C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Courtesy lights timer

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
freakinwalt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy lights timer

Greetings all, On my '92 Vette the courtesy lights stay on all the time even while driving. I assume there is a controller somewhere for this. It also controls the electronic climate controls and the stereo. Can someone please point me in the right direction on this?
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:14 PM
polo93LT1
Racer

Default Not an expert

Hey - I'm not an expert but this "sounds" like faulty door switch on either one (or both - maybe) of the doors.

If the door switch doesn't see the door closed, then the interior lights stay on and, pretty sure that the radio probably won't work either. Not sure about the climate control.

Hopefully one of the more "learned" forum folks will respond with better info.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:17 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by polo93LT1
Hey - I'm not an expert but this "sounds" like faulty door switch on either one (or both - maybe) of the doors.
More than one forum member has reported having to shim the door switch(es) to get their lights to go out.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 11-28-2006, 03:21 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if radio shuts off when you open either door, if it does the jam switches are ok. Next check to see if the the door lock key slots are oriented vertical, if not that is your likely problem.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:30 PM
polo93LT1
Racer

Originally Posted by scranage
Check to see if radio shuts off when you open either door, if it does the jam switches are ok. Next check to see if the the door lock key slots are oriented vertical, if not that is your likely problem.
WOW - Really?? That's the first time I've heard about the key slots being vertical - that's pretty wild.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
freakinwalt
Intermediate

The radio always shuts off whenever a door is opened. I will check the key switches for vertical alignment, that makes sense.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chased that one on my 92 for a while before I figured it out. The FSM diag tree for that failure talks about the keyswitches needing to be eliminated as a failure before doing all the other diag stuff, but they don't mention the slots just need to be lined up vertically. When I have this problem, I just sweep trhe locks both ways a couple of times, make sure they are lined vertically when I remove the key, and all is well.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a solution to your problem, however , to answer your question on controller. The CCM ( Central Control Module ) buryied deep in the dash controls almost all electric/electronic features. It turnes off the courtsey lights in 10 minutes if the door is left open. I won't turn them on if the light sensor signals it is too bright. I also controls the odometer reading, oil change light, A/C & heat, your switches that toggle the readings on the dash plus more I can't think of now.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 AM
freakinwalt
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I checked the door locks and moved them around, so far no difference. I will 'sweep' them like scrange said. It does seem to turn them off sometimes. I do get a CEL with a code 26, relay control. Might be related to the CCM. Snow today so no Vette driving.
Thanks again for your help. If any of ya'll have investing questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
dwblindref
Racer

Default light staying on or off

It may be your rear hatch striker that turns off the light not making contact. I had that problem with a '93 and again with a '96, both coupes. I use the little add on to let air into the car while it is parked, raising the rear hatch about 1 inch. After time it does not make contact with the oin.

Try that, may work. If a ragtop then I'm lost.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:10 PM
freakinwalt
Intermediate

Thanks, it is a coupe. I will check the rear striker. Right now the Vette is covered with snow. Sorry, but wifes car gets the garage since she can deny me sex.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy lights timer

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights timer