C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Else Before a True Road Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:40 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts
Default What Else Before a True Road Trip?

'79 L82 with about 53k on the clock and every option save the spoilers.

I'm third owner but 2nd owner died in an accident so I know little history other than he had lots and lots of toys and never finished working on this one.

After two years of my ownership, thousands of $$s in parts and lots and lots of hours I'd really like to take it on a 2,000 mile or so road trip for a couple weeks.

At least there's some room in the back of a '79 but I really don't want to pack too many tools

I have:

Replaced shocks--all suspension bushings and components seem to be in very good condition.

Replaced ALL rubber hoses save for HVAC and the cruise line that runs from the transducer to brake pedal.

Flushed cooling system--all radiator/heater hoses replaced.

New transmission filter and modulator. Drained but not fully flushed.

Differential lube replaced.

New plugs/wires/rotor/distributor cap.

New starter and ignition switch.

New or very well repaired PC sheets for the cluster and gauge pack.

Cabin wiring harness removed and improved with copper soldered across factory splices, arc-proofing around factory splices and very careful re-wrapping.

New weatherstripping throughout and windshield removed and resealed (I was able to remove the glass with my hands so that says something...). A few weeks ago was caught in a heavy rain for a 20-mile or so drive and found zero leakage into the cabin. The next day however I did see a drop of water fall from somewhere when I opened the driver door.

----------------------------------
Except for true dual exhaust, no cat and very likely a higher lift cam it is stock with every stock system working properly.

While not my daily driver I have been using it frequently for errands, short trips and run-downs. At first I couldn't drive it across town without something important breaking. For the last few months nothing breaks and things only get better as I made the above mentioned repairs.

-----------------------------------

Have I missed anything likely to crap out on a true road trip?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 PM
81corvettevortec
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't see you mention how old the battery was. But I'd say you've covered the big things for sure. I always carry a spare belt in the car, spare relays or fuses that that particular car takes, bottles of water incase I get stranded somewhere for a bit, jumper cables, bottle of brake fluid, couple liters of oil, and bottle of power steering fluid.

Make sure your gauges work properly so you'll know if something goes wrong. I just did 1600miles in my '81 a couple weeks ago and it went very smooth, aside from the 14mpg... Your car sounds better sorted if it makes you feel any better! haha

Have fun!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 417 Posts

My '79 has either 280,000 or 380,000 km. on it (not sure how many times its been around) and it leaks so bad I carry towels for the passenger in case it rains. And I take it on trips like the one you are planning every year. I also have a pocket full of stories about things that broke or went wrong. Fortunately the car has never left me stranded. I have changed the alternator, fixed leaking brake lines, repaired starter wires, fixed a broken exhaust system with baling wire, and performed a dozen other roadside repairs. Be as prepared as you can, but look at the things that go wrong as part of the adventure. And have a great trip.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,734 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Mike-

The only thing that would concern me-the rear wheel bearings. Granted only 53K- and they should last to 100K...but the grease/seals are 37 years old....

As far as tools- My 73 w/o a luggage rack has a lot less room.... I put my tools in a contractor grade garbage bag- on top of the spare tire.

I did a 3000 mile trip on the Hotrod Power tour 2014 in about a week- only had an issue w/ the wipers on high colliding.

Last summer on the Hotrod Power Tour my 73 didn't fare as well- had a con-rod bearing start making noise 900 miles from home.... nursed it back- but the last 25 miles was on a flatbed...Do you have AAA or a towing insurance?

Have Fun!!!

Richard
Old 04-28-2016, 08:18 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 81corvettevortec
Didn't see you mention how old the battery was. But I'd say you've covered the big things for sure. I always carry a spare belt in the car, spare relays or fuses that that particular car takes, bottles of water incase I get stranded somewhere for a bit, jumper cables, bottle of brake fluid, couple liters of oil, and bottle of power steering fluid.

