Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Roadster yel/black w/HT 27800 orig mi

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

How do you keep the top looking that nice? Do you keep the soft top up and the car covered?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:40 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes Doc, I keep the car covered with the top up.
When I bought the car I didn't know if the top was good or bad; didn't know if the window was brittle and or the vinyl would crack when used. I actually figured it would need a new top. The prior owner had the car for 12 years and never had the top up (don't know prior to that). He told me that it was early spring, but a very cold day when he drove it home and remembered it well because he "froze".
Of course I looked at it, but the window was covered with a wax like greasy material that made it look very opaque and very yellow and the black top was very dry and dull looking so I didn't know what to expect. I was very careful cleaning the window, sat it in the sun, and cleaned the vinyl a number of times with a Mother's product. Possibly keeping the top down all those years and that wax like coating helped to preserve it. The window is very flexible, not water white, but close, the heat seal is 100% intact, no loose or deteriorating stitching and no cracks in the piping or top at the fold areas. Before the cleaning I was sure it was original to the car; after cleaning I thought that it may have been a dated reproduction top because it now looked so good, but all evidence tells me it is the original; the frame, rubber, glue, the kind of crude date and why would someone pay extra for a dated top and rip off the care label.
Most times there are good and bad "surprises" when you buy anything used, but this was a really big "good surprise".

Originally Posted by Docbrock
How do you keep the top looking that nice? Do you keep the soft top up and the car covered?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:00 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Default Couple new pictures.

PA does not require a front plate and No holes were ever drilled for a bracket.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

bump for nice C3
The following users liked this post:
toylman (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:14 PM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks Doc

Nice original door panels with original dated glass. R glass AN Sept. 1971 L glass CN Nov. 1971. When I replaced the door main weatherstrips the right panel appeared like it was taken off the first time since new.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi T,
There's been a thread about the Comfort Weave' door panel detail recently.
Your pics show how very distinct the pattern is in the originals compared to the reproductions!
NICE!
Regards,
Alan

There are a couple of parts in your pictures that I'd give my eye teeth for!!!!!
Nice original parts on this car.
toylman (09-29-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Thank you Alan. Up to a few years ago, I could never understand why some collectors loved survivor cars. Although this car cannot be called a survivor (paint, exhaust, tires, calipers, etc), it has almost all original parts; mostly because of the low mileage and lack of any abuse. Correctly restored cars like yours' are still my favorite since they look so nice and have restored/refurbished original parts. But, so few restored cars come close to your workmanship, so getting a really nice original makes also makes sense.
Original seat covers, leather shift boot, front carpet; all in beautiful condition

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi T,
There's been a thread about the Comfort Weave' door panel detail recently.
Your pics show how very distinct the pattern is in the originals compared to the reproductions!
NICE!
Regards,
Alan

There are a couple of parts in your pictures that I'd give my eye teeth for!!!!!
Nice original parts on this car.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:19 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Bump for a beautiful original car. I do not understand why these beautiful 68 to 72 cars are not selling for more money. A midyear or straight axle car in this condition would be sold in a heartbeat and for top dollar. I wish that I had the space for this car.

Jay
Old 10-12-2015, 12:29 AM
sbaba
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Bump for a beautiful original car. I do not understand why these beautiful 68 to 72 cars are not selling for more money. A midyear or straight axle car in this condition would be sold in a heartbeat and for top dollar. I wish that I had the space for this car.

Jay
This is a very beautiful car and the best color in my opinion. You cannot compare a C3, even a chrome bumper, to a straight axle. They made less than half the number of straight axles as compared to C3's.

There are some big block chrome bumpers going for a lot of money but the mid-years are just more desirable to more people and fewer of them left.
toylman (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sbaba
This is a very beautiful car and the best color in my opinion. You cannot compare a C3, even a chrome bumper, to a straight axle. They made less than half the number of straight axles as compared to C3's.

There are some big block chrome bumpers going for a lot of money but the mid-years are just more desirable to more people and fewer of them left.
While I agree with your overall comment, when you compare original cars in this condition you balance the numbers with straight axles or midyears that are in the same or similar condition. I believe that the biggest reason these cars do not bring more money is because the buyers in this group are not as well informed across the board as buyers for the earlier cars. Example I own a 70 model 350 / 350 hp factory A/C convertible that is much harder to find than a 68 to 72 BB or LT1 but most people automatically think that a BB or LT1 is more valuable just because those are the cars that get talked about. 1970 is the lowest production for Corvettes since 1962 due to the GM strike.

