C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

turbo lt1 boost leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I took it for a test ride yesterday and even though it idles and cruises down the road just fine in neutral it will not rev past 4500 rpms, it's like it just runs out of breath it doesn't feel like it's cutting out or misfiring... I guess it's time I pull the plugs and see what they look like

Last edited by Impala Balko; 07-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Well I've found out all my issues.... not a boost leak.... the car broke down because the O2 sensors let go because the heater elements stopped working and my mechanic determined that the turbo was not spooling at all.... so i have a junk turbo. I am going to order another turbo and see what happens. I am guessing the premature death occurred a little while ago when the scavenge oil pump broke and I think it blew out the seals. I have found that I can just order the center section and reuse the housing. I may redo the oiling system to a separate oiling system with a cooler and filter... how big of an oil reservoir do i need for this
Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Impala Balko
I may redo the oiling system to a separate oiling system with a cooler and filter... how big of an oil reservoir do i need for this
That is my plan. I was thinking that since it's rear mount, it would be OK w/o a cooler...but maybe I'm F.O.S.

I was figuring a gallon for a sump, but that was going to do the cooling too. I doubt that you NEED even a quart, to actually lubricate the bushings.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That is my plan. I was thinking that since it's rear mount, it would be OK w/o a cooler...but maybe I'm F.O.S.

I was figuring a gallon for a sump, but that was going to do the cooling too. I doubt that you NEED even a quart, to actually lubricate the bushings.
With my turbo the oil does the cooling so that's why I figured I'd use a quart or 2 dry sump tank with a cooler and my existing scavenge pump should be able to draw and return the oil and it will be mounted after the turbo in its existing location
Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Impala Balko
With my turbo the oil does the cooling so that's why I figured I'd use a quart or 2 dry sump tank with a cooler and my existing scavenge pump should be able to draw and return the oil and it will be mounted after the turbo in its existing location
Sounds reasonable. I guess my turbo will use the oil as cooling too....I didn't think it would get that hot, being in back. I should probably take some measurements of EGT's out at the rear of the car.

I agree that your scavenge pump should supply enough oil. I don't think the turbo really needs much pressure to stay lubricated; just a steady supply of oil should be enough, I think.

You'll have to post some pics!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Sounds reasonable. I guess my turbo will use the oil as cooling too....I didn't think it would get that hot, being in back. I should probably take some measurements of EGT's out at the rear of the car.

I agree that your scavenge pump should supply enough oil. I don't think the turbo really needs much pressure to stay lubricated; just a steady supply of oil should be enough, I think.

You'll have to post some pics!
I never thought EGTs would be high back there but I am assuming the oil regardless of EGTs takes a high temp beating not only contending with exhaust temps but the friction a turbo generates at the speed it spins, this is why I think it would need a cooler, especially if it is a smaller 1 or 2 quart system. ... here are some pics of my setup.

A lot of these photos were taken during the mock up phases so some things have been tweaked slightly but everything is a tight fit under there

Last edited by Impala Balko; 08-09-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Super Cool looking! Thanks for posting the pics. Love it!

You've done what I am planning, for the most part. It looks great! Bottom of the car is as sexy as the top.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice! You going to make any autocrosses?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Nice! You going to make any autocrosses?
I hope to.... I signed up for the 6th one when I realized my car totally wasn't going to cooperate so i took my daily driver and still had a blast. But i hope to have everything ready for the next event and I am going to give this car the beating it deserves
Old 08-13-2015, 11:16 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks Good! keep us updated
Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Well I took the old turbo out and there was some shaft play some of the fins were bent but the housings weren't scared too bad. After looking at the exhaust side of the turbo I noticed that it looked like there was some solid white pieces inside the housing. After I got all that cleaned out I noticed that it was the inside of the passenger side catalytic converter which is now pretty hollow. So i think the cat may have caused this failure with the turbo.

Old turbo inducer/exducer blades on the compressor side

New inducer/exducer blades on the compressor side

Old exhaust impellers notice the (bent blade tips)

New exhaust impellers

Old 08-16-2015, 06:23 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

!!!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Yikes. That is some carnage. Cats definitely tore up the exhaust side. IDK what hurt the intake side though. Bummer.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Yikes. That is some carnage. Cats definitely tore up the exhaust side. IDK what hurt the intake side though. Bummer.
The turbo had some shaft play when I took it out and i did have the pump fail on me a couple months back so I don't know if that affected the seals too. But it looks like on the compressor side it touched the housing a little bit but the housing didn't look that bad with only some lighter scratches. So maybe a little pieces of cat broke off causing the turbine to become off balance causing it to tear itself apart. I am lucky the housings didn't get torn up because I am reusing them.

Last edited by Impala Balko; 08-18-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Well the new turbo fixed it the car runs so strong now... starts spooling around 2k rpms and pulls hard to redline... I just need to play with the boost controller some more so i can get 10 lbs out of her

Old 08-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Take it to the track now?
Old 08-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Take it to the track now?
I can't wait to see what I can get in the quarter mile bit most of all i want to see how she behaves on the autocross... because she is very mild mannered on the streets

Get notified of new replies

To turbo lt1 boost leak

Old 08-24-2015, 08:02 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Glad you fixed it.

Bay State has an autocross coming up

The SCCA has one Sat
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Glad you fixed it.

Bay State has an autocross coming up

The SCCA has one Sat
I may go to the one on Saturday I just have to run it by the boss... when is the Baystate one
Old 08-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Autocrossing this car was great the car was pretty well composed despite the crappy Goodyear tires and my equally horible driving. My driving was just off, i was DNF'ing and picking off cones left and right however I did see over 4 lbs of boost in some parts, and i did have a couple decent drifts. Over all I am happy and the car is really fun on the streets and track.

Last edited by Impala Balko; 08-31-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: turbo lt1 boost leak