C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 pulled over for roadside inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 PM
kcochran
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 pulled over for roadside inspection

I got pulled over during one my my last drives of the year, asked to inspect the car. Cops took the plates and left a lovely $300 fine, had to get towed home.

Car is missing EGR, AIR pump and cataltyic converters

1) need the pump, which for some reason never comes with the pulley? I need some valve behind it as well, haven't been able to really tell from ecklers / willcox etc what all that is.

2) EGR valve + gasket. EGR thermostat to bolt into the intake.

3) need to get the long tube headers welded with an EGR port as well presumably

4) high flow cats x2. Do I get something with the air port built in, or get the exhaust shop to just weld in a tube?

I've found locally an 94 LT1 engine for a couple hundred dollars, has all the accessories. Wondering if it may be better in the long run to just upgrade instead of spending hundreds to thousands making this engine not really better. There are some gold flakes in the oil that I'm hoping are the distributer but not sure.

If I upgrade I still need all the exhaust work done to pass, but basically get a free engine to go with the smog pump / EGR setup. Thoughts? Am I missing a step?

Anyone in the Ontario area have a smog setup to sell?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:17 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

wow busting your nuts on a 1980 for smog equipment,
the officer probable was not even born then,
how would he know what equipment should be on the car.
Glad I do not live in Ontario ! ... roadside Inspection ! ?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Unless it's a requirement to get plates again, just read he took plates, what a turd he was... Why bother what are the odds of getting another roadside inspection. Personally I'd get 2 junk Cats and rig up the rest so looks working if I was worried about another roadside. No way in hell to check actual operation without a shop and a sniffer.

Last edited by Rodnok1; 09-21-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Ydnar44
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, almost surreal, I thought Illinois sucked,. Here in about 3 weeks I got about 10 qts of Mobil one I'm going to use to burn off a bunch of leaves right along the street.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:25 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by kcochran
1) need the pump, which for some reason never comes with the pulley? I need some valve behind it as well, haven't been able to really tell from ecklers / willcox etc what all that is.
This is from an 82. I got it with my car (un attached) and I have no idea if it works or not. Hit me up on PM.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2016, 11:45 PM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

"some valve behind it". First thing I thought of was Diverter Valve", then possibly a check valve . Someone more knowledgeable about what was originally in there needs to chime in, because this could be adding more parts to make other parts fit.
94 engine, you will still need computer, wiring, possibly recalibrate it, the sensors, everything to make it pass smog too, I assume.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

You might check with the Vehicle inspection about just what they are going to inspect. Adding any old air pump and a pair of Cats might not cut it. They are probably more interested in the OEM equipment the car came from the factory. 80's only had one Cat. Are they going to sniff test the car and start checking serial numbers ? These are things to find out a head of time.
Another approach would be to license the Car somewhere that there are no emissions. Are emissions required everywhere in your province ? Look for areas that are far far away from an emissions test facility. Islands that require a Ferry fall into this category. Its been a long long time since I herd of anybody having to do all this.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The first thing I would be doing is checking into what the actual laws were for this sort of thing. Also, finding out whether any person is given the authority to do what this guy did to you.

Do you folks up North not have some requirement for "probable cause" before a stop is made? Does driving a specific kind of car comply with probable cause? I would be researching the heck out of "what gives?" before I did anything else...including paying the fine.

Sounds more like the "Green Gestapo" to me....

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-22-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:23 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It seems the police are doing a blitz on anything they can make money off of. They're also currently going after private use trucks towing trailers because they still need to be yearly safety inspected.

94 isn't a great year of LT1 because it has the atmosphere vented Optispark. But otherwise if you only drive on nice days (like I suspect you do) then overall it's a good engine. But, I don't believe the B or F body accessory drives will fit in a C3. I'm also not sure if the exhaust would fit the C3 chassis so you could use the stock EGR pipe. I can help you out with reflashing it or the wiring if you do decide to go with the LT1. Does it have a 4L60e with it?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:15 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have to play cat and mouse with these insane checks on a 36 year old car. F'ing idiots, taking an old Vette off the road will do nothing other than making the owner pizzed right off, it will have zero effect on anything else.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:36 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kcochran
I got pulled over during one my my last drives of the year, asked to inspect the car. Cops took the plates and left a lovely $300 fine, had to get towed home.

