Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Yeller81USNRet
CF Senior Member

Default Dual Exhaust

Just got this article out of Corvette Chevy Trader March 2004:::
All engines will perform better if they can breathe better, but in the real world your Corvette will gain little or no additional performance from a genuine dual exhaust system. In general, engines with radical camshaft profiles and other super high performance characteristics will benefit from a larger exhaust system far more than more mundane engines. Some of the outrageous engines from the 1960s, such as the L88, or a custom racing spec engine, really do need true dual exhaust, but your 1980 does not and you will feel no difference between that and a high quality, low restriction system that feeds into a single catalytic converter...

Now do you all think this is a True Statement ????
:steering:
Yeller81USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
Avette4me
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Avette4me
Default Re: Dual Exhaust (Yeller81USNRet)

It's their story, they can tell it however they want...However, I disagree. Might be in my own mind, but when I got rid of the cat and went true dual, I experienced a noticable difference...
Avette4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
Master Ho
CF Senior Member

I'd ask them to define "high quality, low restriction system that feeds into a single catalytic converter..." If it's the OEM setup for the '81, I'd say they're smoking something, because the OEM pipes aren't mandrel bent.

Master Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #4
Crash80
CF Senior Member

I just had my 2-1-2 system on my '80 converted for a grand total of $80.00 bucks and I can't really tell a huge difference other than it sounds a ton better. It actually sounds like I have Flowmasters on my car where as before my Flowmasters were a bit more subdued sounding. Of course, I don't get on my car to often. It is 24 years old in May and I am trying to make the parts on it last as long as I can. The one thing I did notice is that it does not seem to slow down as fast when I get off the gas, like there is not as much backpressure to cause engine braking. The sound difference alone was worth the $80 bones it cost to do the pipes.

Crash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
Pauld
CF Senior Member

Well , all I can say is that when I installed true duals on my '81, I noticed a significant difference and it sounded a whole lot better. I think that this is a must mod for anyone that has a 2-1-2 system. Only my $0.02 worth
Pauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Ganey
CF Senior Member

See Why Exhaust is problem for HP on 75-81
Many refer to it as my Exhaust topic. http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm

Later cars like a 86-88 SS Monte Carlo have a large oval into & out of the cat. which would help those retaining the basic stock type setup.

The topic above was written for guys that want to seriously increase power. The first thing one would do w/ a L-88 is headers & better exhaust.

:cool:
Ganey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
mvftw
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Dual Exhaust (Pauld)

Same here, took off the 2-1-2 and put on true duals, no heat riser, H-pipe & flowmaster 50's :D
mvftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Dual Exhaust

Whoever wrote that article obviously spent too long standing in the smoke. :rolleyes: Engines that breath better make more power. I think they should have said that heads and cam make more results than true duals, but any one of the three help.

-Justin

[Modified by Dalannex, 11:16 AM 2/26/2004]
Dalannex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
marshrat99
CF Senior Member

Ditched mine and went with true duals. Mine are chambered w/o H or X pipe. I'm thinking about converting to the H or X to mellow out the sound a little. Anyway, for me sounding fast is almost equally important to running fast. :cheers:
marshrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Dual Exhaust (Dalannex)

I think when you think about all the mods we do that increase power by 1-5hp...when you look at exhaust...the price to benefit ratio is unbelievable...even if it's nowhere as good as everyone says...
my true dual exhaust cost:
hedman headers $450
pipes (installed) $100
you just can't beat that!
6318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #11
Fang S-289
CF Senior Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fang S-289 Send a message via AIM to Fang S-289
Default Re: Dual Exhaust (Ganey)

Quote:
See Why Exhaust is problem for HP on 75-81
Many refer to it as my Exhaust topic. http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm

Later cars like a 86-88 SS Monte Carlo have a large oval into & out of the cat. which would help those retaining the basic stock type setup.

The topic above was written for guys that want to seriously increase power. The first thing one would do w/ a L-88 is headers & better exhaust.

I couldn't agree more. I installed the chambered MAD duels on my 76 and although I don't have dino numbers, I have no doubt there was a noticable improvement (SOP) which I attribute mostly to the removal of the cat, and secondly to the duals.

:cool:

[Modified by Fang S-289, 6:05 PM 2/26/2004]
Fang S-289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:04 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Dual Exhaust