Old 02-26-2005, 10:50 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I just did this today in order to get the car on my dollys. I needed to make some room in the garage and since the battery is out and stored this is the easiest way to move her around. I got the dollys as a Christmas gift. They came from Harbor Freight and work great!
Hope this helps. Are you a Doctor? (I work with a Palestenian MD whose sign-on name in our clinic is Habib. He says it means Doctor in Arabic.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:12 AM
habib
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Jack up 86 vette

Thanks so much for the diagram. No, I am not a MD. I appreciate the diagram. JUst a few questions more, Is this the proper location to jack the car up? 2- What do you put on the jack so it doesnt leave mark from the jack. 3- Do you have to unlock the t top and doors so they dont crack? Anything else so I dont ruin the fiberglass body? Thank you, habib
Old 02-27-2005, 09:13 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

There are three separate lift approaches... from the side as in corvetteronw's picture... tow variants have you jacking just behind the front wheels and just in front of the back wheels. You will find little markets (tirangles) on the rocker panels. You put the jack between the marks. I NEVER let the jack hit the body. I always carelfully position the jack to grab the frame behind the rocker panel.

The second is a front lift. position the jack to put the head under the front cross member That will lift the whole front end at once. The fornt of the Vette is so low that you may neeed to drive on some 2 inch thick planks first to give some extra ground clearance

The third lift needs a special attachment for your jack. It is called eithre a jack a vette or C4 E-Z lift. It is basically a mini I beam that sits in the jack head. From the rear bumpber you push your jack forward allowing the I beam to slip between the dual exhause pipes and contact the rear differential... You then hack up the rear end all at once using the rear diff. as the lift point. The I beam prevents you from crushing your exhuast. you can get one of these devices from
www.corvettegadgetman
Old 02-27-2005, 09:23 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Great advice from rws.1
I'll quote from Richard Newton's book "101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996"
"Simply place the jack at the center of the side frame rail and raise the entire side of the car at once. Remember if you think of a NASCAR pit stop you've got the idea."
I use a 1" thick board and place the jack under the frame rail. I have a vert so I don't know about the targa roof. I left my doors closed. Others may have different opinions though.
By the way. You gotta buy the above book. It has a wealth of info.

Get notified of new replies

To How To Jack Up My C4........

Quick Reply: How To Jack Up My C4........