This 72 that toylman is selling is a special car even though it is not a high horsepower (not available in 72 per say since HP ratings were dropped) or special performance motor. The condition and history alone should sell this car.

I hope that somebody buys this car soon.

Jay

Last edited by deejaydu; 10-13-2015 at 01:05 PM.
toylman (10-13-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Thank you sbaba and Jay. Cars equipped like yours Jay, are very hard to find; as you said because of production and the options. Although this '72 is a base 4 speed it's the low mileage and condition that sets it apart.
Here is a couple pages from the December Corvette magazine written and photographed by Richard Prince with a story on a car I used to own. Overall this '72 is more collectible and in overall better condition than the '74. And the '74 is a beautiful car.
Also the same magazine had current estimated C3 values. I have had offers below what I would take (and what I paid!).

Originally Posted by deejaydu
While I agree with your overall comment, when you compare original cars in this condition you balance the numbers with straight axles or midyears that are in the same or similar condition. I believe that the biggest reason these cars do not bring more money is because the buyers in this group are not as well informed across the board as buyers for the earlier cars. Example I own a 70 model 350 / 350 hp factory A/C convertible that is much harder to find than a 68 to 72 BB or LT1 but most people automatically think that a BB or LT1 is more valuable just because those are the cars that get talked about. 1970 is the lowest production for Corvettes since 1962 due to the GM strike.

This 72 that toylman is selling is a special car even though it is not a high horsepower (not available in 72 per say since HP ratings were dropped) or special performance motor. The condition and history alone should sell this car.

I hope that somebody buys this car soon.

Jay

Last edited by toylman; 10-23-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:18 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Toylman thanks for posting the article. That is a beautiful 74. I guess that this is just not the best time of year to sell a Corvette. I am sure come Spring time your 72 will sell. I own several now and cannot buy another one at this time otherwise I am afraid that I would have to own your 72.

Good luck to you and I hope that it sells quickly.

Jay
Old 10-18-2015, 02:04 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

That is a beautiful 74 vert,great color.I think your72 is priced right and will sell...
Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Nice Car good luck with selling it!!! Have you ever listed it on www.usedcorvettesforsale.com? I sell a lot of Corvettes off that site. Just sold a restored 1974 L-82 4 Speed loaded orange coupe that was sold new at Scott Chevy in Emmaus Pa for $25K and it went to France.

I also sold off that site a 1978 Silver Anniversary with 200 original miles and it went to an oil baron over in the Persian Gulf. I also got 25K for that one.
toylman (10-22-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 09:04 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice Ed. I listed it on usedcorvettes; doesn't cost that much and certainly can't hurt.
Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Nice Car good luck with selling it!!! Have you ever listed it on www.usedcorvettesforsale.com? I sell a lot of Corvettes off that site. Just sold a restored 1974 L-82 4 Speed loaded orange coupe that was sold new at Scott Chevy in Emmaus Pa for $25K and it went to France.

I also sold off that site a 1978 Silver Anniversary with 200 original miles and it went to an oil baron over in the Persian Gulf. I also got 25K for that one.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

My goodness toylman that is one beautiful roadster. I cannot believe that it is still for sale, must be the economic times.

Stunning and I wish I had the money. Best of luck.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:19 PM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
My goodness toylman that is one beautiful roadster. I cannot believe that it is still for sale, must be the economic times.

Stunning and I wish I had the money. Best of luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Roadster yel/black w/HT 27800 orig mi

Old 11-05-2015, 04:26 PM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Default Youtube Videos

Here are some youtube videos that I made. They are quite amateurish, but the good thing is that they are short; 30 sec to 2 min.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:21 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Great video of a great 72. Wish my headlight doors flew open like that...
toylman (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Triig
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow beautiful car! Exactly what I would like to have some day. Just got married and need to sell the wife's house so I'm not paying two mortgages, otherwise I'd be all over this.
toylman (11-06-2015)

Quick Reply: 1972 Roadster yel/black w/HT 27800 orig mi