Car is missing EGR, AIR pump and cataltyic converters

2) EGR valve + gasket. EGR thermostat to bolt into the intake.

3) need to get the long tube headers welded with an EGR port as well presumably

4) high flow cats x2. Do I get something with the air port built in, or get the exhaust shop to just weld in a tube?

I've found locally an 94 LT1 engine for a couple hundred dollars, has all the accessories. Wondering if it may be better in the long run to just upgrade instead of spending hundreds to thousands making this engine not really better. There are some gold flakes in the oil that I'm hoping are the distributer but not sure.

If I upgrade I still need all the exhaust work done to pass, but basically get a free engine to go with the smog pump / EGR setup. Thoughts? Am I missing a step?

Anyone in the Ontario area have a smog setup to sell?
A few questions first..

I'm not familiar with Canada's laws, nor spec Ontario-Toronto..BUT..
How was the car tagged..and how long ago? Did it have to pass the environmental tests to be tagged?.DID YOU remove the one catalytic converter and headers etc..after the car passed and was tagged-registered?
Were you stopped for any other traffic or equipment violations that predicated the roadside examination of the car's equipment?
Does Ontario have any provisions fot licensing vehicles as classic, exempt limited use as a collector car.?
Canyou take this matter before a magistrate or court to ascertain IF the stop, fine and seizing of the tags was legal..?
I live outside Portland Oregon..and OREGON metro has about as stringent laws as anywhere in the country concerning veh emissions..My '78 has no cat on it, dual exhausts/perf headers.
My '78 is over 25 years old and so I got SP plates which do not require environmental testing..They never have to be renewed so long as we own the car..With such SP tags, one cannot drive over 2500 miles per year..but at our age..that's not an issue..

Before you do much else..including pay the fine ..DO check on the laws in your city and province concerning your '80 vette( now 36 years old) and determine what the law says and what it can do......Jim

Last edited by jim in oregon; 09-22-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Do you ever have to take it in for tailpipe testing?

LT1 uses 1 smog tube coming off 1 primary to pump simple
To do a whole swap is kinda complicated auto pts stores used to sell universal kits for this I got nailed 20 yrs ago with a big block blazer engine swap. BS...were the taxpayers.

Does it have to function (doesnt in ca up to 75) or just physically be there?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I get you want to use the LT1 smog equipment but it won't fit. You need the pump brackets and hoses. You could post in parts wanted for the correct smog gear Plenty of people have left over parts free. I'd negotiate with Bill for his parts. Shipping and crossing the border will be expensive.

For the Yanks, Canada doesn't have a bill if rights. The 4th Amendment has no meaning to the mounties.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:26 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

you'd be money ahead and just keep paying the fine every year...the LT1 is not worth swapping. as said, you'd need computer, wiring, sensors, fuel pump, custom exhaust, transmission, reprogramming to get rid of vats, srs, anti-lock brakes, and on and on...

hell for $5k you could just buy a nice C4 and drive that...

does your setup have to pass emissions out the pipe or just have the equipment? there are lots of used junk from older cars out there you could put on and make "work" without buying new, or period correct, etc. you could even put a stock exhaust back on and just take it back off to put the headers back on once you got the plates back.

someone should do a loaner program for folks like this...pass around the same parts and forward to the next guy when he needs them
Old 09-22-2016, 03:11 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I live in Toronto and 5 years ago I was pulled over by the coppers after doing a burnout past a donut shop where two cops were doing what they do best.

One came after me and I pulled into a gas station. The cop asked if my horn and parking brake worked and I was busted. Next thing, within a few minutes 2 more police cars came and 2 guys from the Environment police came.

All total there were 5 cars there and 6 officers all around me. The Enviroment guys knew there stuff and found a boatload of parts missing or not working.