Make sure your gauges work properly so you'll know if something goes wrong. I just did 1600miles in my '81 a couple weeks ago and it went very smooth, aside from the 14mpg... Your car sounds better sorted if it makes you feel any better! haha

Have fun!
How could I forget the new battery ? Yes, the gauges all work nicely if, as designed, mainly for "reference" instead of true accuracy. I've had enough experience at all speeds and weather to have a good reference...

I know and remember that fuel "economy" in cars of this era is truly lousy by modern standards despite the attempts at the time to improve. I'm not one to waste but neither am I one to put lots of money and effort into something that won't be used.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Check the age of the tires, over 6 years old ought to be changed, same with the spare. I carry a plug kit and cig lighter powered air compressor.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:27 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I do Hot Rod Power Tour and Long Hauler every year. Check Steering control valve for leaks and fuel lines that go to fuel pump. Fill spare tire and bring basic tools
Old 04-29-2016, 12:58 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

The only things you need to take with you are money, a good credit card, a GPS navigator unit, and the phone number of the emergency roadside service for your collector car insurance policy.

Also, you need to call your insurer and tell them that you are wanting to go on a 2000 mile trip. Since your policy limits mileage (most likely, anyway), they need to know about your trip. They may tell you to have a good time. Or, they may tell you that you will need an additional 'rider' on your policy for the trip and the time it will not be garaged overnight.

Have fun!!

Last edited by 7T1vette; 04-29-2016 at 12:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 7T1vette:
SH-60B (04-29-2016), SwampeastMike (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like the car is as ready as it might be for your travel..Small hand tools,small flashlight..spare fuses..AAA card..good cell phone..Enjoy the trip..drive safely..Jim
Old 04-29-2016, 04:49 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

I have to presume the wheel bearings are original. Front and rear tires are nice and solid and certainly pass the "no wiggle" bearing and tie rod end test.

Tires only two years old with less than 1,500 miles.

After replacing hoses, no leaks from the PS system.

I'll be replacing the fuel neck to body filler soon and will replace those little rubber fuel lines there. Just when I think I've replaced all of the hoses there are yet more

GREAT reminder about informing the insurance company! The full coverage insurance is so inexpensive I suspect they'll insist upon a rider. I have to send them photos (including of the speedo for mileage) every year.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,066 Posts

cool auto trannies are happy trannies. When my 79 L-82 was new I put on a B&M big tranny cooler and bypassed the radiator. A typical summer day for about 3 months is over 100. Southern Nevada and Arizona

My reasoning was let water cool the motor and the fluid cooler the transmission. You need help when it gets to 120 degrees.

The seals on my power steering pump would fail every couple years. So I put a big cooler on the return side and never had another pump go out.

I've driven across the US a couple of times. My longest drive was non-stop chicago to Las vegas in 27 hours alone. I was tougher when I was young and dumber.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 805 Likes on 553 Posts

It appears you've got it all under control. Just make sure your sound system works good, get some vintage songs from 1979 on your mp3 player ( or your 8track) and as said above, relax and have some fun. After all this prep work, you deserve it.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
'79 L82 with about 53k on the clock and every option save the spoilers.

I'm third owner but 2nd owner died in an accident so I know little history other than he had lots and lots of toys and never finished working on this one.

After two years of my ownership, thousands of $$s in parts and lots and lots of hours I'd really like to take it on a 2,000 mile or so road trip for a couple weeks.

At least there's some room in the back of a '79 but I really don't want to pack too many tools

I have:

Replaced shocks--all suspension bushings and components seem to be in very good condition.

Replaced ALL rubber hoses save for HVAC and the cruise line that runs from the transducer to brake pedal.

Flushed cooling system--all radiator/heater hoses replaced.

New transmission filter and modulator. Drained but not fully flushed.

Differential lube replaced.

New plugs/wires/rotor/distributor cap.

New starter and ignition switch.

New or very well repaired PC sheets for the cluster and gauge pack.

Cabin wiring harness removed and improved with copper soldered across factory splices, arc-proofing around factory splices and very careful re-wrapping.

