C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 12:41 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt!

I'm getting ready to stick the ZZ4 in the car, and I was trying to decide if I wanted to pull the stock balancer and use the Fluidampr Streetdampr I purchased last year.
I knew that some of the newer GM engines had pressed on balancers, but I never thought that the ZZ4 would. Externally it is a near duplicate of my old 69, so I figured the balancer would have a bolt in the end of it. I guess you learn something everyday.

[Modified by Smokehouse69, 10:42 PM 10/19/2002]
Old 10-20-2002, 01:17 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt! (Smokehouse69)

Uh, it should have.

No 350 Chevy motor should be without a bolt at the end of the crank to hold the balancer on. They are all a "press fit", but do require a bolt to hold the works together.

[Modified by BSeery, 10:18 PM 10/19/2002]
Old 10-20-2002, 01:40 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Smokehouse:
We occasionally run a ZZ4 in a circle track truck ... never noticed "no balancer bolt!" I'm gonna check ours. Most tracks require a 2-barrel (max 500 cfm) but a few allow a ZZ4 w/ small (max 390 cfm) 4-barrel ... our in-house 2-barrel 355's w/ iron (not vortec) GM heads are typically stronger than small 4-barrel ZZ4. But the ZZ4 combo is best on a couple around here. Although not routinely run, ours is a great motor, never been apart and has consistantly seen 6800 rpm. No probs w/ ZZ4's stock rubber balancer ... hasn't slipped. IMO, I'd keep the stock balancer unless you just like the look of a fluid damper. IMHO, fluid may be better for short bursts of max rpm like at drags, but rubber is better for extended runs of varying rpm. If you'd like a really trick, super duty rubber one ... check bhj
http://www.bhjinc.com/dampers/bhj_dynamics.html

bhj also has hi-grade specialized automotive tooling & other stuff at
www.bhjinc.com ... 100% USA made

BTW, most balancers are pressed-on ... but most also have a center-bolt. Many very early sbc were also press-on ... BUT they had NO center-bolt or hole at all! I can't remember em all ... there were/are other makes & models with no center-bolt as well.

For now, if yours has a threaded hole I'd put in a bolt. Does your ZZ4 crank's snout have a threaded hole?

[Modified by jackson, 12:47 AM 10/20/2002]

[Modified by jackson, 12:48 AM 10/20/2002]
Old 10-20-2002, 02:07 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Mine did not have a bolt either. When I pulled my balancer I only noticed a little RTV on the key to hold it in. Just so you know when you put a streetdampnr on it is smaller by almost an inch so the timing guide needs to be changed, or if you are like me I just get a square stick and run it down to the balancer so I can read timing accuratly. Just a reminder the zz4 comes from the factory with 0 timing so make sure to change it.

Mark B.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:36 AM
89formula
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The snouts are threaded like any other sbc but most crate motors don't come with the balancer bolt. But that doesn't mean you don't need one!!! :smash:
Old 10-20-2002, 03:47 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt! (89formula)

run it hard for a couple days and then get back to us and let us know how things turn out :D
Old 10-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Steve, is the crank threaded for a bolt?

The 350 in my Vette is dated for a '69 block and there is NO crank bolt either. I don't know if Bubba busted it off or the crank was bolt-less from the get-go.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:03 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt! (1970 Stingray)

The bolt in the end of the crank isn't the only difference between a threaded and a non threaded crank. The non-threaded (talking older ones in the 50's and 60's here) crank snout is tapered, as is the balancer. The threaded ones are just a straight snout, pressed fit. It is my opinion that when installing the tapered non bolt on version of the balancer that you have a hole drilled and tapped to add a damper bolt, make sure the motor is cold (like freezer, winter cold), boil the damper for 20 minutes, then install it quick with the bolt to make sure it gets all the way on the tapered shaft.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt! (Dalannex)

Okay, guys you convinced me. It is easy enough to install my old bolt and washer, I think I trust it more than one from the "Help" rack at an autoparts store. Does anyone have an idea of what it should be torqued to?
Old 10-21-2002, 01:05 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

sbc = 7/16"-20 rht ... BBC = 1/2"-20 rht. Might wanna chase the threads first. With a proper press-fit, center-bolt is little more than insurance. Better to have than have not. W/ a bit of lite loctite or paint, 60 ft lb will be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt!

Quick Reply: Surprised! ZZ4 has no balancer bolt!