C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filler cap will not lock in place

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:29 AM
skytop
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Oil filler cap will not lock in place

I have a small block LT1 with the original finned aluminum valve covers. The oil filler cap (with the stamped 'S') does not lock in place. After inserting it into the valve cover opening and rotating it CW, I feel a bit of resistance but then it spins further and becomes lose. The rubber gasket on the inside of the cap looks fine.

Any suggestions how to fix this so the cap locks in place? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Bandit 00C5 (08-02-2020)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
I don't see any clues as to what year your LT-! is.
70 valve covers were designed to use the twist in type of cap you describe.
71-72 LT-! valve covers were designed to use a push-in rubber oil fill cap.
Are you using the right cap for the valve cover design?
If you are, have you tried to run your finger around the inside of the oil fill opening to see if the 'ramp' that acts as a stop is intact?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-24-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 PM
skytop
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi s,
I don't see any clues as to what year your LT-! is.
70 valve covers were designed to use the twist in type of cap you describe.
71-72 LT-! valve covers were designed to use a push-in rubber oil fill cap.
Are you using the right cap for the valve cover design?
If you are, have you tried to run your finger around the inside of the oil fill opening to see if the 'ramp' that acts as a stop is intact?
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan: It is a 1970 LT1. I believe the correct cap is on the car. .=
I just checked the inside of the oil fill opening and found it to be totally flat. There is only a uniform 'collar' along the inside of the perimeter of the opening. There is no ramp, all uniform height.

The picutre below are NOT my valve covers but a photo off the internet. This is how my valve cover opening 'collar' feels. Mine does have the short raised bump up on the ends of the collar as in the photo example. Perhaps you have a suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited by skytop; 05-24-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi S,
Is it possible that the raised 'stop' at the end of one or both of the ramps are worn down so the flanges on the cap ride right past them as you turn and the cap is then able to slip out?
If you turn the cap just the length of the ramp (by guessing how much that is!) does the cap feel tight enough to stay in place?
Are the 2 'flanges on the cap bent the 'wrong' way even a little? Could they be bent some so they're tighter against the ramp when you insert it in the hole and first begin to turn it?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-24-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:20 PM
skytop
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi S,
Is it possible that the raised 'stop' at the end of one or both of the ramps are worn down so the flanges on the cap ride right past them as you turn and the cap is then able to slip out?
If you turn the cap just the length of the ramp (by guessing how much that is!) does the cap feel tight enough to stay in place?
Are the 2 'flanges on the cap bent the 'wrong' way even a little? Could they be bent some so they're tighter against the ramp when you insert it in the hole and first begin to turn it?
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan: By touch, I can feel the raised bumps (stops). They feel smooth and I believe they are not distorted. The cap I have has normal uniform tabs. I can not see any distortion or bending on them at all. Both sides appear identical. The rubber gasket is intact but feel quite thin. Maybe it should be thicker to help secure it to the 2 perimeter bumps?

Today, I ordered a replacement 'original' oil cap ('S' stamp) which I should receive in a few days. I am hoping that the new cap will lock in place. This is a very peculiar problem. However, maintaining a proper oil cap seal is absolutely vital. Thanks again.

Last edited by skytop; 05-24-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:48 PM
skytop
Advanced

Received the new oil filler cap ($16.). In spite of it appearing to be identical to the original cap, the new one fits tight as it should.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi S,
Well, that's good to hear!
I'm not sure just how accurate the reproduction caps are, so you might want to still hang on to the one giving you trouble in case it's the original.
It's configuration might mean something to someone someday.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Oil filler cap will not lock in place

Quick Reply: Oil filler cap will not lock in place