C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

door ajar

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM
LSUgoTIGER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door ajar

I'm getting the incessant light flickering inside the car when driving at night. It used to be only when I hit a decent size bump, or if the car flexed a little pulling into a drive with a little curb.....but it has progressed to the point of complete insanity. I can be sitting still, and it's like a strobe light inside my car. The "door ajar" light flashes in tune with the interior lights. Also, if it's having one of those flickering fits when I try and park and leave it, the lights will stay on, and I have to play with it for 5 minutes so the lights don't stay on all night.

The question is.......how can I tell which switch is bad? Drivers? Passenger? maybe even the hatch switch? I've seen that the replacements are generally crap, and I may have to buy several to find one good one.....should I just order new switches for all 3?

Adam
'93 coupe
Old 03-08-2006, 02:23 PM
mpcorvette
Instructor

Mine does the same thing but only on long road trips. I am very interested to see where this post goes...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 93 coupe "It's a Ruby" when you open the hatch only the 2 bulbs on the HALO? light up. I think it's called the halo?
I have read where people tape a coin to the door jamb to act as a shim for the door ajar switch? You could put some good duct tape over one switch at a time to try to isolate the problem?

Last edited by kalister1; 03-08-2006 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-08-2006, 03:13 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

I'd suggest you first try putting a coupla layers of duct tape over the plastic buttons on each doorjamb that the door switch plungers contact when the door closes. More than likely, the plunger on one of the door switches is not being pushed quite far enough in when the door is closed.

If the duct tape solves the problem, figure out which switch is causing it by removing the tape from one door at a time -- then you can try to (carefully) pull the leader on the plunger a bit further out of the switch body (these plungers have a self-adjusting, friction-fit leader on them), or you can just replace the offending switch.

Be well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 03-08-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Red Dragon 79
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

i just got through with this mayhem garbage in my car...the EXACT same thing was happening, (plus my car alarm would sound randomly)...until one day i pulled over out of insanity and took my key and played with the door jam switch...if you look at the button on the door it has three parts, the part that mounts to the door which will be stationary, then there is the large button and then third there is a little plastic pin in the center of the button, i pried that little guy out with my key being careful not to snap it. it solved the problem for several months until i could purchase a new door switch recently. i received my new door switch two weeks ago (about $14.00 total from ecklers) and the new switch has that little pin completely extended, whereas my malfunctioning switch was pushed completely in. i am planning on installing it tomorrow and can update you on how that goes, although since i have pried the old pin out the lights didn't flicker any longer, but a heavy rainstorm and me leaving the windows down on a trip i think took out my switch for good, since now the lights won't come on at all and the radio won't shut off when i exit the car. i decided to change it.
the way i was able to pin point the problem was by rolling down the windows with the car on and jiggling each door and as i did so the lights would flicker. the window adds extra pressure to the doors while they are closed, making them a little more solid, by rolling them down the door is a little more vulnerable. might want to try that, and if you can pin point it i would recommend replacing the little monsters instead of prying it out(although that may be a temporary fix). hope that helps
Old 03-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragon 79
i just got through with this mayhem garbage in my car...the EXACT same thing was happening, (plus my car alarm would sound randomly)...until one day i pulled over out of insanity and took my key and played with the door jam switch...if you look at the button on the door it has three parts, the part that mounts to the door which will be stationary, then there is the large button and then third there is a little plastic pin in the center of the button, i pried that little guy out with my key being careful not to snap it. it solved the problem for several months until i could purchase a new door switch recently. i received my new door switch two weeks ago (about $14.00 total from ecklers) and the new switch has that little pin completely extended, whereas my malfunctioning switch was pushed completely in. i am planning on installing it tomorrow and can update you on how that goes, although since i have pried the old pin out the lights didn't flicker any longer, but a heavy rainstorm and me leaving the windows down on a trip i think took out my switch for good, since now the lights won't come on at all and the radio won't shut off when i exit the car. i decided to change it.
the way i was able to pin point the problem was by rolling down the windows with the car on and jiggling each door and as i did so the lights would flicker. the window adds extra pressure to the doors while they are closed, making them a little more solid, by rolling them down the door is a little more vulnerable. might want to try that, and if you can pin point it i would recommend replacing the little monsters instead of prying it out(although that may be a temporary fix). hope that helps
One piece of advice for you. When you get the switch replaced & are closing the door for the first use gentle but firm pressure. Donot close the door as you normally would. Others have had the pin break ioff.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 PM
HOOBS
Burning Brakes

AndDo Not Drop The Metal Bracket In The Door That Holds The Set Screws In Place!

Get notified of new replies

To door ajar

Quick Reply: door ajar