C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjust the front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How to adjust the front wheel bearings

I have been asked a number of times how to adjust the front wheel bearings. This is NOT my method but one that I like and I follow it. I have tested the results and agree with it.
This is from the Article BigBlock from Hell. I am copying it.

Our lip seals on our brakes have a .010 limit in flex before they start pumping air. This is bearing play plus rotor runout added together. If you accept .008 bearing play it leaves nothing for rotor runout.

The allowable front wheel bearing clearance is .001-.010 with .003-.005 prefereable. Follow that and you will have problems.

In 63 the service manual had us torque the bearing nut to 12 ft/lbs and back off one nut flat and install the cotter pin. This gave us 0-.007. in 71 manual the clearance was increased to .001-.008.

Later chevy said to tighten the nut to 12 ft / lbs then back off until just loose then hand tighten until one of the cotter pin holes lines up. This is .001 to .005

This is the method recommend. Global West whoever they are came up with this and I like it.
While spinning the wheel in the direction of forward vehicle travel, torque the bearing nut to 15ft/lbs, this sets the bearing and grease.
Back off the nut until loose then while rotating in the direction of travel retighten to 50-60 inch pounds, Install the cotter pin without backing off to the nearest cotter pin hole. This give .0005-.001
Now the problem is there is no cotter pin hole??? Check and you will find there are TWO 2 holes in the spindle and the chances are good one of them lines up. If not then you can use valve spring shims under the nut, install one shim try the proceedure agian and check the TWO cotter pin holes.
I have used this for years along with trued/shimmed rotors and the most runout I have in one wheel is .003 total for bearing and runout.
The following users liked this post:
Nosheruk (12-04-2019)
Old 09-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: How to adjust the front wheel bearings