I said look how many officers were tied up with a middle aged man and his hobby car, unbelievable.

The cops wanted the car towed but the more reasonable environment guy said it's such a nice car he would let me drive it home, with only written warnings about what I had to fix.

So I fixed some of things and I went to the MOT and got a Historic plate and haven't been pulled over since but just drive duriing the day and not at night.

Not sure if the Historic plate has helped me since the same rules regarding normal cars regarding cats and other emmission stuff. But it could be they don't fully understand the laws regarding Historic plates or they see the plates and figure I must have everything working in order to get them.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:18 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Makes me fell good about living in Florida..no vehicle inspection.

If I remember correctly my '70 didn't come with emissions parts from the factory.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:19 PM
kcochran
Cruising

yeah so no need for a sniffer, just need to send in photos. Took the plates at the side of the road, had to tow home, and can get the plates back after emailing the officer proof of repair.

The law here is visual inspection, but it isn't completely unheard of to have to sniff test the car, apparently they have portable equipment to do so.

Can argue the ticket in court...but the parts aren't there. Laws don't care if you did it, if you know or what, just a black and white does the car pass? May have been worth arguing over his right to inspect, but I was raised to respect cops unfortunately. That may change.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 pulled over for roadside inspection

Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM
kcochran
Cruising

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It seems the police are doing a blitz on anything they can make money off of. They're also currently going after private use trucks towing trailers because they still need to be yearly safety inspected.

94 isn't a great year of LT1 because it has the atmosphere vented Optispark. But otherwise if you only drive on nice days (like I suspect you do) then overall it's a good engine. But, I don't believe the B or F body accessory drives will fit in a C3. I'm also not sure if the exhaust would fit the C3 chassis so you could use the stock EGR pipe. I can help you out with reflashing it or the wiring if you do decide to go with the LT1. Does it have a 4L60e with it?
It's from a caprise with no trans so likely not the best deal for what I'm looking for. It's just tempting to go more modern since the plan was new trans and heads next year until I found brass in the oil. Now that this has come up I'm tempted to keep hunting and rip out the whole mess and start over. LS is too ambitious so this seemed a logical half step
Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 PM
kcochran
Cruising

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I live in Toronto and 5 years ago I was pulled over by the coppers after doing a burnout past a donut shop where two cops were doing what they do best.

One came after me and I pulled into a gas station. The cop asked if my horn and parking brake worked and I was busted. Next thing, within a few minutes 2 more police cars came and 2 guys from the Environment police came.

All total there were 5 cars there and 6 officers all around me. The Enviroment guys knew there stuff and found a boatload of parts missing or not working.

I said look how many officers were tied up with a middle aged man and his hobby car, unbelievable.

The cops wanted the car towed but the more reasonable environment guy said it's such a nice car he would let me drive it home, with only written warnings about what I had to fix.

So I fixed some of things and I went to the MOT and got a Historic plate and haven't been pulled over since but just drive duriing the day and not at night.

Not sure if the Historic plate has helped me since the same rules regarding normal cars regarding cats and other emmission stuff. But it could be they don't fully understand the laws regarding Historic plates or they see the plates and figure I must have everything working in order to get them.

yeah this guy knew his stuff. He thought the lines for the cruise control were a part of the charcoal canister system, but knew exactly what to look for in terms of the air pump and EGR. I'm surprised he made a big deal about the chrome oil cap in the valve cover. Didn't know that was a big deal.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I got pulled over in Wasaga 4 or 5 yrs ago. I found out that breathers are not legal in Ontario so he told me to replace it with a hose to the base. I have a copy of the emissions sheet from the AIM in the car at all times just in case. I did get ticked when he yanked on the hoses to and from the charcoal cannister and pulled them off, then proceeded to tell me that I didn't have a cc. Like Motorhead, there must have been 5 police/Ministry of Environment cars with lights flashing and sirens going off. My wife and I thought that there must have been a serious accident or crime happen until we realized they were all there to welcome us to their town.

Quick Reply: 1980 pulled over for roadside inspection