C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Astro Ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:03 AM
marinfarms
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Brcmpbl;1591649419]Depends what you want, really.

If you want the car to appear as it did from the factory, get the Astro script on the glass. All cars did have the script in 1974, you're correct.

If I was replacing the door glass on my 1970 with AC, I would get the glass with the Astro script, but I like that kind of thing.QUOTe
Yes, I agree. I like to keep it as original as possible. I think I found the answer I was looking for.

Thank you
Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mf,
If you're interested in maintaining your car's 'originality' you might also want to consider buying a side window that has a date code on it too.
Originally all the glass in a car was date coded using a 2 letter code indicating when the glass was produced.
Some of the glass suppliers offer this service.
The code is part of the glass manufacturer's logo and other information that was etched into the glass when it was made.
It's a VERY small detail both literally and figuratively but one you should at least be aware of before you purchase the glass.
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
marinfarms (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM
marinfarms
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi mf,
If you're interested in maintaining your car's 'originality' you might also want to consider buying a side window that has a date code on it too.
Originally all the glass in a car was date coded using a 2 letter code indicating when the glass was produced.
Some of the glass suppliers offer this service.
The code is part of the glass manufacturer's logo and other information that was etched into the glass when it was made.
It's a VERY small detail both literally and figuratively but one you should at least be aware of before you purchase the glass.
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan,

I did find that at some of the manufactures. My car is going in for paint on 3/1 so I'm going to have the window sent to them for install.
Almost done with my restoration. I just have some little details left.
Your information was very helpful, thanks.

Virgil
Old 02-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Virgil,
We're going to see some pictures after a bit…. right?
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-27-2016, 07:35 PM
marinfarms
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Virgil,
We're going to see some pictures after a bit…. right?
Regards,
Alan
I won't get the car back for about a month and a half, then I will send some pics as soon as I can. I only usually drive once a week. I'm disabled and so it might take me a bit. This is my only car, I figured I might as well enjoy myself on the way to see the doc.

Virgil
Old 02-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Luce
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a non A/C car I'm adding A/C to. I see the little tube that goes to the back for the Astro Vent actuators. Can anyone tell me if vacuum opens them or closes them? I'm wondering if I need to supply vacuum to them (to keep them closed) or just leave the tube open.

In other words, with the tube to the actuator disconnected, are the doors open or closed?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi L,
The 2 doors at the rear are open all the time, even with a system that's not working.
Moving the right side heater/defroster thumb wheel from C to H supplies vacuum to close the doors.
A/C cars have a metal block-off plate in place of the doors and their operating mechanism. Perhaps you'd want to find one of those and use it as it was used on original a/c cars.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-29-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Luce
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks.

I was thinking more hooking it to engine vacuum through a solenoid so it was open when the A/C was off, but closed when the engine was on and A/C was on. Assuming my actuators are still functional, you've saved me another act of contortion.

Quick Reply: Astro Ventilation