C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:49 AM
Tanner Overson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine Build

Hey everyone I'm new here and my knowledge on engines is quite limited so no rude comment or anything. I have a 1979 vette and it has the L82 engine. I want to build a engine and swap it. I am looking at building a 383 or a 454 from ATK performance engines. any tips or suggestions? I want to get around 450HP. I would get a short block and build the rest of it. what are your suggestions for an aggressive engine performance and sound. Thanks!!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:08 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

So are you looking at building an engine or buy a crate? Not being a smart a$$, but the 383 and 454 from atk are probably crate engines although I'm sure they'd sell short blocks or parts for that matter. Crate is a good way to go but I get more satisfaction doing it myself. Now then a 383" is a small block and the 454" is a bigblock your L82 is a small block as well and it would be easier to swap small blocks, but the 454 would probably make your grin bigger. Let's start with a few questions:
1)what transmission?
2)what's your budget?
3)what's the majority of your intended use?
4) what rear gears do you have? ( most engines that build decent power have larger camshafts and lower gears enhance the driving experience a lot when matched with the rest of the combo, same goes with a torque converter when you have an automatic transmission as it needs to match the camshaft and rpm range)
5) are you mechanically inclined and do you own tools?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:34 PM
Tanner Overson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
I have the
TH350 transmission
$5000-$6000
weekend driver and some strip
I'm not sure what my gear setup is. how can I find out?
I am still new to working on engines but I want to learn more and how to build. there is a shop near me where I can use their lift and all their tools for $5 a hour.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:12 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tanner Overson
Thanks for the reply.
I have the
TH350 transmission
$5000-$6000
weekend driver and some strip
I'm not sure what my gear setup is. how can I find out?
I am still new to working on engines but I want to learn more and how to build. there is a shop near me where I can use their lift and all their tools for $5 a hour.
If you jack the rear of the car up and spin the tire with the car in neutral you can have some one count the number of revolutions that the drive shaft makes for one revolution of the rear tire. Part of you budget should account for a quality stall converter that matches the engine you pick. I've had no dealings with atk and haven't researched them so that should be something you do before buying an engine from any shop. Other members might have insight into them. Cnc-motorsports.com I've done business with and they are an A+ company to do business with, Mark Jones at vortecperformance.com I've not done business with, but a lot of forum members hear and team chevelle have and I can't find anything bad about him on the net, plus bang for the buck mark has the best prices going with good quality that meets the buyers power goals. If you go with a big block there will extra costs incurred with the swap, but you can spend 6k on a bigblock that is mild and will exceed your goals. The small block you should be able to surpass your goals for 6k, but either way you need headers and duals. The swap from small block to small block isn't that tough and a good way to get familiar with your vette. If you talk to vender and find an engine post what you find hear, look for a roller cam, 4 bolt mains, forged internals, and decent aluminum heads. The zz 383 isn't a bad way to go.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:33 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Go big , put a 632 bbc in her that idles well uses 91 octane gas and has 850 hp .. LMAO .
Old 06-18-2016, 12:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

5-6 do the 383
Otherwise youll need to upgrade exhaust brackets cooling system etc cost will spiral quick. 450 is real easy to get with a 383 and still be driveable without winding it up to the moon (or your wallet)
Old 06-18-2016, 12:52 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by diehrd
Go big , put a 632 bbc in her that idles well uses 91 octane gas and has 850 hp .. LMAO .
I like your style. lol.
The following users liked this post:
diehrd (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 02:52 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

1979 with an automatic should have a 3.55 gear, which is good for performance.

Will
Old 06-18-2016, 05:05 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanner Overson
Hey everyone I'm new here and my knowledge on engines is quite limited so no rude comment or anything. I have a 1979 vette and it has the L82 engine. I want to build a engine and swap it. I am looking at building a 383 or a 454 from ATK performance engines. any tips or suggestions? I want to get around 450HP. I would get a short block and build the rest of it. what are your suggestions for an aggressive engine performance and sound. Thanks!!
Tanner- do you have a good mechanic to look over your shoulder as you are doing the engine work? I've rebuilt about 20 engines over the years, but no way do I consider myself an expert, since I do not do it every day and there is a learning curve if you are not at it every day. A small mistake on an internal component will ruin your work and cost you $$$. Is there a Vo-Tech school near you that has a mechanics class you could take? Many of them use an engine re-build as a class project. Anyway, my $0.02. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:12 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
1979 with an automatic should have a 3.55 gear, which is good for performance.

Will
My 1976 with an automatic came 3:08 from the factory I don't know if the L82 came with 3:55 I seem to remeber 3.36 but have no proff plus if the ever been changed.

Get notified of new replies

To New Engine Build

Quick Reply: New Engine Build