C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Adjustment Woes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 09:35 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Valve Adjustment Woes!

I am running a sub .500 lift cam, anti-pump lifters, .100 over moly push rods, Comp 1.5 & 1.6 roller tip rockers, and posi lock rocker nuts. This darn valve train just keeps making noise like an old washing machine. I've gone from zero lash to 1/8 turn tight and it still clacks and clicks. One valve is especially clacking that I can't identify, even with a stethescope. Should I be loosening the nut, and letting the lifters drain down for a period of time before adjusting? Any and all advise is always welcome. Thanks...
Eddie
Old 10-09-2002, 09:59 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Woes! (Silvr77)

I have never had problems with Hydraulic lifters making a ton of noise and or being hard to adjust. I have always adjusted them with the engine cold and not runnng or have always followed the manufacturers adjustment recommendations and never had a problem. The hydraulic roller cam that I run in my 68 Rally Sport makes a little more noise than regualr flat tappet hydraulic cam's that I have ran before but once I set the lash on it I have never had to touch it again and that was over 8 years ago. Are you using screw in or pressed in rocker arm studs? I have heard of people having problems with pressed in rocker arm studs slowly lifting out and throwing off lash. Are you sure that maybe the Anti-pump lifters might not just be a little noisier? I knew a guy that ran some Rhodes lifters a number of years ago and they made a little more noise that a regular hydraulic lifter. I would check with the manufactures and see what they say and follow there adjustment and lash settings.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:12 AM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Woes! (James)

i had the same problem. did it by the book and they made noise. My buddy came over and put it on top dead center and ajusted 1/2 of the lifters and then went 180 out and adjusted the others. fired her up and eveything sound fine. i will talk to him and find out what ones to adjust when. i will get back to you.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:42 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anti pump-up lifters are run at zero lash. No preload. It will sound like much solids. Have you been running with preload? I ran anti pump-ups in the past and was unaware that they were supposed to be run with zero lash. After years of running them like that, they began to make noise regardless of how much preload I used. The preload damaged the internal valving of the lifters. Try running a thicker oil (maybe 20-50 or SAE40) and see what happens. If they quiet down a bit, it should proove that they are now bleading down too quickly.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Woes! (James)

Thanks for all the input guys. James: I am using ARP screw in rocker studs torqued to spec. This loud ticking is driving me nuts. One guy asked me if i was running solids!! :eek: My valves were adjusted almost noise free, till the dyno tune guy took it upon himself to check lash. Since he screwed them up... I've had a heck of a time trying to correct it. Won't take it back to him cause obviously he doesn't know how!!! I'll try again (for the fourth time)
P.S. Love those posi locks. I can set lash with just my finger tips. I get a better feel for it that way!! Thanks again guys......
Eddie
Old 10-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to check is for an exhaust leak. They can sound exactly like a lifter/rocker ticking. I used a 2 foot section of vac hose up to the ear to detect where my ticking was coming from. I just happen to pass it by the manifold, was using the stock man at the time, and heard the ticking much louder than anywhere else. I had crushed the gasket and it was leaking. Replaced the gasket and the ticking went away. I like to adj my rockers with the eng running.

[Modified by Fevre, 10:06 AM 10/9/2002]
Old 10-09-2002, 12:18 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Woes! (Fevre)

I have to replace the gaskets on my headers as they are leaking, also have a pin hole in the weld at the collector that i have to plug, didn't notice the hole when I bouht them in July.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:10 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Woes! (gdh)

One guy asked me if i was running solids!!
THAT WAS ME <---------- :eek: ME ME ME ME ME !!!!

:lol:

his exhaust was fine....no leak....or he would have killed us in that garage ! :eek:

stick with it Ed, you'll get it ......

if out of your mind this weekend, come on up for some Beer and J'ville' Brats on me ! you got my digits..... I'll have the better half cooks some great treats !

:cheers:

[Modified by ylose, 10:11 AM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-16-2002, 12:26 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a sub .500 lift cam, anti-pump lifters, .100 over moly push rods, Comp 1.5 & 1.6 roller tip rockers, and posi lock rocker nuts. This darn valve train just keeps making noise like an old washing machine. I've gone from zero lash to 1/8 turn tight and it still clacks and clicks. One valve is especially clacking that I can't identify, even with a stethescope. Should I be loosening the nut, and letting the lifters drain down for a period of time before adjusting? Any and all advise is always welcome. Thanks...
Eddie
Why are you running with.100 over push rods..? :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Adjustment Woes!

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment Woes!