C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack in block

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:53 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I have done several things so far. I took the engine off that POS stand and built my own. Not on wheels but I don't expect it to be there to much longer. This new stand is suitable for moving with a fork truck. Even put extra crossmembers under the oil pan so that no one can dent it with forks. Monday I'm loading onto a van and taking it to a professional welding shop. I showed him the same pictures and he did not think it would be a problem to fix. His shop was repairing a cast iron pump housing while I was there. Does cast iron all the time. Interesting - he asked me what it was for and I told him a 78 Corvette. Turns out he has a '55 and currently doing a frame off rebuild on a '66.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:19 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
That crack can and should be brazed. Someone in the welding business should be able to bring equipment to you and do the job there. JB Weld or other epoxies MIGHT seal it up; then again, it might not. Brazing it will seal the joint AND make that area stronger than it was.

Just do it.
Brazing on a casting the size of an engine block can be challenging. The metal needs to be cooled at a constant rate, like in an oven. I've had exhaust manifolds brazed and the welder used the oven for hours in his wife's kitchen. That cost extra to keep the wife happy.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

TIG with a high nickle rod, preheat and post heat-done. E-Z. I keep a few rods in the shop for such repairs, they cost about $9 ea.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:31 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz
Thanks for all the responses. I have done several things so far. I took the engine off that POS stand and built my own. Not on wheels but I don't expect it to be there to much longer. This new stand is suitable for moving with a fork truck. Even put extra crossmembers under the oil pan so that no one can dent it with forks. Monday I'm loading onto a van and taking it to a professional welding shop. I showed him the same pictures and he did not think it would be a problem to fix. His shop was repairing a cast iron pump housing while I was there. Does cast iron all the time. Interesting - he asked me what it was for and I told him a 78 Corvette. Turns out he has a '55 and currently doing a frame off rebuild on a '66.
A welder who is also a corvette guy, it sounds like you found the right shop. Good luck with the repair.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Interesting this thread is going. My machine shop found a small crack in the starter bolt ear on my SBC. It's there being welded right now.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:15 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Bing bing bing

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
TIG with a high nickle rod, preheat and post heat-done. E-Z. I keep a few rods in the shop for such repairs, they cost about $9 ea.
YUP. That is exactly the way to do it.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Picked up my block yesterday, charged $80 for the weld.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:13 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Weld it and forget it. We heat that sucker up red with a torch Then hit it inside and out with that (I forgot what brand it is) cast iron rod. Low nickel.
Want it to be malleable. Don't worry. It cracked in a really low priority area. There is no oil pressure there. Splash at the most. Seem all SBC fuel pumps leak oil here.......
No worry's love..................

Quick Reply: Crack in block