New weatherstripping throughout and windshield removed and resealed (I was able to remove the glass with my hands so that says something...). A few weeks ago was caught in a heavy rain for a 20-mile or so drive and found zero leakage into the cabin. The next day however I did see a drop of water fall from somewhere when I opened the driver door.

----------------------------------
Except for true dual exhaust, no cat and very likely a higher lift cam it is stock with every stock system working properly.

While not my daily driver I have been using it frequently for errands, short trips and run-downs. At first I couldn't drive it across town without something important breaking. For the last few months nothing breaks and things only get better as I made the above mentioned repairs.

-----------------------------------

Have I missed anything likely to crap out on a true road trip?
It sounds like you have it covered - and, a smart question to the right experience levels here. Coincidently, I saw this article after seeing your post and thought I would link you to it here - as well as for others with the same good question with vacation seasons around the corner. Only ask that you post a couple of highlight pics of the vacation through your windshield Godspeed on your trip -
http://<span style="color:Blue"><b><.../u></b></span>

Dave

Last edited by Lakeside49; 04-29-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Good luck with your trip, sounds like fun.

It wasn't mentioned, but I carry an extra HEI ignition module in my car. They are small, and don't take up much space. I had one go on me before, so perhaps I'm a paranoid about them.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Definitely a tool pouch/roll....They don't take up much space and could get you out of a jamb. Here is mine.

Brian
Old 04-30-2016, 03:59 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

This is what I packed for my 2700 mile road trip last summer...

Luckily I didnt need anything more then a funnel to add oil and a 5/8" socket/ratchet to change plugs after I got into some bad gas.

This is on a mid 10 second car we drove cross country on vacation.

On a bone stock, well prepped car, I'd take a AAA card and cell phone.

Last edited by ajrothm; 04-30-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The Plastic Pig and I made a cross-country trip in '77. Besides clothes, camping gear, credit card, traveler's Checks (half of which were left with the Kansas Highway Patrol), and some peculiar little tires for some guy with a kid's pedal car in LA, I didn't bring any tools or spares (but for spare tire, of course).

The only trouble we had, besides the bad attitude in Kansas, and high altitude in Colorado, was brakes... Leaking calipers. We were lucky.

Get your brakes checked!!!

Last edited by Dirty Dalton; 04-30-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What Else Before a True Road Trip?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Carry new fan belts or change out your belts for the new ones but be sure to carry the old ones with you. Might throw or break a belt and with the right one right there you are good to go easily.

Get the number you will use for roadside assistance. Call the number now before you leave just to be sure it is the right one. Let them know the general area you are going and they would still be the ones to call. I know the national brands like AAA cover everything but be sure you know who you are going to call and if they will always be ready. A trial call also will make it a bit less stressful knowing someone will answer to help when you might need it in a more stressful situation, stranded. And bring your phone.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:52 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kanvasman
It appears you've got it all under control. Just make sure your sound system works good, get some vintage songs from 1979 on your mp3 player ( or your 8track) and as said above, relax and have some fun. After all this prep work, you deserve it.
It had a AM/FM/CB but I replaced it with a AM/FM/CD with input for an mp3 player. Oddly I love to listen to Turkish techno when cruising. I buy custom CDs from their DJs when I visit their country. I don't understand much of the language but GREAT beat, true rhythm, fun sound fx, excellent vocals and fine melodies that are sort of like "updated" disco instead of the utter crap that passes for music these days. I'm a partner in a show/dance club for almost 30 years now and I can hardly stand to go there anymore because of the garbage the DJs play with hardly anyone dancing. Not only can the patrons not stop messing with their phones, but I think they're afraid to dance lest someone post a video or photo that others may not "like"...
Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

THANKS TO ALL!!!!

After multiple suggestions and a bit more study it does seem that the wheel bearing need some attention.

Little problem at the front but I'm not sure about the rears... Will start a new thread as the service manual is not very helpful in this regard.

Quick Reply: What Else Before a True Road Trip?