Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 1971 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:33 PM
1971chebby
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB 1971 Convertible

Hello all long time gawker or stalker here….. I thought it was about time that put out what I am looking for and I can’t help but think this site is the best way to go about it. So specifically I am looking for a 1971 Convertible big block in very good to excellent condition. All original true numbers matching car that has been seen by members of this site to confirm its quality.. I am novice in cars but have always loved that generation and obviously being born in 1971 has a tremendous amount of significance to me. I know certain factory build offer more value so any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen some cars in the past however again being a novice I would much rather trust this forum over a salesman that just wants to make a sale. Now if guys know a car that a dealer has and you know it’s pedigree by all means give me a heads up. So really what I am asking is I want some help finding the car that you guys know is a good investment and would buy yourself.

Thanks again

Last edited by 1971chebby; 02-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 71,
Looking for a 71 BB Convertible. Very Nice!!!!
"know is a great investment". MUCH tougher!!!!
I think you can find a good car at a good price but unless it's something very unusual and special, having it be a 'good investment' is tough.
Many people feel if they can sell their car for even close to what they paid for it they've done well when they consider the pleasure they've had from it.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

"Investment Quality" is a car salesman's lingo.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

The investment potential is the equivalent of tying your money to a rock and throwing it into the nearest deep body of water.

Carter
Old 02-03-2015, 11:40 AM
1971chebby
3rd Gear

I should have been more clear regarding investment. I understand that the collectors market is nothing in comparison to other earlier cars. I guess what I was trying to say is that I want a car that is just a little more rare. My thought is that as the years pass the car should at least maintain it's value or go up a couple thousand. I wish I was more knowledgeable regarding these cars but I am not. My only real hope of not getting screwed is to come to a forum like this and seek good advice from solid individuals.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 1971chebby
I should have been more clear regarding investment. I understand that the collectors market is nothing in comparison to other earlier cars. I guess what I was trying to say is that I want a car that is just a little more rare. My thought is that as the years pass the car should at least maintain it's value or go up a couple thousand. I wish I was more knowledgeable regarding these cars but I am not. My only real hope of not getting screwed is to come to a forum like this and seek good advice from solid individuals.
The only "rare" big block version in 1971 was the LS6, a six figure car. All others will most likely go down in value or break even (as Alan has said) if you are lucky.

You should get use to the idea that you will be spending "X" amount of money to purchase a 71 Corvette, then you will spend more money on maintenance, parts, gas, etc. and when it comes time to sell you probably won't break even. Other than that drive it and enjoy it.

Last edited by Revi; 02-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM
1971chebby
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Revi
The only "rare" big block version in 1971 was the LS6, a six figure car. All others will most likely go down in value or break even (as Alan has said) if you are lucky.

You should get use to the idea that you will be spending "X" amount of money to purchase a 71 Corvette, then you will spend more money on maintenance, parts, gas, etc. and when it comes time to sell you probably won't break even. Other than that drive it and enjoy it.
So is there a year in that era that has more value as collector?
Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The '71 LS6 optioned Corvette is your only choice as a rare, collectible Corvette
in that 'era' ('70 to '72 models).

Last edited by early shark; 02-03-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 71,
No, no particular year 68-72 is a particularly wise investment.
Only some specific cars with-in those years.
The cars that MIGHT have investment value are generally those with UNUSUAL performance options. L-88, L-89, LS-6, LT-!, ZR-1, ZR-2.
One must even be VERY careful with those cars financially for various reasons. For instance, it's quite easy to pay too much for one of these special cars, or the car might not actually be what it's being touted to be.
Buying a 68-72 car for reasons other than "I REALLY like it" is sometimes asking for a disappointment.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Babypig
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 71 bb

Hi fella you can call me in ny and talk I might have something for you 516-658-8863 best 5-10 pm. I see you like 71 for your birth year mine is more about the time you were conceived.

Last edited by Babypig; 02-03-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:17 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

some of the advice you are getting is more opinionated than valid.

In general if you buy the car right then expect at worst to get your money back. a 68-72 does not depreciate in the long term. it may depreciate due to economic factors and other intangibles in the short run.

your issue may be how much it appreciates. one car may appreciate faster than another.

a 5% appreciation rate on a 5K car or a 50K car is still 5%. each is equally collectible if your basis is monetary considerations.

wanting a specific year and a specific condition and numbers car does not mean it will appreciate faster than a base car.. it will just cost you more to enter the market.

buy the car right and in the condition you require. take the steps after purchase to maintain its condition and you will be fine. but be sure to consider your acquisition costs ( shipping, shopping, sales tax, title, plates, insurance etc..) and your ability to work on the car yourself in order to make money in the long run.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:55 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Buying a corvette for an investment makes as much sense as buying whole life insurance for an investment. You're money ahead if you buy term insurance and invest the difference in the premiums. Buy the car you like whether it's NOM , NMN or has any other "detractions" from value, and drive it like you stole it. Leave the numbers matching cars to the purists and NCRS guys.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM
rick daniels
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Sorry but I can't agree less. Chrome Bumper cars 1968 - 1972 are going up in value at a quick rate. According to Hagerty a #2 1970 LT1 witch is a nice restored car has gone up in value by $10,000 in the last 3 years. I work with these cars every day and I have seen a big jump in demand and price since 01-12.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB 1971 Convertible

Quick Reply: WTB 1971 Convertible