"never driven in the rain"

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Gazpar
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default "never driven in the rain"

you see it all the time...

for sale: corvette, never driven in the rain...

In florida, it is almost impossible to NOT get caught in "some kind of rain".

With no warning, it will sunny in your front yard, and rain across the street. (It sounds crazy, but here it happens). It will rain without a cloud in the sky here for a few minutes several times a week in the summer.

MY question is: How many people on the forum have NEVER had a drop of rain hit your car??????
I expect the answer to be very few....
Old 08-07-2006, 02:18 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never had a car to just sit in a garage all the time. Unless the mileage is very very low I don't see how it never go rained on. Wonder if these folks every wash there cars (water)?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Snow, mud, rain, rocks, tire rubber, paint from other cars, wild animal blood, and even some offroading, my vette has seen it all.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Bill L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try my best not to drive any of my summer cars in the rain, but I usually get caught in it once or twice each summer.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:17 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazpar
you see it all the time...

for sale: corvette, never driven in the rain...

In florida, it is almost impossible to NOT get caught in "some kind of rain".

With no warning, it will sunny in your front yard, and rain across the street. (It sounds crazy, but here it happens). It will rain without a cloud in the sky here for a few minutes several times a week in the summer.

MY question is: How many people on the forum have NEVER had a drop of rain hit your car??????
I expect the answer to be very few....
My brother has lived in the Sebring area for the last 35 years... I can tell you right here and right now, that there are some really wacky rains down that way!!!

A summary:

Rain storms that literally come down the street.

Rain storms that get caught by the upper air currents, and lap around the Ridge in Highlands County, hitting the same spot 3 times - or more.

Rain that will pour a mile away, and do nothing where you are.

My brother once had it raining in the front yard, whilst he was in the back yard mowing.

Oh, yea, the rain is wack.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
rodder robert
Instructor

Just got back from Bowling Green, and all of the new ones are wet at the factory! If it has never been wet by rain, it has never been driven!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
86VX1
Drifting

i love driving my car in the rain, it's the only time that you can drift the car and not destroy tires and everything else.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess my car could be called a garage queen, but it's been rained on and driven in rain. I don't see what the big deal with "never driven in rain" is. The car won't melt and there are alot worse things to get on your car than rain, like bird crap, road tar, pine sap etc. . I fully expect my car to get pretty grungy when I drive it to Carlisle this year, but you know what? It'll clean up good as new. That's what those 15 coats of Zaino are for.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
HighOutput
Racer

Mine's never been in the rain!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the most part my vette is kept clean in the garage, but I have never let the prospect of rain prevent an outing. So yes it's been heavily rained on. Some of those rainy episodes have been on the best road trips ever.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Snow, mud, rain, rocks, tire rubber, paint from other cars, wild animal blood, and even some offroading, my vette has seen it all.
I don't even want to know.....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Dandy97
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a few drops on the nose once when I forgot to close the garage door during a rain storm.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah we had one of those stupid showers today. My clean Vette, rained a whole 3 minutes just enough to make a mess. So now I've got to do a quick wash to get the crap it left behind off the finish.

Andy a mile away heck try a block away. There are days I leave the house for work and I get a block away it's pouring, I go a couple more blocks I'm at work and it's dry. Just odd... they say if your in FL and you don't like the weather, wait five minutes it will change.

Heck mine, we go through anything doesn't hurt the Vette. You can always wash it up later. Only time it erks me is if I get it all polised and pristine looking sure enough it will rain and then I need to go somewhere before it dries up. So it's re-rinse and dry it when I get back.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodder robert
Just got back from Bowling Green, and all of the new ones are wet at the factory! If it has never been wet by rain, it has never been driven!

Just got back a week ago myself and you are right - every new one built goes through the "storm" machine.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
RonVette2
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah mine like probably a lot of others has been caught in the rain, I don't plan on taking it out if I know of bad stormy rain about to happen, but have driven through rain a lot of times. I fortunate to have bought my most recent 1994 coupe and it just had a complete weather strip kit installed, so new that you have to shut the door(s) hard with windows up just to get them to close. That was the only thing that I did not like with a couple of the other C4's that I had, a little leaking when it was raining or washing, not anymore though

Oh yeah, and I only have a carport attached to my house so when it rains hard it does still get wet a little... but I did just buy a Wolf car cover today from another member, so it will be covered soon. Not really because of the wetness, but the Competition Yellow attracts bugs, that leave little bug sh*ts all over the paint, no kidding. Does anyone else Vettes attract many bugs like that?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
drock92
Instructor

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Some of these cars are 20 yrs. old and never rained on? I try not to do alot of rain driving, just because I like it clean, but it rains and that's that. I took my car to Big bear and to Vegas on the same weekend and it rained the whole time, but don't tell anyone, because when I sell it, if I ever do, I'm going to say it has never seen rain. You see it's blind and can only hear out of 1 ear.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A while back we were seeking shelter from the storm in a local restraunt the nite before a big cruise. While in line for dinner, we overheard a conversation between two other Vette drivers. One was almost in tears that his (C5) had never seen rain before. The guy was acting real pathetic like his car was devalued! We were cracking up!

Get notified of new replies

To "never driven in the rain"

Old 08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I think car owners that abhor rain landing on their car are pyschotic !
Yet they blast more water on their car when they wash it then it could ever possibly experience if they drove it in a rainstorm for 8 hours. Why is washing ok and rain not? I have owned one at a time, 4 vettes (currently an 87) and driven them every day in every kind of weather and road condition. It is a rare happening when I wash my vette and it fails to rain within one day. None I owned ever melted or dissolved !
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
Why is washing ok and rain not?
In the rain, road dirt gets splashed and accumulates underneath where it's hard to clean.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It isn't the rain getting on the topsides that is the bother, it is the "clean" undercarriage that is trying to be kept pristine. So, really, it isn't worth a lot of broadband to continue hammering those who don't want to drive their Vette in the weather.

Quick Reply: "never driven in the rain"