C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Starter Nose, Junk or Run With It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:30 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Broken Starter Nose, Junk or Run With It?

I removed the starter from my '69 427 and discovered that one of the mounting ears on the nose casting was broken. It's in the upper, inboard position, nearest to the flywheel. It may have been this way for a while because it looks like and old fracture.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2016, 02:51 PM
oldboat
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

if it is the original starter for your car definitely keep it. you can always get a replacement from a parts store for daily driving. original dated units are really expensive even with a small break.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:47 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
I removed the starter from my '69 427 and discovered that one of the mounting ears on the nose casting was broken. It's in the upper, inboard position, nearest to the flywheel. It may have been this way for a while because it looks like and old fracture.
Based on the break that you have, I would say that it should be fine as long as you're using the correct starter bolts with it and the other ear (for this bolt) is not cracked. If you are going to reinstall it, I would recommend you be sure that you also install the brace that attaches the back end of the starter to the block. Many of these have gone missing over the years, but I'm a firm believer that the weight of the starter validates GM's reason for installing them.

There has been a lot of discussions of the differences between Chevrolet starters on the C1/C2 and C3 Forum as of late. Suffice it to say that if your starter is the correct one for your car, you'll want to keep it. It is too easy to turn it in as a core at you local auto parts store and end up with the low-torque starter, that will physically interchange, but is not the same. The core value of a correct BB starter can run in the hundreds.

If you have a local shop that specializes in starter/generator/alternator repair, check with them. They typically stock dozens of old starter cores and very likely have a cast iron nose just like yours that they can swap on for very little. If you're not sure who to look for, check with any local heavy equipment or large truck repair facility. They'll know who to see in your area.

Somehow I broke the ear on the starter on my '73 Corvette just like yours is a while back. I went to see my local repair guy and he swapped the noses for me for $5 with one he had. I asked him if he had a new bushing for the nose and he said sure and pressed a new one in as well. Total bill was $10. I gave him a $25 tip, and you can bet I steer as much business his way as I can.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 03-05-2016, 03:55 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks Gentlemen,

GUSTO, Great suggestion regarding the rear support, which it did not have when I got the car. I guess now I'm in the market for one.

-Doug
Old 03-05-2016, 04:02 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

CrossedUp, the correct starter bolts should have the knurling on them like this bolt...

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...ting-bolt.aspx

The starter brace for your starter should look like this...

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...ter-brace.aspx

This is what the starter brace should look like installed. (This may be a SB, but it installs the same on the BB.)

A lot of good info here on this site regarding starters and installation. http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/starters.html

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 03-05-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added installation info
The following users liked this post:
CrossedUp (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 05:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

When you install the [two] starter mounting bolts, first turn them in by hand to seat them. Then, torque the one without the damage around the bolt hole. Lastly, torque the one with the damage. You should have no problem.

You can have that fixed by any decent welder who knows what he/she is doing. They will build up the damaged area so that surface is just higher than machined surface. Then they will use a grinder to grind excess surface height to same as machined surface. Finally, if needed, they will drill out any over-fill that went into the bolt hole area. But, DO NOT allow them to drill the entire hole larger; only allow the clean out of hole in the area of the over-weld.

If that was my starter and I could find a decent welder that would do the job for $25-30, I'd get it fixed. Otherwise, I would just use it as-is, but use proper sequence to torque the mounting bolts.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Starter Nose, Junk or Run With It?

Quick Reply: Broken Starter Nose, Junk or Run With It?