w/ AC

And have a way to mechanically open -if needed (red ****)

Some brackets -couple of Heim joints w/ threaded rod and a relay/headlight harness- you are there.

Harness- plugs right in- no need to modify factory stuff- then is power and ground for the motors.

Heim joint- screws right into the factory clevis- no need to take apart headlight assembly.

You can send me an email richard454 at comcast dot net and I'll be glad to send you a PDF w/ install instructions and bracket dimensions.

Here they are -

And a fellow forum member Randal-

The following 9 users liked this post by Richard454:
74_stingray (04-13-2019), henryb (02-22-2018), Illegal Vette (04-27-2016), Kubs (03-10-2017), Shannon Born (03-02-2016), SnowRocker88 (02-08-2022), storyteller (03-05-2017), Toms 80 (05-01-2016), worship79 (03-02-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
gmachinz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Detroit Speed is pricey but nice quality stuff. I installed a set of electric hideaways on a 69 Camaro awhile back-pretty fast acting to say the least! I added my delay off harness to it and tried to create a soft close feature for it.
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Born (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

You can easily slow down your headlights w/ a PWM. About $20 on eBay

Don't know why you'd want them to slow down as I can easily flash the highs just in case I wanted to warn drivers of a speed trap ahead...w/ the stock vacuum some poor guy is going to get a ticket!!

I used the PWM w/ the Ford Probe motor to "soft close" my reverse lights-

PWM-

Old 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM
7d8
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454

Don't know why you'd want them to slow down as I can easily flash the highs just in case I wanted to warn drivers of a speed trap ahead...w/ the stock vacuum some poor guy is going to get a ticket!!

PWM-

Wow! I love the license plate...... could be handy with speeding cameras ...... not that I would take advantage of that.....just sayin.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:09 PM
gmachinz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah....the Camaro kits have some powerful little motors on them-the damn headlight doors literally slam open and shut lol
Old 03-02-2016, 05:51 PM
stc315
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 2 kits on fleabay under $500. One is plug and play and the other is cut and splice.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Shannon Born
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gmachinz
Detroit Speed is pricey but nice quality stuff. I installed a set of electric hideaways on a 69 Camaro awhile back-pretty fast acting to say the least! I added my delay off harness to it and tried to create a soft close feature for it.
Detroit Speed does indeed build excellent stuff. The other $1000. kit i have mentioned is a good product as well, and what i had intended to go with until i got the email about the new one from D.S.

I do appreciate the info from Richard454, and i will look into the "retro-fit" using the mazda motors.
Unfortunately my experience doing "retro-fits" in the past have not gone near as smoothly as forums and Hot Rod magazines lead you to believe.
That being the case, i am one who will gladly pay for convenience and purpose built and engineered products to avoid headaches, hassles, extra expense, and extra down time that more often than not, goes with the home-built stuff.
But, i am certainly going to research the mazda motor kit and have Richard email me the PDF.
And again, really was not trying to "promote" any certain vendor, i was just excited about the new kit and thought some others may be interested to know about it.
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:03 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 395 Likes on 300 Posts

Just did my 71 corvette head lights per the Miata motor setup. $300 complete. DSE builds some nice stuff but they go out of their way to make it's there own so it can't be copied.

Could I suggest to DSE they could offer at a reasonable margin on a similar Miata DIY system? Say like at $500?

If I want to clean the head lights with the Miata motors I turn the motor **** until the headlight bucket is up. WOW that's worth $700.

Oh by the way Richard454's system was the ticket for the electrically challenged such as myself. His detail couldn't be clearer. Components are so available as used or new.

So now onto the wiper cover via a Miata motor. Will DSE be soon to follow?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

PWM-

That is sick! James Bond got nothing on you.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

We need a location on this forum to upload these tutorial videos, PDF's etc.. so that later down the road they will be available if for some reason the member who has them is no longer available. I want to do this mod down the road but my lights currently work and I have other issues needing attention before I do this. I hope when it comes time for me to attempt it these resources will still be available.

Get notified of new replies

To New Electric Headlamp door kit available.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:50 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Email sent, thanks heaps!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Email sent, thanks heaps!
You are welcome- emails responded too!!!

Richard
Old 04-27-2016, 03:49 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I've received many PM asking for the process I used to convert my 72 LT1 headlights into an electric. If one is to follow what Richard had recommend, it will take about 3 hours to do this MOD. This is based on if the hardware on the vacuum system are severly corroded.

Thus far, half a dozen C3 in my area have the conversion.

Quick Reply: New Electric Headlamp door kit available.